CBS News Story

Options
impactzone
impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Nice to know that others are working as we all fight on. The surgeon mentioned in this article from MD Anderson is highly respected so it lends support to this story.
"CBS) John Kanzius hopes he can add a few more years to the six he has already cheated death out of since he was diagnosed with terminal leukemia. He wants to see the promising machine he invented that kills cancer cells go into clinical trials and maybe help other people beat a disease he probably won’t.

Kanzius tells his story to 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl this Sunday, April 12, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Interest from cancer institutions in his radio-wave machine that has killed cancer cells in the tumors of rabbits and rats is picking up, enough so to motivate Kanzius to reconsider getting more life-extending, but difficult, treatments for his own cancer. "Well, I changed my mind because I think with all the research that’s going on with the institutions, that maybe I’d like to be around for the first patient to get treated and just have a smile," Kanzius tells Stahl.

It might mean undergoing the arduous process of a bone marrow transplant, yet another difficult treatment like the debilitating chemotherapy he has endured for six years. It was the difficulty of the treatment, not on him, but on children, that moved Kanzius to try to invent a cancer treatment without side effects like those of chemo and radiation therapy. "I saw the smiles of youth and saw their spirits were broken….You could see that they were sort of asking 'Why can’t they do something for me?'" recalls Kanzius, of the children he encountered while in treatment.

So one night, the retired radio technician and station owner had an idea to harness radio waves as he rolled and tossed in bed, unable to sleep from chemotherapy’s side effects. "Started looking in the cupboard and I saw pie pans and I said, 'These are perfect. I can modify these.'" But building his first radio-wave machine in his garage was just the beginning.

He would need to focus the machine's waves on cancer in the human body and build a stronger machine to use for the next step: getting the waves, which do not harm humans, to destroy cancer cells. He knew strong radio waves heat metal. Would metal injected into a cancerous tumor heat up and then cook the cells to death when bombarded with radio waves?

He went back to his own kitchen again for the next step, taking a hot dog and injecting the top of it with copper sulfate, a metal. He put it in his machine and measured the temperature. "And when I saw it start to go up I said, 'Eureka, I’ve done it!'" says Kanzius. But the whole idea was to heat up small areas of the body and not harm surrounding tissue. He had to measure the other end of the hotdog to make sure it was cold. "And the temperature dropped back down and I said, 'God, maybe I got something here.'"

Currently researchers are perfecting the treatment with tiny metallic nanoparticles, so small that thousands of them could fit inside a single cell. The nanoparticles are also being altered so they migrate through the bloodstream to find and penetrate cancer cells that may be throughout the body and not just concentrated in local tumors - the real litmus test of Kanzius’ treatment.

That this will eventually cure cancer is still a big if, as there have been many treatments that worked on animals but failed on human patients. Still, says liver cancer surgeon and researcher Dr. Steven Curley, "I’ve got to tell you, in 20 years of research this is the most exciting thing that I’ve encountered." It will be at least four years before any human clinical trials will begin for the treatment.

It will be even longer, if ever, that leukemia like Kanzius' will be effectively treated with his machine, but he is just waiting for one patient suffering from any kind of cancer to be helped. "And then I don’t care anymore," he tells Stahl. "

Produced by Tanya Simon
© MMVIII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Chip

Comments

• valley
    valley Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Thanks chip for the information!
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chip
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Dr. Curley is my surgical oncologist at MD Anderson and he operated on my liver back in 2003! He is great, never spewed a negative word to me and actually treats me like a person, not a number! I can't say enough about him.
    He has been working on the nanotubes to go with this device...
    -Susan H. (Stage IV , 3 1/2 years NED!)
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Hi Chip,

Quite interesting. If you are interested check out Royal Rife. He already "discovered" this many many years ago and they ran him out of town as a dangerous "quack" (because IT WORKS) and "they" were afraid of this cancer cure. It's such a shame that those ahead of their time are often treated this way.

Anyway, do a google of Royal Rife or the Rife Machine. It sounds very similar.

I say, more power to these brilliant minds and I share my new favorite quote (don't know the author):

"A mighty oak starts as a nut that holds its ground".

Peace, emily who wants to be an oak! :-)
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    2bhealed said:

Hi Chip,

Quite interesting. If you are interested check out Royal Rife. He already "discovered" this many many years ago and they ran him out of town as a dangerous "quack" (because IT WORKS) and "they" were afraid of this cancer cure. It's such a shame that those ahead of their time are often treated this way.

Anyway, do a google of Royal Rife or the Rife Machine. It sounds very similar.

I say, more power to these brilliant minds and I share my new favorite quote (don't know the author):

"A mighty oak starts as a nut that holds its ground".

Peace, emily who wants to be an oak! :-)

You already are an oak baby!!
    -S.H.
  • 2bhealed
    Options

You already are an oak baby!!
    -S.H.

hey you!

At least you didn't call me the nut!!! HA!

peace, em
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I saw the report and it is fascinating. With all due respect for Emily I think what he is doing, along with Dr. Curley, is much different than Dr. Rife and is very promising. Let's hope that they can get it to the point of clinical trials quicker than 4 years.

• 2bhealed
    Options
    vinny3 said:

I saw the report and it is fascinating. With all due respect for Emily I think what he is doing, along with Dr. Curley, is much different than Dr. Rife and is very promising. Let's hope that they can get it to the point of clinical trials quicker than 4 years.

hi ****!

It sounded similar (radio waves) but I am hardly a scientist. Just wanted to give a heads up that this kind of radio stuff has been proven successful. I probably don't understand the difference. :-) I thought Rife's machine sounded very cool too.

Did you get the blizzard down by you? We did. Argh!

peace, emily