Itchy palms and feet??? Dry eyes

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've been on taxotere and cytoxan. I have one more chemo left. However, after the last round, I developed some new side effects. Most aggravating is the dryness of the skin on my hands and feet. And, they itch like crazy. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, was there anything other benedryl that helped? I've also developed "dry eye." I was told by my PA to use lubricant drops every hour. It helps a little, but is there anything else that might help? If you've experienced either of these - how long did it last? Thanks a bunch. Hugs, Marilynn

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    I never had chemo but I did develop dry spots on my corneas from the Aromasin. I've been taking Reststis which is a prescription eye drop. I was taking it twice a day but since stopping the Aromasin, I'm down to once a day with no more dry spots on my corneas. Check with your MD to see if this will help you. HUGS!! Cathy
  • I had both drugs but never experienced either of these symptoms. The Restasis sounds like an idea worth trying. Baby oil may help with the dry skin on your hands and feet but not sure about itching. On the bright side you only have one more treatment and then hopefully the side effects will go away. Good luck, Eileen
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Options
    I use(d) pure shea butter for the dry skin and itchiness. I still have dry eye from Arimidex...don't take anything for it..gues I'm tired of going to doctors.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I had both of those drugs, but not the same side effects. I had slight dry skin, but regular OTC lotion twice a day was enough. My eyes got red more often, but visine took care of it. you might ask about aloe based lotion, or Calamine lotion for itch. I sometimes use petroleum jelly with socks on when I sleep for my dry feet (has nothing to do with chemo...I have done it for years). It is messy, but it might help too...ask your Dr.

Hope it goes away soon. seof
  • Hi Marilynn,
    No, I didn't have these symptoms, though the calluses on my feet seemed deeper. Anyway, what I am about to write may seem crazy, the ramblings of someone who has been through too much chemo. I have been using this lotion someone gave me for radiation that has additives in it so I can't use it for that purpose. Anyway, I swear, just like in the infomercials, that this lotion has rejeuvenated my skin. It is GoldBond Aloe Ultimate Healing with Vitamins A, C, and E. I love it! I think it really does make my skin look younger. You might try it on the soles of your feet. It goes on nice and stays in place like a coating. You can feel the slickness when you shower, 24 hours later. But, DO NOT use if for radiated areas. By the way, I might have experienced dry eye, but I cry so much now days I wouldn't have had the chance to notice! Not really tears of pain, just tears of meaningfulness. I hope you find some relief, TEMPORARY relief, just like the dang chemo! love, Joyce
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi Marilynn,
    No, I didn't have these symptoms, though the calluses on my feet seemed deeper. Anyway, what I am about to write may seem crazy, the ramblings of someone who has been through too much chemo. I have been using this lotion someone gave me for radiation that has additives in it so I can't use it for that purpose. Anyway, I swear, just like in the infomercials, that this lotion has rejeuvenated my skin. It is GoldBond Aloe Ultimate Healing with Vitamins A, C, and E. I love it! I think it really does make my skin look younger. You might try it on the soles of your feet. It goes on nice and stays in place like a coating. You can feel the slickness when you shower, 24 hours later. But, DO NOT use if for radiated areas. By the way, I might have experienced dry eye, but I cry so much now days I wouldn't have had the chance to notice! Not really tears of pain, just tears of meaningfulness. I hope you find some relief, TEMPORARY relief, just like the dang chemo! love, Joyce

Thanks to all of you "sisters" who responded. And thanks for the tip about Restasis and the Gold Bond lotion. I've seen the commercials for dry eye and will talk my med.onc. about it Friday. I'll try the Gold bond, but right now I'm also using so much lotion that if you stuck an apple in my mouth, I'd be ready for roasting. I keep telling myself that this, too, shall pass - just like my final round of chemo this Friday. I love you all for your help. Marilynn