My brother

Options
LOUSWIFT
LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Three years ago I was DX colon cancer did the radiation/chemo/surgery/chemo and have been NED for a couple of years. Tomorrow my brother is having a colonscopy. He's had his last about three years ago when I was dx. He has pain about 2 inches above the belly button and slightly to the left. For years he has had trouble digesting any lipids (fats) at all (type 2 diabetic) and has frequent bowel movements for years. He's been on vitamin D supplements and they found out its doing no good his body won't absorb them. They did a CT-scan last week and found two lymp nodes were swollen near the pancreas and some gall stones but no apparent tumors. He's lost a couple of pounds but is not jaundice, no blood in stools; insulin levels normal. If the colonscopy finds nothing then the video of the stomach, gall bladder, ducts and pancreas will be coming. I got to admit I don't have a clue what's going on much like the doctors. I find myself worried about cancer and then if it is praying its anywhere but the pancreas. Wierd hoping for the best which is no cancer and then praying for a different type of cancer if it is. Crazy world!

Comments

• nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    I will say a prayer....... AMEN
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I hope your brother's tests find something other than cancer, and that it's something the doctors can do something about. I know it worries you with you already having cancer. Let us know what they find out!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Lou,
    Sending up good vibes for your brother. I have a friend with pancreatitis...no cancer....she manages it...
    Sounds like the doctors are trying hard!

Hugs, Kathi
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I'm praying for your brother.
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It's not weird at all. It is just a sign that you know too much about this dreaded disease. The good news is that the scans haven't conclusively shown anything to panic about. The lymph node enlargement could be for any number of reasons, including infections. We'll pray that whatever it is, it can be diagnosed and easily taken care of. Monica
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi Lou,
    My Mom had symptoms like you describe and we were so afraid of the beast, but turned out to be IBS. They ran every test known to man, and this was the dx. Hope they find out it is NOT the beast, something managable.
    Prayers to you, Robin
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Many best wishes to you and your brother, Lou. I too am worried about my brother for the simple reason that he is a year older than i was when i first developed cancer. We (the rest of my family, and i), are trying everything to get him in to get a colonoscopy done. I think he is scared out of his wits! Who can blame him for that? The two great things about colon cancer is it's a slow growing cancer, and if caught as a polyp, the polyp removal can entirely prevent cc from occurring. Your brother is doing the best thing he can by getting everything checked.

I understand that you would rather him have colon cancer than pancreatic, but remember, any cancer can be cured these days. I will pray for NED though!

Many hugs!
    Krista
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hope you get good news, good vibes coming your way.
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hoping you get good news . Keep the faith. Will be keeping you and your brother in my prayers.
    Diane