ok so now the hair is coming now

dorion
dorion Member Posts: 183
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Alright, so I knew it was coming out but still it's sad, more of a sad sight. So my question is this, does your head become more sensitive to the touch, mine is it's a wierd feeling, me no likey! do you wear something around the house in bed to keep the hairs from being all over the place? I'm wearing a turban and I look rediculous which isn't anything to me anyway I look rediculous on what I think are my good days. Thanks guys and oh by the way what the heck is a divinci hysterectomy??? I have no clue.

Linda

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Hi, Linda: So, is this about 'day 21' or so? I remember I woke up one morning and my head was a little sore, much like when I was younger and would wear high ponytails or headbands or pins in my hair for long periods of time. Then when I started to comb it, it came out in strands. At first it was devastating, but maybe because I was prepared I was able to deal with it (AFTER THE TEARS!). So then I said to myself, 'OK, so let's start using some hats when I go out'. Anyway, It took a while, but it finally all came out. The second time I dealt with this, I had my hairdresser buzz off my hair to about 1/2" long before I knew it would happen. And actually, I felt much better doing it that way, rather than seeing it on the floor, pillow, etc.

The soreness eventually went away, and I had fun with a couple of different wigs (which I wore only to work and out sometimes). But I also wore my pretty pink baseball cap a lot when I went to the store. At night I did wear a pretty cotton cap, because you lose heat through your head and I definitely appreciated being warm at night (I often felt cold during chemo). A few good things about it - it felt really good washing my head, I was done in a flash if we were going somewhere, and I never had a bad hair day - then again, I HAD NO HAIR! (ha, ha!). But all joking aside, I know this is a traumatic time. So I wish I could give you a big hug. Next best thing, I'm thinking of you and sending prayers and thoughts. My family didn't mind if I walked around 'bare' at home. They told me I looked beautiful anyway (how sweet is that?). The only one I really worried about was my youngest daughter who was 12 the first time I went through this. I mostly kept something on around her because she was so sensitive and I didn't want her to feel bad.

If you get a wig, be sure to get a wig cap. It's just a light cotton cap to wear under the wig. Otherwise, it might get rough or itchy. And when I would go through my 'hot spells', my husband bought me wipes for bald men that were very soothing to rub on my head.

Believe it or not, you still need to be sure to wash as often as you normally would have shampooed. It keeps the circulation going so that when your hair is ready to come back the follicles will be rarin' to go!

Luv to you, Linda! Take care.
    Monika
  • curlyq1971
    curlyq1971 Member Posts: 56
    Hey Girl,
    My head felt like I had worn a ponytail for an extremely long time and had just taken the rubberband out..but that will go away, if I were you I would just have your head shaved, that way it won't be as messy. Before I shaved my head I wore a hat to bed so I wouldn't get my pillow all full of hair. You will feel so much better if you just shave it off, trust me, I shaved mine once and then had it done again, and eventually I was completely bald and as I said before I didn't wear a wig or anything I showed off my bald head. I did buy a wig but never wore it cuz it was too hot so I donated it to the cancer center that I go to. I did wear a hat when I went outside cuz it was winter time and that was given to my by my oncology nurses and I still have it as a memento of sorts. I know that it is sad to lose your hair, I cried the day it started falling out but after that I was fine, it was alot easier to take care when I was bald, and I knew in the grand scheme of things that it would grow back and it doesn't take long for it to start coming back in and it is exciting to see and it will feel so soft like baby hair, you will be amazed, my family and friends loved to feel my hair when it was growing in cuz it was so soft. Just think your hair might come back in a different color and curly it will be fun to see!! I always assumed that my hair would come back the same as it left and I was happily mistaken. At first my oncology nurses told me that sometimes when the hair comes back curly it could revert back to the way it was but it has been over 2 years now and it is still here, so it is here to stay which is fine with me. I will be anxious to hear how yours comes back in:)
    I have no idea what a Davinci Hysterectomy is, I looked it up on the internet and from what I read it is laproscopic and they use some sort of robot to make a more precise incision. I don't think that was a even an option for me, I had to have everything removed including omentum and 9 lymph nodes as a precaution which thankfully the omentum and lymph nodes tested negative for cancer.
    Keep smiling and thinking positive, this too shall pass:)
    Sending you a huge hug, and looking forward to chatting with you soon.
    Take Care,
    Leslie
  • dorion
    Thanks Leslie and Monika for your advice, yes I'm definately going to shave it off because it is driving me crazy, I'm itchy and it's all over the place even with my turban on. And I'm glad you mentioned that it hurts, it does. My head is sore to touch it, it's weird eh? But I've heard about the hair growing back curly and I do look forward to that, I want a brand new me for sure. I'll wear make up and try to look my best. My daughter is starting to get scared now that my hair is falling out, she siad that I won't look like Mommy anymore, I tried to reassure her that I'll still be me without hair. For her sake I'll put make up and play on the bald look. I'm just not looking forward to my brows and lashes going is all. Then I'll look like a freak. I can't sleep because my head is bothering me. I'm going to try to shave it tomorrow as soon as I get a hold of some clippers. Thank you so much ladies for your input and your advice I will take to heart and apply it. I'll keep you posted. I didnt think that it would just fall out all of a sudden like this, I thought it would fall out slowly. What a trip eh? Love you guys and I'll let you know when it's all off.

Linda
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Hi,
    I realy can't add anything to what Curly and mopar have told you, they did a brillant job. I also had my head shaved, and it was emotional..I think for me that was when I finally realized how very sick I was. I also washed my scalp with a shampoo call Nioxin,it stimulants and moisturizes your scalp and your hair will com back faster. As far as the da vinci surgery,I guess it is a brand new way of doing the surgery. My original Onc offers it as well,but I was given the old fashion type,like most people. My omentum and lymph nodes were all positive for cancer. It sounds like an excellent way to do the surgery,cutting down the healing time to next to nothing. Anyway, go buy yourself some hats,I loved to wear doorags,they were lighter and looked better. (((hugz)))~~~Joanne
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    One more thing, Linda -
    Brows - there are 'templates' or forms available with different brow shapes and sizes that you can use to create brows for yourself. They work great with a brow powder. Unfortunately, you can't even wear false eyelashes, because they still need a base of a few lashes to adhere to the glue. And obviously, getting glue in your eye wouldn't be pleasant!

First time my lashes and brows came back beautifully. Second time, my lashes are not as nice as the first time - very few, all different lengths - kind of weird! Anyway, I make do with what I have.

So, use liner on your eyes - it will give the illusion of lashes. And try the brow kits. Beyond that, don't worry. I think your daugther will still love you, and this is an opportunity for her to realize that beauty is more than just what we see on the outside!

Here's some (((HUGS)))!
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Ditto to the other ladies. Here are two web sites I use for hats (www.tlcdirect.org) and for wigs (PaulaYoung.com). I have four wigs and they are light weight and airy but still get hot in my flashes so I do not wear a cap under. I have many caps and many bandanas which I wear around the house. Since I have 7 more months of Taxol I think the expense is not much. I do line my eyes and paint on the brows. I hate that loss more than the hair. ((HUGS))
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Linda - I too shaved my hair when it was coming out by the handfuls. So much easier to do it in one fell swoop. My girlfriends had a "scarf" party for me when my hair started coming out and I had a scarf for every color outfit that you could come up with. The nurses who drew my blood each week loved to see what I would wear next. I never bought a wig - it just wasn't me. I wore a little skull cap at night because my head was always cold. My eyebrows and eyelashes didn't go until near the end of chemo and my eyelashes are now coming back but so different then before. I hate them. My eyebrows are gradually returning - but I'm so used to "helping" them out now it doesn't seem weird.

My hair is now growing back, it's about 1/2 inch long and completely silvery gray!! I've been blonde my whole life (with a little help the past few years since I'm 43. lol), but I'm alive and I guess all the other stuff doesn't really matter at some point.

Take good care and let us know how you are doing. Hugs.

Kris
  • curlyq1971
    curlyq1971 Member Posts: 56
    dorion said:

Thanks Leslie and Monika for your advice, yes I'm definately going to shave it off because it is driving me crazy, I'm itchy and it's all over the place even with my turban on. And I'm glad you mentioned that it hurts, it does. My head is sore to touch it, it's weird eh? But I've heard about the hair growing back curly and I do look forward to that, I want a brand new me for sure. I'll wear make up and try to look my best. My daughter is starting to get scared now that my hair is falling out, she siad that I won't look like Mommy anymore, I tried to reassure her that I'll still be me without hair. For her sake I'll put make up and play on the bald look. I'm just not looking forward to my brows and lashes going is all. Then I'll look like a freak. I can't sleep because my head is bothering me. I'm going to try to shave it tomorrow as soon as I get a hold of some clippers. Thank you so much ladies for your input and your advice I will take to heart and apply it. I'll keep you posted. I didnt think that it would just fall out all of a sudden like this, I thought it would fall out slowly. What a trip eh? Love you guys and I'll let you know when it's all off.

Linda

I was scared to about the lashes and the brows, but honestly they didn't go until the very end, and I didn't lose all of my brows, and still had definition of where they were so it still looked like eyebrows, and seriously after the last chemo everything came in like gangbusters. My lashes are fuller and longer than before, and my eyebrows are the same. On the plus side of things, my leg hair isn't as much as it once was which is nice cuz I don't need to shave as often as I had to before. My son was 9 at the time when I was doing chemo and he took my being bald really well, it helped that he had seen his grandma bald from undergoing breast cancer treatment just a few months prior to when I was diagnosed. I was still Mommy to him, and he even went down to the oncologist with me while I was in treatment so he could see exactly what was going on and it helped ease his mind that they weren't "hurting" me they were "helping" me. Now when I go to the oncologist for a follow-up I let him know the results of the CA125 and that I am okay so he doesn't get worried cuz this one time I was sick with a cold and he asked me if I had cancer again, so now I make sure to tell him when I go to the doctor and that I am okay. It is alot for a little guy to take on but he was and is a trooper, and your daughter will be too:) Keep us posted, and Take Care and in my heart I am bald right along with you.

Lot of Hugs,
    Leslie
  • dorion
    mopar said:

One more thing, Linda -
    Brows - there are 'templates' or forms available with different brow shapes and sizes that you can use to create brows for yourself. They work great with a brow powder. Unfortunately, you can't even wear false eyelashes, because they still need a base of a few lashes to adhere to the glue. And obviously, getting glue in your eye wouldn't be pleasant!

First time my lashes and brows came back beautifully. Second time, my lashes are not as nice as the first time - very few, all different lengths - kind of weird! Anyway, I make do with what I have.

So, use liner on your eyes - it will give the illusion of lashes. And try the brow kits. Beyond that, don't worry. I think your daugther will still love you, and this is an opportunity for her to realize that beauty is more than just what we see on the outside!

Here's some (((HUGS)))!
    Monika

Hi Ladies, well tomorrow I'm going to have it all shaved off because yes it's driving me nuts, it's in my face I feel like I've had a hair cut and the hair is still all over me. I am wearing scarves around the house and obviously when I go out. Fortunately I've always had short hair, so it's not as traumatic as I know some of you ladies that have beautiful long hair. Meghan (my daughter) is starting to get use to me losing my hair and she doesn't seem scared anymore. she asked that I wear my wig when I take her to school so that kids won't ask her questions, I told her they'll ask more questions if I show up with a completey different hair look. But I guess I"m starting to get use to it. I finally braved a shower today, I was afraid to take one because of all the hair that will fall out, I even comb my hair, with clumps of it coming out. Oh well, it is what it is,and my acceptance of it is all due to you wonderful ladies who have gotten me through this. Yes I'm not looking forward to the brows or lashes, my brows I've always made them look nice with brow filler and that was the only one thing I liked about my facial features......but I've seen those stencils, and I'll get them. To think that I was a make up artist, it's what I use to do for a living, not mary K or avon but I went to school for this, I did tv sitcoms here in Toronto and had clientel who's houses I would go to do their make up, but I have no clue about this part of make up.....if you know what I mean, like my foundation will what, have to match my bald head now, and not my jawline? Thank you so much for being here and I'l write tomorrow after my head shaving and let you know how I feel. Love to all of you!
    Linda