husband 3b

Options
JMARIE66
JMARIE66 Member Posts: 55
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband was diagnosed w/colon cancer,had colon resection surgery, and started chemo.He was stage 3B. Our surgeon told us he got all the cancer and we had a pet scan after surgery that was clean. Chemo has not been fun, but we were told if he did 12 treatments there is a 66% chance this WILL NOT return. I keep checking off the treatments-just finished #5. He was only 40 when diagnosed. I seem to think once he is done with Chemo all will be better and things will be back to normal. Am I fooling myself? I read the listings looking for names that have been here for a # of years-are they still fighting, alive, free of the cancer? Or do they move on with life and not need these boards anymore for support? I am looking for survivors out there. I want to know he will be here for the long haul.

Comments

• hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was dx Jan 2007 at 43 yrs old. I know how you feel we are just starting our lives and we are struck with this. There is hope and don't look at stats. They are old and things are changing everyday with treatments. You will find comfort here on this board. The treatments are horrible but your husband will fight thru,he has to. Keep positive and before you know it will be over. He is lucky to have such a great caregiver. Remember to take care of yourself also. Keep us posted.

Michelle
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hello to you and welcome to the dicussion boards. A great place to be.

I am a Stage 3 survivor. Had surgery a year ago. Resection and had 6 months of chemo which ended last October. In December I had my colonoscopy and was NED (No Evidence of Disease)!!

The chemo does work! It sucks.. but just hang in there. I had to change my chemo "cocktail" because the first chemos were to hard on me. The next ones seemed to work better.

It is April and I am feeling great. Just got in from working out in the yard. (couldn't do that much last year). I have always had a good attitude and I never look back. Talking to people, on here, has been so much help and you learn alot, as well.

Tell your husband he has to save all his energy for moving forward.

My best to you and your husband. Come back if you have anymore questions. Lots of people, on here, can help

Claudia
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in January 07 with cc stage 3A on a routine colonoscopy. Had a resection 8 rounds of folfox and 28 days of radiation with 5FU my last scans were clean and colonoscopy in January 08 was clean. Take the others advice here and don't look at the statistics they are old and as my oncologist says "they weren't written for you or about you" they are encompass a huge number of variables. I, too, had my chemo adjusted for me many times, but so far so good. These boards can be very helpful, even when your husband is done sometimes it can help to talk to other survivors. There are many Stage IV survivors on the board. Take care and best wishes.
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with stage 3B cancer in September of 06 at 44 years of age. I remember asking the same questions that you are asking and wanting someone to give me a higher percentage that the cancer would not return. I got the best advice here on this site reminding me not to look at the statistics, that they are all old. I have to believe that. My husband had chemo/rads, resection surgery, then 8 more treatments of Folfox. He finished treatments and had his ileostomy reversal about 10 months ago. He is doing very well. Things are almost back to normal (whatever that is!) I have to say, life will never be exactly the same. We look at life differently and sometimes feel like this fear is still lingering,although we try not to let that get the best of us. We don't take each other for granted as we may have done before. No, I don't think you are fooling yourself! I know this is a long haul, but there are better times ahead for you and your husband! It has been about 1-1/2 years since we got that awful news, and here we are. We made it through--and so will you!

Stay positive!

Faith
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi Jmarie,
    I just want to let you know that I was diagnosed at the ripe age of 31, in 2001 with Stage IV and here I am , alive, and cancer free (knock wood). When I went through treatment, the chemo that your husband is on did not exist yet. You should not obsess over whether or not your husbands cancer will return. It is really never going to be "back to normal", you can read my little rant on the "Do you wonder?" post below. However, it does get better and with each passing month/year/etc. you do finally get to the point where you actually believe that "it" is gone. The worst part is the followups, at least for me. They remind me of the entire ordeal and I will just be so damn glad when I don't have to go to the doctor for this anymore, or get anymore CT scans. Don't get me wrong, I am greatful every single day because I know how fortunate I am. We all want life to get back to normal, but it really is a new normal. I would like to move on with life and not need these boards anymore, but as long as I have to go to the doctor and worry about checkups I probably will still need them, and after all, I am still here to hopefully inspire other people that they too can and will survive!
    Take care,
    Susan H.
  • Hanac
    Hanac Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi,

I was diagnosed stage 3 on April 30th 2005, just after my 49th birthday. I had surgery on May 9th and six months of Folfox with Avastin every other week and then six months of Avastin alone every other week. I go in for my annual CT scan on May 14th and I feel great (knock on wood). In fact tonight my husband and I are going out to celebrate my 52nd birthday. I used to dread birthdays...now I relish them...I feel like dancing in the rain! Yee haw!!!

You will get through this!

Love,

Hana
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed stage 3c ,aggressive and into 6 nodes at age 47. I turn 58 on Sunday still ca free after ten years. Believe. Ron.