Found out about the pain

Options
tootsie1
tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I've mentioned several times that I've had pain since my surgery in Nov. (Stage I colon cancer). Well, on Sunday I found out why. I woke up with severe pain that actually made me scream, so we were off to the emergency room, where my doctor met us. A rectal exam showed some blood, so I was admitted for more tests. Had a cat scan, bloodwork, 3, count'em 3 enemas, Go Lytely, and stomach x-rays. Turns out that, even though I have been going to the bathroom, I am extremely backed up. So, I have to take Miralax every day, and the gastroenterologist wants to have me do another colonoscopy in the fairly near future, instead of waiting for the one-year mark. I'm glad they found no cancer at this time, but I'm also very glad to find out that I'm not a crazy hypochondriac. Advice to any who are having lots of pain. Find out why, sooner rather than later. I just got out of the hospital this morning, so I'm taking my sore hiney to bed now for a nap. *winks*

Gail

Comments

• Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Glad you found out what was causing the pain and I hope that it's gone. Have any of your doctors told you how many grams of fiber a day you should eat? I was also stage 1. After my resection in March 06, my doctors told me that I should eat 25- 30 grams of fiber a day. That amount of fiber is a whole lot more than I was eating before I was diagnosed with colon cancer and it keeps things moving right along.
    Joy
  • TY2HC
    TY2HC Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I to have had pain like your for about 2 months now. My pain started after a colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with stage 1 colon cancer about 5 years ago. They found a couple of more polyps during my colonoscopy. After my cat scan and many x-rays they said my colon was a little swollen. Last week I saw a nutritionist, she gave me a lot of information on foods that are good for preventing cancer, as well as, supplements.
    I have the information all typed up to put on my website, but I can send it to you if you would like. It is a pretty lengthy document so I don't want to post it. Let me know if you would like it.

Sincerely,
    Chris
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm so glad it was only blockage! I know how painful that can be, but thank God it wasn't more CANCER!!! Your pain must have been quite different from mine. Mine was mostly at the incision site.

Don't you just love those rectal exams?? I totally laugh when people hoo and haw about getting one once a year, or once every two years...Try once, or twice a week!

That's rough getting three rectals in a day, though! That happened to me once at the ER. I saw about three different doctors within a 24 hour period, and each one had to give me a rectal. Do they think they're going to find something the other two docs before them didn't??

Some of my oncologists have complained about ER doctors, but i guess i shouldn't since my cousin is marrying one next month!

Let us know if the stuff they gave you for the blockage works.

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Glad you found the cause of the pain. Also glad it was not cancer.

One question? After three enemas and Go Lytely, could they not have just done the colonoscopy then. I think they love giving out that stuff. WOnder if they have ever actually had to drink the stuff.

Really glad that you are ok.
  • tootsie1
    Options

Glad you found the cause of the pain. Also glad it was not cancer.

One question? After three enemas and Go Lytely, could they not have just done the colonoscopy then. I think they love giving out that stuff. WOnder if they have ever actually had to drink the stuff.

Really glad that you are ok.

The enemas were done on a differnt day from the Go Lytely. I think the gastro wasn't available for the procedure today, which would have been the day after drinking the dreaded liquid.
  • tootsie1
    Options

Wow! I'm so glad it was only blockage! I know how painful that can be, but thank God it wasn't more CANCER!!! Your pain must have been quite different from mine. Mine was mostly at the incision site.

Don't you just love those rectal exams?? I totally laugh when people hoo and haw about getting one once a year, or once every two years...Try once, or twice a week!

That's rough getting three rectals in a day, though! That happened to me once at the ER. I saw about three different doctors within a 24 hour period, and each one had to give me a rectal. Do they think they're going to find something the other two docs before them didn't??

Some of my oncologists have complained about ER doctors, but i guess i shouldn't since my cousin is marrying one next month!

Let us know if the stuff they gave you for the blockage works.

Many hugs,
    Krista

No, no. I didn't have 3 rectal exams in a day. I had 3 enemas, because they were trying to clean me out. No fun at all.
  • tootsie1
    Options
    Joy1216 said:

Glad you found out what was causing the pain and I hope that it's gone. Have any of your doctors told you how many grams of fiber a day you should eat? I was also stage 1. After my resection in March 06, my doctors told me that I should eat 25- 30 grams of fiber a day. That amount of fiber is a whole lot more than I was eating before I was diagnosed with colon cancer and it keeps things moving right along.
    Joy

The doctors have not given me a specific amount. My problem is that I have also have IBS and have had been fighting constipation for years.
  • tootsie1
    Options
    TY2HC said:

I to have had pain like your for about 2 months now. My pain started after a colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with stage 1 colon cancer about 5 years ago. They found a couple of more polyps during my colonoscopy. After my cat scan and many x-rays they said my colon was a little swollen. Last week I saw a nutritionist, she gave me a lot of information on foods that are good for preventing cancer, as well as, supplements.
    I have the information all typed up to put on my website, but I can send it to you if you would like. It is a pretty lengthy document so I don't want to post it. Let me know if you would like it.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Chris, I would love to have that info. Thanks!

Gail
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Good advice Gail . Hope you are feeling much better! Keep the faith and God Bless.
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

No, no. I didn't have 3 rectal exams in a day. I had 3 enemas, because they were trying to clean me out. No fun at all.

Oh, sorry toots! My bad!

As horrible as rectal exams are...enemas are so much worse!!

I agree with curlock...i think they (sadistic docs) very much enjoy giving out the golytly. My Mother had her colonoscopy two or three weeks after mine, and i thoroughly warned her to get diapers, and to make a trail of towels from wherever it was she planned on sitting, to the bathroom, because she probably wouldn't make it in time, and the diaper probably wouldn't work that well. It turned out that SHE got the laxative pills and the stuff that tasted like gatorade. She didn't have a single problem! I was very happy for her, but a little p.o.'ed at my doc!

Many hugs!
    Krista