physical therapy/exercises/ease tightness with lat flap

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay, several people replied to my question about tightness after breast reconstruction (I had the lat flap with an implant - actually, my procedure is supposed to be experimental in the sense that it was done in one step instead of the usual tissue expander thing with the implants - I now have a full breast and only have to go back for the nipple tattooing in 6-7 weeks). Anyway, I was wondering if there are any websites with physical therapy exercises you can do to relieve the tightness from the lat flap procedure, and if so, when did you start them? Any information would be appreciated. I love this site! Ohilly

Comments

• survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Ohilly, I did not realize that you had the full implant at the same time. I thought you had tissue expanders. First, I would check with the doctor. Second, remember what I said about to relieve the tightness from warm showers, to putting wet handtowels in the microwave to put on the breast, also the "bed buddy" that can be purchased at a drug store or Walmart. Also, you can slowly start using your hands to climb the wall in the shower to work on flexibility. This is why it is good to use the shoestring to tie the drains about the neck. It allows you to use your hand and not have to hold the drains. But....check with the nurse at the plastic surgeon first. Here is a site for stretching that also has free videos: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/HQ01447
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Ohilly, I did not realize that you had the full implant at the same time. I thought you had tissue expanders. First, I would check with the doctor. Second, remember what I said about to relieve the tightness from warm showers, to putting wet handtowels in the microwave to put on the breast, also the "bed buddy" that can be purchased at a drug store or Walmart. Also, you can slowly start using your hands to climb the wall in the shower to work on flexibility. This is why it is good to use the shoestring to tie the drains about the neck. It allows you to use your hand and not have to hold the drains. But....check with the nurse at the plastic surgeon first. Here is a site for stretching that also has free videos: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/HQ01447

I had tissue expanders after my bilateral mastectomy on 12/21/07. I will have reconstruction after radiation. I experienced tightness, and still do occasionally. I had 7 nodes removed on the right side, and still feel some occasional tightness under the arm...feels like I have on a sleeveless shirt and the armholes are too small. My plastic surgeon said warm showers and massage. both helped. Ask your Dr. what he/she would recommend. My stiffness has improved with time.

Be patient and let yourself heal. seof.
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Options
    I have been attending an excercise class for women with breast cancer - we're all in various stages of post mastectomy or reconstruction. The class is offered by a Physical Therapist who is also a survivor and works in Physical Rehab at a local cancer center where I go for lymphedema treatment. I think if you call the physical rehab centers at local hospitals in your area they may give you a copy of the excercises for post reconstruction patients or ask your surgeon to refer you to a good rehab center to get at least one visit to set up with the right excercises and tell you when you're ready to start different movements. There is a fabulous new center founded by a breast cancer survivor for fitness training for survivors. Perhaps you can email them for advice here is the URL: http://www.survivorstraining.org/
    Good luck
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Ohilly:
    When I had my mastectomy, doctor said I couldn't do exercise until healing was complete. (6 weeks), after that I started walking up the wall with my finger tips until I was able to extend my arm fully. Check with the doctor before you do it to make sure you are fully healed. Lili
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Hi Ohilly:
    When I had my mastectomy, doctor said I couldn't do exercise until healing was complete. (6 weeks), after that I started walking up the wall with my finger tips until I was able to extend my arm fully. Check with the doctor before you do it to make sure you are fully healed. Lili

I did not have reconstruction. My doctor said wait 24 hours and then start with ten exercises he gave me with a 3 foot dowel. It took about 25 minutes for the ten exercises and I was reaching over my head to the mark on the wall within two days! Obviously we are all different and need to follow our doctor's advice. Good luck!