How Do You Keep Your Head Warm?

mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finally lost my hair and am wearing cute little cotton caps (the kind they put on newborns - only I don't look cute like newborns do). But the problem is that I'm always cold and my head is always cold. I have a wig, but it seems a hassle to put on every day so these caps are convenient, but is there some trick to trapping the heat??? I live southeast of Chicago and this winter has been brutal. Thanks.

Comments

• Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    I have seen a lot of ladies this year with those knit hats in many colors that have ear flaps that hang down that you can tie or not. They are pretty stylish because I saw a few Hollywood types in People magazine wearing them. Maybe one of the other girls has some suggestions. Cindy
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    I live in Minnesota and was bald all last winter. I gave up on the wig and switched to big colorful (kind of dramatic) scarves. I got this funny little cap/ band (at the place where I got the wig) that I wore under the scarf that both kept the scarf in place and kept me warm enough.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    How about regular SNOW caps???? I had this great tam in white, that I wore ALOT! If there is a 'Susie's Deals' clothing store around you, look there..there are some VERY cute knit caps...heavy gauge for the out-of-doors (or for those of us who need extra). I also bought a few sweat suits with hoods in them...they helped, too!

Hugs, Kathi

PS...for itching, dry scalp I used a Mary Kay product. They lovingly call it 'axle grease'. I think it's called 'night protection cream' or something like it....was a GREAT relief!
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Hi Marilyn, I went through chemo last winter and live in the north. I used knitted caps and sometimes a scarf with a knitted cap. I even slept with a cap since I was always cold. I had been used to my long hair keeping my neck warm and found I was using a knitted scarf even in the house to keep my neck warm. Hope this helps.
    jan
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    I always wore scarves under my caps to double insulate. I also wore a scarf on my head to bed to help keep myself warm. Also there is a website that will send you a few free hats it is called heavenly hats. www.heavenlyhats.com I went to the site, filled out a request and received several very nice hats free of charge. It is run by a young man with a big heart. Hope these tips helped and remember it grows back. I have lost my hair three times and even though it is no fun it does return. Hugs to you! Rena
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    RE said:

I always wore scarves under my caps to double insulate. I also wore a scarf on my head to bed to help keep myself warm. Also there is a website that will send you a few free hats it is called heavenly hats. www.heavenlyhats.com I went to the site, filled out a request and received several very nice hats free of charge. It is run by a young man with a big heart. Hope these tips helped and remember it grows back. I have lost my hair three times and even though it is no fun it does return. Hugs to you! Rena

You girls are so special to me that I don't have the words to express what I'm feeling for each and every one of you. I love you all. Hugs, Marilynn
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Good morning ,Marilyn! I wore fleece hats even to bed, as I went thru baldness during a Michigan winter. I got mine free at my treatment center. A lady made them w/ scarves to match!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Hey, y'all, Texas Winters are not much of a problem, I wear hats that I ordered from the ACS catalog, called TLC. The catalog is free for the asking. Hats are probably cheaper elsewhere, but don't necessarily provide the comfort and coverage I want. What we have to worry with here is the Summer. If you need a tip for that, just wear bandannas or thin cotton turbans which have been dampened in cool water under sun hats.

More power to you, ladies. seof