neulesta

nanagrandma
nanagrandma Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
im getting neulesta after my chemo treatments i know it is suppose to make your bones hurt but is it an almost everyday thing?

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    No, usually just flu-like symptoms the 24 hours after the shot. I had this for my breast cancer...I don't know how much was the Neulasta and how much was the chemo sides kicking in..lol...the 'red devil' as adriamycin is called, knocked my socks off (also my hair...rofl).

Hugs, Kathi

PS Don't forget your WATER!!!!!
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    I was given neulesta also. You do feel the flu like syptoms but it does go away. I didn't get it until the end of my chemo cycles. I needed it because my white count was down. Don't worry it will go away,so rest and keep hydrated.

Michelle
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    I had no side effects from the shot. Hopefully, your bone pain will go away. If it doesn't, ask your doctor.

Debbie
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    It probably shouldn't last constantly, but remember, neulesta works to build up the counts in your bone marrow so that's why you hurt.

When the nurses told me that, I thought to myself...okay, I can do this. It's doing good stuff!"

Hope it gets better soon!

Claudia
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    As I remember, it hurt for about 3 days and then began to be much better. It is a shame that you have to feel bad to feel good, but this disease has to be beaten into the dirt to go away. Hang in there.
    Jo Ann
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    In my case, I honestly thought that the pain caused by the Neulasta was far worse than the chemo treatments! My oncologist never told me that I might experience "discomfort"; had I known, I would have been better prepared! About 2 days after the injection, all 206 bones hurt so badly that I needed help to even get out of bed to go to the bathroom! The pain lasted about 5 days....UGH!

The shot stimulates the growth of white cells in the bone marrow; only much quicker than our bodies normally would. My chemo RN explained that the cells were being squeezed out of the marrow in much the same way as toothpaste gets squeezed from a tube. OUCH! Thankfully, the pain subsides in time for your next round of chemo!

My doctor was surprised at my reaction; he said most have minor discomfort not worth mentioning.

I hope this helps! The Neulasta did its job; I never had to postpone my chemo schedule, and of course, once I didn't need the injections anymore, I had no pain at all! YAY

Hugs,
    Chenheart