Neutrapenic

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Came to the ER Saturday night on day 10 after infusion spiking a very 102 fever. No white cells. My first infusion totally zapped me. Has this happened to anyone else? I now know that with my next infusion I will have double doses of decadron to control my allergic reaction to the taxotere and that I will follow with a shot of neutrapene (I think its called). It helps the bone marrow to produce white blood cells more quickly. It's not neulasta, which I'm told is more powerful. But the one they gave me has brought my white cells up to 6000 in only 24 hours.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Neulasta was given to me in shot form the day after infusion, after each infusion. This stuff works very well, but can produce flu-like symptoms that last a day or so. But WOW! did my white cell count skyrocket...

We knew I was low from my first round of chemo for the rectal...I was given Neupogin in 4 shots, 4 days. It worked better for me...less side effects...but more hassle to get to the doc...

Hugs, Kathi
  • mgm42
    Options
    KathiM said:

Neulasta was given to me in shot form the day after infusion, after each infusion. This stuff works very well, but can produce flu-like symptoms that last a day or so. But WOW! did my white cell count skyrocket...

We knew I was low from my first round of chemo for the rectal...I was given Neupogin in 4 shots, 4 days. It worked better for me...less side effects...but more hassle to get to the doc...

Hugs, Kathi

neupogin (sp), that's what I got Kathi. Because my count responded so quickly, they decided no more shots until after round 2. Can't say as I'm looking forward to round 2. Chemo doesn't like me - and I don't like. LOL
  • After my first infusion I ran a fever. I thought it was because I had just had a flu shot. It lasted one day. After my first infusion of taxol, the next chemo cocktail, I again ran a short lived fever. Then I figured that the fevers might be connected to the new infusions. The good thing is, however, I only ran the fever with the first infusion of each new cocktail. Subsequent infusions did not cause a fever. I hope that for you too, the first infusion is a settling in time. Next time around, it may be easier! Keep up the good fight, my friend. Drink lots of water, as everyone says. I didn't start out doing this, but learned and it did indeed make a difference. My second Taxol, which I got in a sea of water, was a lot easier than the first.
    In all that you do, and feel, may you be strengthened!
    love,
    Joyce
  • mgm42
    Options
    unknown said:

After my first infusion I ran a fever. I thought it was because I had just had a flu shot. It lasted one day. After my first infusion of taxol, the next chemo cocktail, I again ran a short lived fever. Then I figured that the fevers might be connected to the new infusions. The good thing is, however, I only ran the fever with the first infusion of each new cocktail. Subsequent infusions did not cause a fever. I hope that for you too, the first infusion is a settling in time. Next time around, it may be easier! Keep up the good fight, my friend. Drink lots of water, as everyone says. I didn't start out doing this, but learned and it did indeed make a difference. My second Taxol, which I got in a sea of water, was a lot easier than the first.
    In all that you do, and feel, may you be strengthened!
    love,
    Joyce

Thanks, Joyce. I'm home now and they told me that for next infusion, they will 1) double my decadron and give something else to reduce the risk of allergic reaction; 2) slow the drip to a tolerable rate; 3)give me a shot of neulasta (they changed from nupogen to neulasta) to reduce the risk of becoming neutrapenic again. Wow. That first infusion was sure a doozie. :) Marilynn
  • mgm42 said:

Thanks, Joyce. I'm home now and they told me that for next infusion, they will 1) double my decadron and give something else to reduce the risk of allergic reaction; 2) slow the drip to a tolerable rate; 3)give me a shot of neulasta (they changed from nupogen to neulasta) to reduce the risk of becoming neutrapenic again. Wow. That first infusion was sure a doozie. :) Marilynn

Don't be too surprised if the decadron makes you a little spacy with mood swings. Hard to say exactly what its from since so much goes on at once (chemo, nerves, menopause) but my mood swings like Austin Powers!
    Remember to look forward to each chemo....BEING OVER! ONE LESS! YEAH!
    Joyce