Chemo brain???

Options
Monicaemilia
Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I keep telling everyone that I was a very intelligent person prior to chemo, and have become a blithering idiot since chemo. We went out for breakfast last Saturday and I told the waitress that I wanted my son's pancakes crispy. Yes, you read correctly, crispy pancakes. Of course, I meant the bacon, and I realized what I had done when I saw the waitress freeze with her pen in the air and then said to me "really?". The other thing that happens to me a lot is that I actually remember that I forgot something. I know that it happened, I can even tell you when it happened, but the details totally escape me. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it chemo, brain overload? Monica

Comments

• renee2u
    renee2u Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Monica... I have a close friend who went thru breast cancer chemo/radition... came out cancer free... but... she has terrible short term memory problems now. She can remember things that happened 4-5+ years ago and before but what happened yesterday ... she forgets! She is about 1 year out of treatments... and it's not getting better.

I find that I am not as sharp either... I don't have memory problems but I find myself spellchecking myself on words that have never given me a problem before... LOL!
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yes! I didn't figure out that it was chemo brain until it was too obvious to ignore. I can no longer remember peoples names. I NEVER forget someone's name. At parties, people would come up to me if they forgot someone's name. And yes, like Renee, i used to be an excellent speller, that too is ending. I want to cry sometimes because i get stories and events all confused with one another, and it's depressing since i just started the heavy duty chemo!

There is light though at the end of the tunnel. My good friend who is a breast cancer survivor, and teacher, says it will go away. She was unable to remember anything she read or studied while on chemo, but now she can retain information again. It will take time, but we will regain brain function.

Many hugs, and luck with it,
    Krista
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, nothing huge, but I am definitely a candidate for space cadet of the week some days. I think part of it is just the enormity of dealing with cancer and everyday life and some of it was from the drugs (or maybe from being scared half out of your wits from time to time). It seems to be getting better, but I still have many of those days. I went to the store the other day and left my handbag at home.
  • dn220
    dn220 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have horrible memory problems as well. I can't remember what day it is, whether I have taken my meds, I forget names of things and people. It is horrible. I have to write all my appts down immediately or you can give it up. And I start chemo again in a couple weeks. I guess I'll be a blithering idiot by the time I'm done with this round in 6 months, so you are definitely not alone here.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I didn't even have chemo, but I've been having memory problems since my surgery. My doctor said it's probably from the stress of the surgery.

Gail