Silicone vs Saline

Options
CatheS
CatheS Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Help me decide which is better. I was really ready to go with saline, my PS wants me to have silcone implants - spec: cohesive gel as part of Mentor CPG continued access study. Surgery is 4/14. Any/all advice is welcomed. I miss u all! Cathe

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Cathe,
    I have not done much research comparing the 2. My surgeon seems to think theres' not much difference, but I prefer to go with my own tissue for reconstruction, so I have not looked into silicone or saline. I currently have tissue expanders (like implants...designed to keep the skin stretched till time for reconstruction). They are silicone gel and feel much more firm than my before-mastectomy breasts...no "wiggle and jiggle" at all. Doc says permanent implants are a little more "lifelike", but still firmer than body tissue.

Don't know if that helps, but that's what I know about it. You've come to a good place to get the voice of experience from other, though.

seof.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My silicone prosthesis feels very "normal" in spite of being just a prosthesis. Before I chose it, a nurse let me feel hers. (Yeah, it was weird and she practically had to force me into it, but I'm glad she did since it gave me peace of mind about my decision). See if you can get two implants, one silicone and the other saline, and see if you can tell the difference. Go with the one that feels right for you. The research indicates they are both safe.
  • clabbergirl
    clabbergirl Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Cathe,

I am 31, a four-year BC survivor. I had a unilateral mastectomy, and I chose to go with saline over my PS's wish that I have silicone. I was sort of afraid of silicone, even though he promised me it wasn't dangerous. Four years later, I don't know how happy I am with my saline implant. It's just there. It is very hard -- I don't let my hubby touch it, because it's just kind of uncomfortable. I have often wondered if -- when this one breaks down and I need an update -- I will get silicone, get another saline implant, or just go flat. I think if I had it to do over, and I knew what I know now, I would probably choose silicone. Hope this helps! If you have any questions, email me! Good luck -- it is such a difficult decision.

Best wishes,
    Clabbergirl
  • jackiemanz
    jackiemanz Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Hey CatheS. I had a Bilateral back in March 2007 and have Silcone Implants. I am pretty well comfortable with them. The only thing I wish was that the would have some movement not just sitting there on my chest. I guess you have good and bad things with both Silcone and Saline Implants. Good Luck Jackie.
  • CatheS
    CatheS Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hey CatheS. I had a Bilateral back in March 2007 and have Silcone Implants. I am pretty well comfortable with them. The only thing I wish was that the would have some movement not just sitting there on my chest. I guess you have good and bad things with both Silcone and Saline Implants. Good Luck Jackie.

Thank you all for your candid responses. I am going to go with the Silicone Gel implants as part of a study...
  • beadmom
    beadmom Member Posts: 17
    Options
    I had bi-lateral mastectomy 2004 and chose silicone implants. Plastic surgeon said I was too skinny for DIEP reconstruction. Later had nipples and tatoo for color. Nipples don't stand out much, but add to the effect. Incisions are hard to see and the breasts are firm, not hard and my clothes look good (they make me feel more normal). They are fairly soft, I'm a 34 C & don't need push up bras as they stand up on their own! I trusted my surgeon and I am glad. Good luck to you. I had to wait a couple months for the expanders to go in because I had 2 lumpectomies before we had to take it all to get safe margins and my skin was pretty thin. No infections either. Skin on breasts is thin to remove the cancer and I have no feeling there. Tend to wear extra layer on my chest sometimes to keep skin warm.