Question

Options
TY2HC
TY2HC Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello,
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago when I was 27. I was stage 1 and just had a resection done. A couple of months back I had another Colonoscopy done and they found a couple more polyps one of them had dysplasia. The explanation I got was that dysplasia meant precancerous cells. Since my colonoscopy I have had pain in my left upper abdomin. They say that my colon is a little swollen where the polyp was that had the abnormal cells in it. I have been taking a stool softener for about 2 months now and they have me taking vitamin B-100 complex, and a probiotic (Floragen 3).

My question is it normal to have no chemotherapy done when they find these things? Not that I am advocating to have it, I am just wondering if it is common. The results of the biopsy combined with the pain I have been having makes me wonder.

Thanks

Comments

• 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Hi,

According to my oncologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, they do not do any chemo for Stage I or II. Surgery can be curative alone.

Chemo opens you up to secondary cancers and more health problems down the road such as heart and/or kidney damage (irreversible) for example. So count yourself fortunate that you do not have to do any chemo. I opted not to for my Stage III colon cancer and I never for a moment have regretted it. I am 6 yrs 8 months cancer free and I do not fear any of these things.

Good luck.

peace, emily
  • TY2HC
    Options
    2bhealed said:

Hi,

According to my oncologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, they do not do any chemo for Stage I or II. Surgery can be curative alone.

Chemo opens you up to secondary cancers and more health problems down the road such as heart and/or kidney damage (irreversible) for example. So count yourself fortunate that you do not have to do any chemo. I opted not to for my Stage III colon cancer and I never for a moment have regretted it. I am 6 yrs 8 months cancer free and I do not fear any of these things.

Good luck.

peace, emily

Thanks for the information. I am not looking to have chemo, just curious as to when it is necessary. Thanks again.
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    In addition to what Emily said, your polyp was "pre-cancerous" which is the whole point of having colonoscopies. You were not even Stage I this time around, so just keep going to those scheduled tests! You should go back in a year since you had polyps this time.
    Best of luck and congrats on catching your cancer at such an early stage!
    -Susan H.
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of someone having chemo for pre-cancerous cells. However, since you do seem really concerned about the pain in your abdomen, and considering your history, I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for a c-scan (just to be sure), in fact I think it would be very prudent. Monica
  • TY2HC
    Options
    I appreciate the responses. I should probably clarify, I am not looking to have chemotherapy. I to thought it was unusual, until my brother had some GI procedures done recently. As you know one of the questions is family history of Cancer. When he told the GI doctors about my situation, they asked if I was going through chemo. In fact, they thought it was unusual that I wasn't. That is my main reason for asking. Thanks again.
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    They don't do chemo for dysplasia but just remove the area affected. However, 2 months after that you should not still be having pain from it. I would recommend going back and getting a reevaluation at this time. Any swelling from that procedure should be long gone. They may need to do a CT scan to find out why you are still having pain.