lots of stuff this week

Denise1966
Denise1966 Member Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, I met with my oncologist yesterday. He told me that on Tuesday I'm getting my mediport implanted. Wednesday I meet with the radiation oncologist and then we start both radiation and chem on monday. He told me that doing chemo/rad before surgery has a good chance of shrinking the tumor and downgrading the stage. Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of it? Does the implanting of the mediport hurt? As usual any responses would be appreciated.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Yup. As I have posted, pre-surgical chemo/rads COMPLETELY eliminated my tumor...golf ball size...

As far as the mediport...well, it is a surgery, but other than caring for the wound, I had no trouble with it...it served me well thru both cancers, and a total bowel obstruction where they used it to feed me...SOOOOOO much better than hunting for a vein each infusion!

Hugs, Kathi
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Hi Denise,
    you will be glad you got the port. Like Kathi said, it is surgery (to install) but it isn't that bad. It will feel tender for a week but will lessen in time. It was worth that to have the port.

I didn't have Rads so can't help you there.

What is the chemo you will be having? They affect everyone differently so we can only tell you the way it affects us. Let me know which ones and will let you know of it's affects on me.

You're doing great, girl!!
    Claudia
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Hi Denise: Since they are putting in a port I guess you have having 5FU, are you doing any other chemo? I did radiation with 5FU five days a week for 6 weeks and didn't have too much trouble with it. I didn't have a tumor so I can't comment on that. It doesn't hurt to have the port put in, you will be so glad you did. It is a little sore for a day or two. They put steri - strips over my incisions, I didn't think they were ever going to come off!! Let me know what chemo you are having, maybe I can give you some help in managing any side effects, I got pretty good at that. Hopefully, you won't have many (or ideally not any). Sounds like you are doing well.
  • KierstenRx
    KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
    Denise,
    The port is a Godsend!!! It is surgery as the others stated and does cause some initial discomfort. I took some pain medication for about 3-4 days. It was tender for a couple weeks. I never thought I would get used to it, however now I don't even notice it. If your surgeon gives you a choice put in opposite your writing hand. I also had it placed just to the left of my bra strap so I wouldn't have a scar showing when I wear v-neck tops. If my scans stay clear we will look at removing it this fall.

As far as radiation and chemo before surgery is concerned it definiatley made a difference for me. I was thought to be stage III before surgery and was considered Stage III after, but it really helped me to have a successful surgery. I had a very large rectal tumor and when they did surgery it was mostly a burnt out shell. Only a few stray cells were found (99% tumor gone). Chemo/radiation effects are different for everyone. Just give yourself plenty of rest. Also don't be afraid to take pain medication. I used it around the clock starting the last two weeks of radiation and 2 weeks post. I was pretty burnt and it felt like razorblades going to the bathroom. I was able to still work part time the entire treatment.

On a totally materialistic standpoint. I took on a "screw you cancer" mentality as soon as I was diagnosed. I decided to do my hair and makeup everyday and dressed even nicer to go to work and appoitments. It was my way of having some control in my life. I refused to let myself look sick even though I did feel like crap. Assuming you are going to be wearing the pump 24 hours a day I say do it in style!!! Go to the nearest Macy's, Dillards, Nordstrom or whatever is closest to you and get a Coach Swingpack bag. I bought it in the Hamptons fabric (so cute). You can find them at coach.com or ebay. My pump fit perfectly in it. I ran the tubing under the bottom of my shirt and wore the bag across my body. I received many compliments from my customers and none of them had any idea that I was getting chemo. Just a little something that made things better.

Just take a day at a time. You are in my prayers.

Kiersten
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member

Denise,
    The port is a Godsend!!! It is surgery as the others stated and does cause some initial discomfort. I took some pain medication for about 3-4 days. It was tender for a couple weeks. I never thought I would get used to it, however now I don't even notice it. If your surgeon gives you a choice put in opposite your writing hand. I also had it placed just to the left of my bra strap so I wouldn't have a scar showing when I wear v-neck tops. If my scans stay clear we will look at removing it this fall.

As far as radiation and chemo before surgery is concerned it definiatley made a difference for me. I was thought to be stage III before surgery and was considered Stage III after, but it really helped me to have a successful surgery. I had a very large rectal tumor and when they did surgery it was mostly a burnt out shell. Only a few stray cells were found (99% tumor gone). Chemo/radiation effects are different for everyone. Just give yourself plenty of rest. Also don't be afraid to take pain medication. I used it around the clock starting the last two weeks of radiation and 2 weeks post. I was pretty burnt and it felt like razorblades going to the bathroom. I was able to still work part time the entire treatment.

On a totally materialistic standpoint. I took on a "screw you cancer" mentality as soon as I was diagnosed. I decided to do my hair and makeup everyday and dressed even nicer to go to work and appoitments. It was my way of having some control in my life. I refused to let myself look sick even though I did feel like crap. Assuming you are going to be wearing the pump 24 hours a day I say do it in style!!! Go to the nearest Macy's, Dillards, Nordstrom or whatever is closest to you and get a Coach Swingpack bag. I bought it in the Hamptons fabric (so cute). You can find them at coach.com or ebay. My pump fit perfectly in it. I ran the tubing under the bottom of my shirt and wore the bag across my body. I received many compliments from my customers and none of them had any idea that I was getting chemo. Just a little something that made things better.

Just take a day at a time. You are in my prayers.

Kiersten

love your response, I didn't have pain during chemo/rads but I love the screw you cancer mentality. I used it too. I had trouble after I was was done - tumesis (can't spell it) and took pain meds every so often until it went away. Wish I had known about the coach bag, I looked for one, couldn't find it and just used what they gave me and decided, who cares. They took my port out - I was 3A - because they were worried about infection and I didn't need it anymore, but I wish they had put it on my left not my right. Good information.
  • 4law
    4law Member Posts: 110
    I've been following your posts. It seems as if you're in good hands. The port is a simple procedure -- I was sore for only 1 day -- but you'll soon see that it beats getting stuck a million times as you start medical procedures, chemo, etc. My port was inserted in an out-patient surgery. I was asleep. Believe me, I'm the biggest baby when it comes to needles -- the port was a lifesaver! I went through the same 6 week deal -- pumping 5FU and radiation. It works! By the time of my surgery, the tumor was gone with no involvement with lymph nodes. The first couple of weeks on chemo and radiation hardly affects you, but towards the end, you may become fatigued, and your bottom may become sore and painful. You will get through this because you will know that so many of us have gone through the same thing and beat this nasty disease. As you can see, you found a great support group. The port will be easy and not worth worrying about. A lot of people are cheering you on. We will wait for your post telling us how easy it was.
  • LynnN
    LynnN Member Posts: 13
    Just thinking about you and how your week went....You haven't posted so I hope you are Okay. Things can be a little overwhelming in the beginning...we are here to help!