Pet Scans vs. Cat Scans

Options
marzz26
marzz26 Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,
I haven't been here in a while. I just finished my 6th cycle out of 8 with Xeloda. My onc got the dosage adjusted so the hand-foot syndrome has been "manageable".

In October, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 colon cancer; I had the surgery and it was believed that the whole tumor was removed. It was debatable whether I should even undergo the chemo treatment. However, because of my age (47 at the time) and physical health (good... except for the heart attack I had while in the hospital for the colon surgery... by the way, I've recovered excellently from the heart attack after having a stent put in), I decided to increase my chances of the cancer not metastasizing or coming back, by going through with the chemo.

Now I am approaching the end of my treatments and have a question (I'm sure more will come up). It seems from what I have read on this bulletin board that most people receive a pet scan after their treatments end. When I asked my onc about this, he replied that he would be giving me a cat scan and not a pet scan. He told me that he would only give me a pet scan if the cat scan showed something.

Should I insist on a pet scan? I read in the news today that Sen. Arlen Spector would not have caught the return of his tumor without a pet scan. Now my family is pushing me to insist on a pet scan and not a cat scan.

What do you think? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Comments

• Sunriver
    Sunriver Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi Marc,

I was diagnosed with stage 2 cc in August 2006. I had surgery and four rounds of folfox. Since then I have been NED and have had CT scans every three months but no PET scans. I think this is the standard of care and I don't plan to ask for a pet scan. I hope that helps...Mark
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I was dx'ed 12/04. CT scans followed by PET scan during the diagnosis/treatment planning. One more PET scan before surgery to see how treatment was working. After surgery: just CT scans yearly, colonoscopy, blood levels at 6 months. My onc agrees with yours...unless there is something, CT scans are used. PET scans are not only harder to get insurance approval for, but also, considering all the radiation I already had in 19 months (2 cancers, 2 treatment rounds with rads and chemo), she is very conservative about exposing me to any more than is necessary.

Hope this helps..

Hugs, Kathi
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    In 7/06 I had emergency surgery for a total obstruction and was then DX wuth Stage II colon cancer (NO/MO). Tumor was removed.

My Onc. Doc had me take the FLOFOX Chemo Regime so I was surprised to read you were taking Xeloda only.

In regards to Pet vs CT Scans, my Onc Doc has me doing CT Scans every 5-6 months now instead of every 3 months. I really never asked the question between the two, but by reading posts, PET Scans will "light" up live tissue and CT Scans will only show a tumor as small as 1CM (I think).
  • funnyguy
    funnyguy Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Interesting question...
    I was DX with Stage II in Oct 06 and had a Pet Scan as part of dx/treatment planning. Along will multiple CT along the way.
    Now after finishing pre surgery radiation/Xeloda treatment; surgery than followed by 8 rounds of Xeloda I've just had another follow up CT/Pet Scan combination.

Yes it's harder to get the insurance company to approve, but I think it provides piece of mind.

the plan is to follow up with a CT scan every 3-6 months for the next 2 years and than diminish after that. CT and PET look for very different types of activity; each with their own limitations and benefits.

My latest pet scan 'lit' up an area around my original surgery indicating active cells. so I will now have a follow up biopsy to identify the cause --- which is likely due to radiation scarring/treatment. But better to be sure than sorry.

So, it's really up to what you are comfortable with
  • Mickeyw
    Mickeyw Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Stage 2 N0 M0 surgery December 2006. 6 months of FOLFOX chemo from January thru July of 2007. Permanent numbness in finger tips and bottoms of feet, but better than pushing up daisies. I had one PET scan before starting chemo. That was the standard procedure of my oncon. It found a benign tumor in my right salivary gland which was removed. After it was biopsied it got infected. He, like may others said he only does follow up PET scans if something such as elevated CEA or CAT scans shows the need. I am clear now and will do a CAT each 6 months for two years, and Oncon visit and blood work each three months. I also went through the chemo as a preventative measure.
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi Marc,
    One way to explain it is this: Do you know what GIS is? It is like a way to layer data, maps for example, one on top of another? A CT scan is like the first "layer". If something suspicious shows up on a CT then they do a PET, which is an overlay on top of the original CT. Sometimes these are done at the same time, but basically the PET goes on top of the CT and if the suspicious areas light up, then presumably you have a malignancy. They also measure how much radioactive glucose is taken up by said "spot". So, a PET is not necessary unless something shows up on the CT. PET also only "lights up" nodules that are around 1cm in size where a CT will detect nodules 1/2 that size, or even smaller, so sometimes you get false negatives on a PET. Besides, they inject you with radioactive glucose, that cannot be all that great for you unless it's necessary.
    Take care,
    Susan H.
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My oncologist is of the CT Scan every six months - for 7 years, blood work every 3months - for 7 years and a PET scan only if the CT or someother test shows a need for it. I was 3A - They did a CT Scan and MRI prior to developing surgery/treatment plan. So far so good.
    Pam
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Usually an insurance company will not approve a PET scan unless a CT or MRI shows something. In hubby's case, he has had ct's(too numerous to count anymore, mri's several and PET's 2 because spots still seen on ct's even after liver surgery,(stage IV) which then the PET showed to be scar tissue from liver surgery or benign (thankfully so far) I encourage you to do an internet search on PET vs CT . You will find a lot of information. Your ONC is following standard course of treatment. Good luck and God Bless and my husband was also on the Xeloda (I believe it helped save his life along with oxal and avastin and he is currently NED!) so keep the faith! God Bless
    Diane