silly ?

Options
LyndsieRae
LyndsieRae Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
are you really, really sick and do you always lose your hair with chemo? i am wanting to get married as soon as possible. but if i do chemo i just dont know what the next few months hold!

Comments

• kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Lyndsie- I did send a personal email last night. When you sign on to the site it'll say you have unread mail. Anyway, I believe they told me Taxol almost always causes hair loss - and although I did not choose to wear a wig, scarves only, there are some amazing wigs out there that look beautiful. I know you have long hair - but they say to get your wig chosen while you have hair to match your color, style, etc. As for being ill - these days with cancer there are so many things the doctors can give you pre-chemo and post that help with the nausea, pain, constipation, etc. Again - it varies person to person. I was in constant touch with my nurses and they were so helpful - also, if you you ask questions here everyone jumps right in and can tell you what worked for them. For example, I had some neuropathy starting and took the B6 vitamins like someone suggested and it helped so much.

I wish there was a web site that was for young women like yourself that you could go to (there probably is - but I don't know what it is), because that might be helpful as well.

Keep posting your questions and try to get some rest. You are 2 weeks post surgery - you need your strength.

Take care. Hugs.

Kris
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Hi again, Lyndsie!
    These questions you have are not silly. We all go through this phase, and it's completely understandable.

As to 'why chemo', the other ladies pretty much said it well. There could be microscopic cells that couldn't be detected, and you want to have the best chance possible against anything left behind.

Well, carbo and taxol were my two treatments (the taxol changed the second session of the second time because of an allergic reaction). Here's a quick summary of my experience:

IV infusions every 21 days (took about 6-8 hours each time - it was done slowly to minimize reactions - I highly recommend that approach).
    The night before - Zofran (for nausea), steroids (to minimize allergic reactions).
    That day - infusion of Benadryl (to minimize allergic reactions), Anzamet or other anti-nausea, and another pre-med.
    Then the carbo, and taxol after.
    Try to drink a lot of water the day before, so that they can have good, plump veins to work with. Bring a snack and/or beverage to have throughout your infusion. Sometimes, the facility you are going to also can provide something. We had recliners, TV's, and a blanket and pillow (you may feel a little chilled at times). Sometimes my mom was with me, sometimes my husband, and sometimes I was alone. So I brought some magazines, or a book, definitely my journal (where I kept track of the time they started, when they started each med, how I felt, etc.).
    Afterward they will tell you to drink a lot of fluids to flush everything through your system.
    Chemo is cummulative, which means you may feel more side affects as time goes on (this will all depend on how much the doctor is give you).
    You are young, healthy, and your experience may be very mild. You may be given anti-nausea meds to take afterward. Also, Senna-S (laxative/softener) because constipation is a side affect. If you are going to lose hair, mine started going around day 21. My recurrance, I chose to have my hair buzzed off before I would start to see it come out. It was much easier to tolerate, and I had everything ready - wigs and wig cap, scarves, hats, etc. There are some really beautiful wigs out there, some very undetectable that they are not your natural hair.
    So, after treatments, it took about 2 months to have enough hair to go without all the 'accessories'. Everyone loved my short hairdo and it was so easy to take care of - wash and go! It grew back fairly fast. It may come back a different shade, curly, straight, etc. Just go with the flow. I'm sure you'll be just fine!

During treatments try to get rest, continue exercise if you can, and of course, eat as healthy as you can. Fluids are extremely important, as is whole grains and veges AND protein to heal and restore muscle and tissue and repair other side affects of chemo. Mouth sores were a huge issue for me. My blood pressure is always low (about 106/65), and chemo can drop it even lower.

All in all, just let us know when you have any specific questions. Just hang in there, Lyndsie. You will get through this. As for your wedding, that's something you and your fiancee' will have to talk about. You may be a little tired, you may or may not have many side affects at all. As my doctor always said, 'quality of life' is important. So be sure to call on him/her if you need meds for something. Remember, it is temporary, and you have quite a few options available to you to get through the rough times.

We'll all be waiting to hear what the doctor says about staging, CA125, etc. Also, you can ask for copies of all of your reports. That is, if you want them. I always received copies. I found them very helpful to have available to me.

Luv & Hugs & Prayers!
    Monika
  • JanQ
    JanQ Member Posts: 236
    Options
    mopar said:

Hi again, Lyndsie!
    These questions you have are not silly. We all go through this phase, and it's completely understandable.

As to 'why chemo', the other ladies pretty much said it well. There could be microscopic cells that couldn't be detected, and you want to have the best chance possible against anything left behind.

Well, carbo and taxol were my two treatments (the taxol changed the second session of the second time because of an allergic reaction). Here's a quick summary of my experience:

IV infusions every 21 days (took about 6-8 hours each time - it was done slowly to minimize reactions - I highly recommend that approach).
    The night before - Zofran (for nausea), steroids (to minimize allergic reactions).
    That day - infusion of Benadryl (to minimize allergic reactions), Anzamet or other anti-nausea, and another pre-med.
    Then the carbo, and taxol after.
    Try to drink a lot of water the day before, so that they can have good, plump veins to work with. Bring a snack and/or beverage to have throughout your infusion. Sometimes, the facility you are going to also can provide something. We had recliners, TV's, and a blanket and pillow (you may feel a little chilled at times). Sometimes my mom was with me, sometimes my husband, and sometimes I was alone. So I brought some magazines, or a book, definitely my journal (where I kept track of the time they started, when they started each med, how I felt, etc.).
    Afterward they will tell you to drink a lot of fluids to flush everything through your system.
    Chemo is cummulative, which means you may feel more side affects as time goes on (this will all depend on how much the doctor is give you).
    You are young, healthy, and your experience may be very mild. You may be given anti-nausea meds to take afterward. Also, Senna-S (laxative/softener) because constipation is a side affect. If you are going to lose hair, mine started going around day 21. My recurrance, I chose to have my hair buzzed off before I would start to see it come out. It was much easier to tolerate, and I had everything ready - wigs and wig cap, scarves, hats, etc. There are some really beautiful wigs out there, some very undetectable that they are not your natural hair.
    So, after treatments, it took about 2 months to have enough hair to go without all the 'accessories'. Everyone loved my short hairdo and it was so easy to take care of - wash and go! It grew back fairly fast. It may come back a different shade, curly, straight, etc. Just go with the flow. I'm sure you'll be just fine!

During treatments try to get rest, continue exercise if you can, and of course, eat as healthy as you can. Fluids are extremely important, as is whole grains and veges AND protein to heal and restore muscle and tissue and repair other side affects of chemo. Mouth sores were a huge issue for me. My blood pressure is always low (about 106/65), and chemo can drop it even lower.

All in all, just let us know when you have any specific questions. Just hang in there, Lyndsie. You will get through this. As for your wedding, that's something you and your fiancee' will have to talk about. You may be a little tired, you may or may not have many side affects at all. As my doctor always said, 'quality of life' is important. So be sure to call on him/her if you need meds for something. Remember, it is temporary, and you have quite a few options available to you to get through the rough times.

We'll all be waiting to hear what the doctor says about staging, CA125, etc. Also, you can ask for copies of all of your reports. That is, if you want them. I always received copies. I found them very helpful to have available to me.

Luv & Hugs & Prayers!
    Monika

Ditto, well said Monika!
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    LyndsieRae,
    Hello,welcome to the board,Iwish we could have met under different curcumstances. I have had the flu all week so I haven't been on the board. I have read all your questions,and have to say all the ladies have given excellent tips.
    I got married the weekend before my first chemo!!! It wasn't the ceremony I had planned on but it was still beautiful. I had been post-surgery about 17 days,and I had an unplanned colostomy bag under the gown. My hair also went about 16 days after the first cycle. I never had bad nausea,the drugs they have for that are amazing. I did have alot of joint and muscle pain. So pain pills helped that. I'm sure you will have your Mom with you,but please make a list,and ask all the questions you want. They are very important. I also asked for my pathology report,which tells you the cell type and grade of the cancer. grade= how aggressive the cancer cells are. Good luck,I'll keep you in prayer..(((hugz)))~~Joanne
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    floridajo said:

LyndsieRae,
    Hello,welcome to the board,Iwish we could have met under different curcumstances. I have had the flu all week so I haven't been on the board. I have read all your questions,and have to say all the ladies have given excellent tips.
    I got married the weekend before my first chemo!!! It wasn't the ceremony I had planned on but it was still beautiful. I had been post-surgery about 17 days,and I had an unplanned colostomy bag under the gown. My hair also went about 16 days after the first cycle. I never had bad nausea,the drugs they have for that are amazing. I did have alot of joint and muscle pain. So pain pills helped that. I'm sure you will have your Mom with you,but please make a list,and ask all the questions you want. They are very important. I also asked for my pathology report,which tells you the cell type and grade of the cancer. grade= how aggressive the cancer cells are. Good luck,I'll keep you in prayer..(((hugz)))~~Joanne

I concur with all of these experience ladies. They got me through the chemo. My oncology nurse that administered my first chemo told me to get L-lysine (over the counter vitamin) to take to help prevent mouth sores. I have taken it everyday and have not had a mouth sore. I take Vit. B-6 and L-glutamin for the neuropathy (numbness in hands and feet) and I have been on chemo 13 months and my numbness and tingling is minimal in left hand and feet. My CA-125 has gone from 2988 to 4's and 5's for the last 6 months of my 13 month experience with OVCA. The chemo had much more effect than the surgery on my CA-125 blood marker for the amount of cancer I had. I took 4 chemos before surgery and 5 after because I am Staqe IV. I am now choosing to take a low dose Taxol to clean up any little nasty cells that may not be detected on the CT scan or physical.
    I have learned to make lists of questions and take them to my doctors visits. If I don't, I forget to ask them. (((hugs))) Saundra
    P.S. On the e-mail I get a notice in my personal in-box telling me that I have e-mail and I click on the link there to sign in and read the e-mail. It is from ACS.