radiation

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Day four of my radiation and I feel pretty tired and emotional. It must be in my head to feel tired already, but it made me realize that I had not given radiation much respect. I figured it would be nothing to get through it. I might need to gear up for this a little. Any suggestions for easier journey? I am being radiated at four sites. Does that mean I am going to be four times as tired as one site radiation? What is the average number of sites? Thank you so much for the time you spend helping me! love, Joyce

Comments

• Hi joyce, sorry I don't think I can be of much help. I had partial breast radiation-2 intense treatments a day for 5 days. Was not long enough for any severe side effects. But I have friends that had the more traditional whole breast treatment for 5 or 6 weeks and they were quite tired by the second week. Both were able to go to work each day but had no energy for extras like going anywhere after work or on weekends. Lots of naps and good nutrition helped too. I don't know about multiple sites-I have never heard of that before. Hang in there--you can do this! Eileen
  • unknown said:

Hi joyce, sorry I don't think I can be of much help. I had partial breast radiation-2 intense treatments a day for 5 days. Was not long enough for any severe side effects. But I have friends that had the more traditional whole breast treatment for 5 or 6 weeks and they were quite tired by the second week. Both were able to go to work each day but had no energy for extras like going anywhere after work or on weekends. Lots of naps and good nutrition helped too. I don't know about multiple sites-I have never heard of that before. Hang in there--you can do this! Eileen

Thanks, Eileen. When I was first pregnant I couldn't figure out why I got so big so fast. Turned out it was twins. Maybe it is normal to be this tired this fast. I certainly don't want to be. Your encouragement helps. love, Joyce
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Options
    Hi Joyce..I am nearing the end stretch of my 7 week course of radiation..every day of the week for 7 weeks. I will shortly be starting the pin-point radiation directly to the incision site. And I was beat from the get-go. I am on my feet for most of the day in a manufacturing plant and I did work throughtout my treatment..even one week where I worked 58 hours. Plus I go to school two nights a week. Believe me, it was not easy. I sleep-walked through much of it.Starting next week, my doctor has signed the papers for me to have 4 weeks off. So I will have a few weeks with no appointments to run to and can just relax. I wish I could have taken off much sooner but it was a case of finances. And I have not eaten the right things as I should because again it came down to finances. But you know, I thought the other night that I really did deserve some time off. I have spent the past 4 years being a caregiver, then a patient with spinal cord surgery, they going through therapy to learn how to walk again, then a funeral for my Mom, then banruptcy, then a move with 30 days notice, then this beast showed up to visit me. I have earned the right to do nothing for awhile. And this is something I never did..take care of me for a change. A lot of my tiredness is just plain due to trying to recover from all that has happened to me. And a lot is due to the radiation.If I could tell you anything at all, it would be to just be good to yourself. Keep the best, most positive thoughts you can think of. Get plenty of rest and try to eat foods with a lot of protein. Drink losts of fluids. And ask God to give you the strength to keep going. I wish you well and send a hug...Cindy
  • kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Hi Joyce,

Radiation exhausted me, too. I attributed it to the fact that I was barely over the effects of chemo, and then the zapping started. And it's a pain to go every day, isn't it? I didn't know where the side effects of one started and the other ended. I'm guessing if we had done radiation first, maybe it would be a different story. I actually had an obnoxious aunt who had undergone radiation tell me that I was being a wimp. That she had run a marathon during her treatment. I told her that that was wonderful and that I'd find her story even more inspirational if she had undergone chemo before the rads. That shut her up; she's always been a bit of an ****!

I was radiated in two areas -- first the affected breast and then the lumpectomy cavity. I don't have an answer for you on whether you are getting more radiation because they are zapping four sites (and that's making you even more tired), or if they just redistribute the amount. You should ask your radiologist about that. Of course, if he or she is anything like mine, he'll be non-specific and non committal!

Make sure you keep the areas moisturized because that burn will build. And when you're tired, rest. Don't push yourself -- this isn't a race and you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You know the drill on eating right and drinking lots of fluids.

You're almost there, Joyce! Just keep the end result in your head. I did have to go on short term disability after radiation because of the fatigue. I think I took three weeks off. In retrospect, I wish I had taken more. I needed it.

Lots of love to you, Joyce. You are a true warrior in my eyes. Email me anytime to chat, complain, or whatever. I'm here for you!

Kim
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I start radiation Monday, so I don't yet have experience to share, but the chemo nurses have warned me that radiation does cause fatigue, not to take it lightly. The Radiation Dr. said the same, though he said radiation side effects come on more slowly than chemo side effects. I know in my case fatigue causes higher emotional state (only the unpleasant emotions, for some reason...would that the positive ones would be increased instead).

It will be interesting to compare notes as we both progress through this.

Hope this helps a little, seof
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I can't comment on the tiredness so soon. But I can tell you that I met with dermatologist today who heads up the only department in the world that exclusively treats dermatology problems for cancer patients who had chemo or are going through radiation. I will pass along any information I get to you. Maybe it will help. Hugs, Marilynn
  • bev49
    bev49 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi Joyce, I had 33 rads, 1 every day, and found fatigue a big part of the side affects. It was explained to me that this too is making our bodies replace the cells that are affected by the rads, so our body is working overtime to rebuild them, so we get tired. The more treatments we have, the harder our body works, and we just get more tired as time goes by. Make sure to talk to your technicion about what kind of cream to use on the burn, and how to take care of it properly. I had whole breast treatment, so I am not able to help you with the difference in receiving it in four sites, but you should be able to ask questions while they are getting you ready, and they should be able to give the answers. The cancer center where I got my rads had a massage therapist on hand, and once a week when I was done with my rads, I got a full body massage. I couldn't believe how tense I was about the entire situation, and she was able to work out the knots in my muscles, which did help me relax some. I find a lot of people who never had rads think it is just a breeze, and I don't really talk about it to many people because of that attitude. But here, as sisters, we can be honest with each other, and let you know what to expect. It is another agressive attack on our bodies, and we should treat it with respect. You will do fine, but please don't make the mistake of thinking this is something I should take in stride, and not feel the affects. Let us know how your doing, and also let us know what they say about having it done on 4 sites, then we can have a better understanding too. Take care, time will pass quickly, and soon you will be done.
    Blessings,
    bev49
  • Cindy54 said:

Hi Joyce..I am nearing the end stretch of my 7 week course of radiation..every day of the week for 7 weeks. I will shortly be starting the pin-point radiation directly to the incision site. And I was beat from the get-go. I am on my feet for most of the day in a manufacturing plant and I did work throughtout my treatment..even one week where I worked 58 hours. Plus I go to school two nights a week. Believe me, it was not easy. I sleep-walked through much of it.Starting next week, my doctor has signed the papers for me to have 4 weeks off. So I will have a few weeks with no appointments to run to and can just relax. I wish I could have taken off much sooner but it was a case of finances. And I have not eaten the right things as I should because again it came down to finances. But you know, I thought the other night that I really did deserve some time off. I have spent the past 4 years being a caregiver, then a patient with spinal cord surgery, they going through therapy to learn how to walk again, then a funeral for my Mom, then banruptcy, then a move with 30 days notice, then this beast showed up to visit me. I have earned the right to do nothing for awhile. And this is something I never did..take care of me for a change. A lot of my tiredness is just plain due to trying to recover from all that has happened to me. And a lot is due to the radiation.If I could tell you anything at all, it would be to just be good to yourself. Keep the best, most positive thoughts you can think of. Get plenty of rest and try to eat foods with a lot of protein. Drink losts of fluids. And ask God to give you the strength to keep going. I wish you well and send a hug...Cindy

Dear Cindy -One thing I love about this site is that when we write to each other, we write to ourselves. Please take all the advice you gave me and I will take it too. We will both be sweet to ourselves, nurturing and comforting. We will take the time to heal, gently. I wish you the best - you have certainly had some rough bumps. Here's to smooth roads and beautiful scenery! Thanks for writing, love, Joyce
  • kbc4869 said:

Hi Joyce,

Radiation exhausted me, too. I attributed it to the fact that I was barely over the effects of chemo, and then the zapping started. And it's a pain to go every day, isn't it? I didn't know where the side effects of one started and the other ended. I'm guessing if we had done radiation first, maybe it would be a different story. I actually had an obnoxious aunt who had undergone radiation tell me that I was being a wimp. That she had run a marathon during her treatment. I told her that that was wonderful and that I'd find her story even more inspirational if she had undergone chemo before the rads. That shut her up; she's always been a bit of an ****!

I was radiated in two areas -- first the affected breast and then the lumpectomy cavity. I don't have an answer for you on whether you are getting more radiation because they are zapping four sites (and that's making you even more tired), or if they just redistribute the amount. You should ask your radiologist about that. Of course, if he or she is anything like mine, he'll be non-specific and non committal!

Make sure you keep the areas moisturized because that burn will build. And when you're tired, rest. Don't push yourself -- this isn't a race and you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You know the drill on eating right and drinking lots of fluids.

You're almost there, Joyce! Just keep the end result in your head. I did have to go on short term disability after radiation because of the fatigue. I think I took three weeks off. In retrospect, I wish I had taken more. I needed it.

Lots of love to you, Joyce. You are a true warrior in my eyes. Email me anytime to chat, complain, or whatever. I'm here for you!

Kim

Thanks Kim, I feel you there for me. And I think you are the warrior and a bit of a role model for me too. Great retort to Auntie Marathon, by the way! I'd write more now, but I think I'll go train for a triatholon..no, wait, I think I will have dinner and go to bed at nine instead. It is a grueling schedule, eating and sleeping, (my biathalon) but I am up to the challenge. Love knowing you, Joyce
  • seof said:

I start radiation Monday, so I don't yet have experience to share, but the chemo nurses have warned me that radiation does cause fatigue, not to take it lightly. The Radiation Dr. said the same, though he said radiation side effects come on more slowly than chemo side effects. I know in my case fatigue causes higher emotional state (only the unpleasant emotions, for some reason...would that the positive ones would be increased instead).

It will be interesting to compare notes as we both progress through this.

Hope this helps a little, seof

I hear you on the emotions thing. Man, sometimes I think I would swap some good old fashioned pain for the tears. Today at work, my co teacher and I were commenting on this one student and admitting that his surly attitude and selfishness left us both not liking him. And so I started to cry, copiously. Just to think that someone would not be liked. Noble, maybe, but also a little on the cuckoo side (my poor coteacher has seen so many tears from me). I'd love to compare notes through out this..and if we laugh at some of our silly emotions, maybe we will increase some positive ones! love, Joyce
  • mgm42 said:

Joyce, I can't comment on the tiredness so soon. But I can tell you that I met with dermatologist today who heads up the only department in the world that exclusively treats dermatology problems for cancer patients who had chemo or are going through radiation. I will pass along any information I get to you. Maybe it will help. Hugs, Marilynn

Wow, Marilyn. How kind of you to respond today. I know you just got your last chemo (let's give Marily a hug ladies!) in a difficult series and you still took the time to write me. Thanks and feel this.........................those dots were all postive thoughts coming your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(there goes some more)love, Joyce
  • bev49 said:

Hi Joyce, I had 33 rads, 1 every day, and found fatigue a big part of the side affects. It was explained to me that this too is making our bodies replace the cells that are affected by the rads, so our body is working overtime to rebuild them, so we get tired. The more treatments we have, the harder our body works, and we just get more tired as time goes by. Make sure to talk to your technicion about what kind of cream to use on the burn, and how to take care of it properly. I had whole breast treatment, so I am not able to help you with the difference in receiving it in four sites, but you should be able to ask questions while they are getting you ready, and they should be able to give the answers. The cancer center where I got my rads had a massage therapist on hand, and once a week when I was done with my rads, I got a full body massage. I couldn't believe how tense I was about the entire situation, and she was able to work out the knots in my muscles, which did help me relax some. I find a lot of people who never had rads think it is just a breeze, and I don't really talk about it to many people because of that attitude. But here, as sisters, we can be honest with each other, and let you know what to expect. It is another agressive attack on our bodies, and we should treat it with respect. You will do fine, but please don't make the mistake of thinking this is something I should take in stride, and not feel the affects. Let us know how your doing, and also let us know what they say about having it done on 4 sites, then we can have a better understanding too. Take care, time will pass quickly, and soon you will be done.
    Blessings,
    bev49

Thanks for an excellent explanation and the time it took to write all that! My rad. doc. did say my doseage was dispersed and also that since no organs are affected, the tiredness should not be so bad (another opinion from someone who has never had radiation). But, maybe I can't really blame the doctors because I do lead them on. For some unknown reason, all the positive attitude I am supposed to be having round the clock surfaces mostly when my doctors ask me "how are you doing" and I say "great". Inwardly I wonder why I am lying. I think it is good manners, don't you? Like when someone says, "how did you like the fuzzy purple and green hat I crocheted for you?" and the answer is...love, it, wear it every day! (hmmm) Thanks for your support. Those massages sure sound good. love, Joyce
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Options
    Hi Joyce
    I had 5 sites and one repeat so essentially six sites for 6weeks and then the boost for 1 week. From the people that I've spoken with I do think there is relationship between the degree of fatigue and amount of RT. I was exhausted at the end. But I had 5 months of chemo,then a bilateral mastectomy with axillary dissection. Even considering that towards the with that the exhaustion seemed to be more than what I'd been told. It turned out that some of that was from a thyroid problem, but I had a woman tell that it was "nothing" for her. That was great for her, but she only had one or two fields, so don't be surprised if you're more exhausted (not sleepy) than you expect. Hope that helps prepare you - best of luck.
    S
    PS - I asked my Rad Tech how many sites most people have as I was counting mine and he said 1 or 2. Don't know if that's true but that was his estimate.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Hi Sweetie!

The radiation gave me the ever-coveted nipple and underarm tan, and who wouldn't want that??? LOL And I was so thankful to find that cancer doesn't grow on weekends, or Holidays~ who knew???
    I scheduled mine for the earliest time of the day ( I think they opened at 9 AM) so that I could get it over with early in the day~ just in case I had any energy left!

My advice has not so much to do with the fatigue, but with skin care. Of course, when showering do NOT rub or otherwise irritate the affected area. Get yourself a water-loving natural sponge, and some liquid Aveeno or Ivory body wash. Nothing with dyes or perfume which can irritate your radiated skin. Get the sponge soaking wet and make lather, and gently squeeze it over your radiated "parts".
    My cancer center gave out tubes of Aquafor ointment..I highly recommend it. And if you get itchy, tell your doctor! OTC coritsone won't work, but prescription strength will.

Listen to your body and take care of your self~ and know, "this too shall pass".

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Options
    chenheart said:

Hi Sweetie!

The radiation gave me the ever-coveted nipple and underarm tan, and who wouldn't want that??? LOL And I was so thankful to find that cancer doesn't grow on weekends, or Holidays~ who knew???
    I scheduled mine for the earliest time of the day ( I think they opened at 9 AM) so that I could get it over with early in the day~ just in case I had any energy left!

My advice has not so much to do with the fatigue, but with skin care. Of course, when showering do NOT rub or otherwise irritate the affected area. Get yourself a water-loving natural sponge, and some liquid Aveeno or Ivory body wash. Nothing with dyes or perfume which can irritate your radiated skin. Get the sponge soaking wet and make lather, and gently squeeze it over your radiated "parts".
    My cancer center gave out tubes of Aquafor ointment..I highly recommend it. And if you get itchy, tell your doctor! OTC coritsone won't work, but prescription strength will.

Listen to your body and take care of your self~ and know, "this too shall pass".

Hugs,
    Claudia

Chen -- you are hysterical! Thank you -- I just cracked up regarding the nipple tan. All those years of being too shy to go to a nude beach and WELL-LA -- who knew it could be so easy!

Joyce, I just remembered a conversation I had with my radiologist; AKA the Man with No Clue. It went something like this:

Rad Dr: Blah, blah, blah, burn, fatigue. Burn, Fatigue. Blah, blah, blah, BUT . . . women find that one of the "perks" [insert smirk] of radiation is that the radiated breast often times stays perkier than the unradiated breast.

Me: Hmm. So, uh . . . like . . . what happens to the other one?

Rad: Uh. Nothing.

Me: So, it just kinda hangs there? While the other one is being all perky?

Rad: Well, eh-hem . . . yes.

Me: So, I'll have . . one perky breast?

Rad [irratated and impatient]: well, yes.

Me: What's so great about having one perky one and one floppy one?

We went on like this for a few minutes. You get the picture. They just don't get it.