I dont understand....

LyndsieRae
LyndsieRae Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I just had surgery 2 weeks ago for ovarian cancer. And the doctor said he wants to do treatment. But if he said he got all the cancer why would I have to do chemo?!?!

Comments

• kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    1st, these are all questions you should be asking your doctor and if he doesn't give you the answers you are looking for - maybe you need to see someone else. I presume you are going to a gynecologist/oncologist?

I was diagnosed with stage IIIC ovca last summer and they also thought they got everything - but the way they described it to me is that you think of the cancer as little grains of rice and in all of the area's of the abdomen that grains of rice could get stuck/lodged, etc that would be how the cancer is. They can take everything out, rinse the insides, etc and still not get everything. You do treatment because it is your best bet at getting whatever is left over that can't be seen with the naked eye.

On the other hand, it is your body Lyndsie and you have to be the one to decide how you want to attack this vicious disease. I realize you are young, getting married soon, etc - but this is your life we are talking about. And that is precious.

I would suggest you do your research, get your questions ready and then go in and meet with your doctor and make sound decisions based on facts and not purely emotion.

I wish you well and look forward to hearing how you are doing. You've found the right place to find support.

Hugs.

Kris
  • LyndsieRae
    kris43 said:

1st, these are all questions you should be asking your doctor and if he doesn't give you the answers you are looking for - maybe you need to see someone else. I presume you are going to a gynecologist/oncologist?

I was diagnosed with stage IIIC ovca last summer and they also thought they got everything - but the way they described it to me is that you think of the cancer as little grains of rice and in all of the area's of the abdomen that grains of rice could get stuck/lodged, etc that would be how the cancer is. They can take everything out, rinse the insides, etc and still not get everything. You do treatment because it is your best bet at getting whatever is left over that can't be seen with the naked eye.

On the other hand, it is your body Lyndsie and you have to be the one to decide how you want to attack this vicious disease. I realize you are young, getting married soon, etc - but this is your life we are talking about. And that is precious.

I would suggest you do your research, get your questions ready and then go in and meet with your doctor and make sound decisions based on facts and not purely emotion.

I wish you well and look forward to hearing how you are doing. You've found the right place to find support.

Hugs.

Kris

I go to my doctor on Wednesday. So I haven't been able to ask him this question. But my mind can't seem to rest with all of the questions running through my head! I am going to a gyn/onco. Thank you so much for explaining the reason they are wanting to do chemo! I guess I didn't really think about it that way! I know it is my body and I get to decide. I am just afraid I won't make the right choice! I have done so much research, and my parents have as well! I am just still so overwhelmed! It's just so much at one time! I had a total hysterectomy and that has been devastating! And now thinking about chemo! It just feels like too much! But thanks so much for your encouragement! I have really, really needed that! How are you doing now?! Are you in remission?
  • LyndsieRae
    kris43 said:

Hugs.

Kris

will you share your story with me of your ovarian cancer?
  • JanQ
    JanQ Member Posts: 236

will you share your story with me of your ovarian cancer?

My doctor did the same, 6 treatments of carbo/taxol. I was dx Dec03 Stage IIIC.
    If you have questions you should feel free to call your doctor, wright everthing down you can always talk to his nurse and let them get back to you before Wed.
    You've come to a good place to get answers too.
    The ladies here are life savers.
    God Bless
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Dear Lyndsie, The chemo is given just in case there are very small cancer cells left behind. I am sure he said he got all the cancer but it means he got all the cancer they could see.

I know the thought of chemo could be scary but worth it to help ensure any microscopic cancer that could be lurking will be destroyed.

I hope that helps and if it is really bothering you call and leave a message at your clinic for them to call and talk to you.

Hugs N Prayers Bonnie
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    kris43 said:

Hugs.

Kris

Ditto, for me. Saundra