bowel obstruction

Options
levensweg
levensweg Member Posts: 55
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was hoping to have a little insight on bowel obstructions as a result of surgery or scar tissue. In me, the surgeon reconnected my small intestine to my newly shortened large intestine.

I mention this because I think this is the source of a partial bowel obstruction. Here are my symptoms: heartburn, gas, diarrea, noisy stomach, abdominal pain. This has happened about four or five times in three years and seems to go away after four or five days. I'm going through one right now and I don't like it. My doctor gives me heartburn meds and sais to call her immediately if I throw up. Otherwise I seem to be on my own.

Anyone have similar problems and if so, some helpful solutions or advice for me? I hate this, even though I'll take it over the cancer any day. I would reall appreciate and thoughts anyone has on this.

Thanks,
Reuben

P.S. Been a while since I been here. It's nice to see some familiar names.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'seasoned' sufferer (1 total, 7 partials to date). It sounds like all the symptoms. And the reason she has you call if you throw up is that it could be going to full obstruction, which can lead to bowel death, etc...nasty stuff.

When I feel one coming on, I ramp up my fluids, and increase my walking (this is what I did in the hospital when I had my full obstruction). Also, at a point where the pain wave is starting, I bear down, like with a BM (not long enough to produce one, tho...sort of like the description of labor bear down). I fix mine within a few hours doing these things.

Good luck!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KFalvey
    KFalvey Member Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Rueben,

I'm sorry you are having this problem, and understand your distress. I've had many partial obstructions, two of them I was hospitalized for because the pain was so bad they knocked me out until the pain went away on it's own usually taking 12 to 24 hours. They always told me not to take anything by mouth including fluids as soon as the pain starts because this increases the pressure and problem. They hook me up to IV fluids to keep from dehydrating. I usually do get nauseaus after having excruciating pain for 4 hours. Most of mine have resolved themselves without any treatment, just alot of pain. Only once I had to have surgery for a blockage caused by adhesions and a Meckels diverticulum 5 days after another surgery. KathyM. recommends walking and lots of water. I have done the walking but haven't tried the water (afraid to add to the problem). I hope for both our sakes that someone has a better solution. Good Luck.
    Kandy
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    I have not had a bowel obstruction since my surgery and reconnection sugery, so the advice I am giving may or may not be good, but about eating fiber?

Fiber One Cereals are reaaly good for me. They clean me out within 4-5 hours.

Fiber One bars
    Kashi bars
    Apples

Just a thought
  • davidsonxx
    davidsonxx Member Posts: 134
    Options
    I have had several obstructions since my surgery 16 months ago. As long as you don't have a full obstruction drinking fluids can help get things moving a little easier. Walking also helps those muscles push things along. A couple of other things I got from my surgeon to help prevent partial obstructions with my ileostomy were to thoroughly chew my food, sit in a warm bath and gently massage the area of pain when I feel one starting. Unfortunately my obstructions were a result of the intestine twisting around itself so not much helped except time and pain meds. Fortunately for me it has untwisted in less than 24 hours so no surgery so far. Vomiting is an indication you may have a full obstruction. Full obstructions have to be monitored because they can cause really nasty problems in a relatively short time.
  • levensweg
    levensweg Member Posts: 55
    Options

I have had several obstructions since my surgery 16 months ago. As long as you don't have a full obstruction drinking fluids can help get things moving a little easier. Walking also helps those muscles push things along. A couple of other things I got from my surgeon to help prevent partial obstructions with my ileostomy were to thoroughly chew my food, sit in a warm bath and gently massage the area of pain when I feel one starting. Unfortunately my obstructions were a result of the intestine twisting around itself so not much helped except time and pain meds. Fortunately for me it has untwisted in less than 24 hours so no surgery so far. Vomiting is an indication you may have a full obstruction. Full obstructions have to be monitored because they can cause really nasty problems in a relatively short time.

Thanks you guys, this is really useful information. I'm going to try all of it. I have heard the chewing advice and have been lax about it lately. Right now it's oatmeal bananas etc.

I'm calling my Gastro doc tomorrow, it's been a four day belly ache.

-Reuben
  • renee2u
    renee2u Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi Reuben... I had bowel looping... which was causing obstructions... really messed me up during radiation and chemo... I ended up in the hospital on TPN patially because of the looping and partially because of a yeast infection in my mouth/throat area! I was one sick puppy!

I don't have any real advice for ya... just co-miserating! Sorry!

Renee
    http://www.mycrcconnections.com/