oh no, fever! what should i do??

Options
kristasplace
kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I know it's late, and i'll probably fall asleep before anyone can reply to this, but i need advise! My temperature has been creeping up for the last couple of hours, and now it's over 100 F. They told me to go to the ER if my temperature rose above 105.F, but that sounds like brain damage time to me! My questions are, when SHOULD i start to worry that the fever may be an infection? And is it normal to get fevers like this on FOLFOX?

I will keep my eye as closely on it as possible. I kind of set a limit for myself that i will go to the ER if it reaches 103, but i've had that high of a temp before, and i was in lala land.

Any advise would be very helpful!
Many hugs,
Krista

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I just read this in the morning, so it may be a moot point. My advice would be to call the doctor and see what he/she says. I don't think you should play around with it. Let us know how you're doing. *hugs*

Gail
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I hope that the 105 was a typo! dx in 6/06 and have had Folfox and now Folfiri (sp). Both regimens called for ER if fever was over 101. The doctors really stressed the importance of this. After the initial surgery, I had a fever of 102 and my surgeon threatened to call an ambulance if I didn't get to the ER myself. I went and ended up staying over the weekend. It could have been more serious. I admit to fudging a couple of times and taking an Advil, which you are not supposed to do, and the slight fever went away. I do know that I was taking a gamble...I would advise not gambling and rechecking the temp they told you. That IS brain damage time. My best to you. Linda
  • dn220
    dn220 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My doctor says if temp gets to 100.5 not 105. Please keep us posted on how you are.
    Deb
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    dn220 said:

My doctor says if temp gets to 100.5 not 105. Please keep us posted on how you are.
    Deb

Hi guys! I think you're right, the nurse may have said 100 point 5, and i interpreted it as 100 AND 5! I thought that was awfully high! Well, the temp never went beyond 100.4, and after sleeping most of the day, it's now back to normal. However, i feel exhausted, and generally sick. I think my immune system is still working, but possibly weakening. I see my onc next Thursday, but i'm thinking about calling my onc nurse just to let her know what's going on. The neuropathy seems to be better today than it has been too.

Thank you all for your advise. I will watch my temp, and go to the ER if it goes to 100 POINT 5! lol!

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

Hi guys! I think you're right, the nurse may have said 100 point 5, and i interpreted it as 100 AND 5! I thought that was awfully high! Well, the temp never went beyond 100.4, and after sleeping most of the day, it's now back to normal. However, i feel exhausted, and generally sick. I think my immune system is still working, but possibly weakening. I see my onc next Thursday, but i'm thinking about calling my onc nurse just to let her know what's going on. The neuropathy seems to be better today than it has been too.

Thank you all for your advise. I will watch my temp, and go to the ER if it goes to 100 POINT 5! lol!

Many hugs,
    Krista

Glad to hear that the fever is gone. Our doc said call him at 101. DH had some fevers early in treatment. If fever persists and you are not feeling better, a call to the doc would not hurt. It is hard to know what to expect and what is normal. IT will get better.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Many hugs,
    Krista

I'm glad to know you've improved, but I'm also glad you're going to call the oncologist's office. *hugs*

Gail