Low when I should be high

Options
Starleen
Starleen Member Posts: 40 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am so depressed! I've gone through treatment for Stage III and am NED. Great, right? Why am I so sad? Everything is getting back to normal, but I can't fight back this overwhelming sadness. I seem to be floundering at everything that I used to kick **** at, even during treatment.

Comments

• shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am sorry I don't know how long you've been going through all of this (cancer related) stuff. It takes a long time though. It's like we lost our carefree existance. It is not ever the same I don't think because you have really suffered a loss. For me I feel like I somehow lost my 30's. I'm like, where did they go? Also, stuff seems to "get to me" more than before. I have a hard time with all the B.S. that people throw my way, particularly when it comes to work related stuff. I am working on it though and I'm trying to let it go. It isn't important - my health and my family are. Nothing else really is all that important and I shouldn't let it "get to me".
    I feel depressed quite a lot too, but it sounds like you might need to see someone about it. Try to find a counselor who deals with cancer survivors. I know it's hard if you live in a rural area, but even if you only go once a month or something it might really help. Summer should help too! Hang in there and know you aren't alone, we all feel like that at times.
    -Susan H.
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hey Starleen, you could be me. I finished treatment for stage 3A in late August 2007 and could barely get myself up for the day. My oncologist told me that this is very common and suggested I talk to my Therapist about it - Mass. General recommended therapy all along. They also, if needed, often prescribe antidepressents for cancer patients. I started taking Zoloft - 75 mg (low dose) per day - I can't tell you how much difference it has made. I think it is natural to surpress your feelings while you are going through treatment, but when you are done, boom - you aren't a patient, you aren't really a survivor yet, and your routine for probably the last year has changed forever. Hello, this is hard to deal with, I would urge you to talk to your oncologist about this if they understand this sort of thing (I live in Boston, home of way too may doctors) and if not, find a good therapist and/or pschopharmacologist. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal, but you can make it much easier on yourself. As I find myself getting closer to my 6 mos. scan, I can feel the tension mounting. And even with the help I have gotten it is a bit of an up and down situation. You are definitely not alone.
    Pam
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hey Starleen, you could be me. I finished treatment for stage 3A in late August 2007 and could barely get myself up for the day. My oncologist told me that this is very common and suggested I talk to my Therapist about it - Mass. General recommended therapy all along. They also, if needed, often prescribe antidepressents for cancer patients. I started taking Zoloft - 75 mg (low dose) per day - I can't tell you how much difference it has made. I think it is natural to surpress your feelings while you are going through treatment, but when you are done, boom - you aren't a patient, you aren't really a survivor yet, and your routine for probably the last year has changed forever. Hello, this is hard to deal with, I would urge you to talk to your oncologist about this if they understand this sort of thing (I live in Boston, home of way too may doctors) and if not, find a good therapist and/or pschopharmacologist. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal, but you can make it much easier on yourself. As I find myself getting closer to my 6 mos. scan, I can feel the tension mounting. And even with the help I have gotten it is a bit of an up and down situation. You are definitely not alone.
    Pam
  • renee2u
    renee2u Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Starleen... You know.. I have never been a "low" person. I am almost always up! I have always been the strong one.. the one that keeps on going and going... takes a licking and keeps on ticking... the energizer bunny!!!

This cancer has made me more stubborn but has also made me feel violated... like someone came into MY house and robbed me... or raped me... (something like that)....

I hope you understand what I am talking about!!

http://www.mycrcconnections.com/
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi Starleen. Think it's normal as others have said. Also think that it's because the shock part is over, the "proactive" part is over and now its time to return to some sense of normalcy, and then we think that nothing is "normal" again and things will never be the "way they were". Maybe then after we accept this, we can move on with our "new" lives. Hope this makes sense. God Bless
    Diane