Successful move to Fl.

apache4
apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all. I haven't written in awhile, but read the boards everyday. You are all always in my thoughts and prayers.
Just an update here...
I have been in the Tampa area now for almost three weeks. Talk about stress...I drove with 4 cats and a small dog and had my two big Newfoundland dogs moved via a wonderful pet transport company. My sister came for ten days to help with different projects and I am now all set. I love it here. My son and family are only 4 miles away and I will visit my daughter in Ca. in the spring. I am set up with Moffitt Cancer Center. It is just huge compared with the small center I went to in Longview, Tx. I missed a scheduled chemo due to low platelets and 'am trying not to be paranoid. I will be trying again tomorrow. 'on second round of chemo after 16 rounds of 5-fu, Oxy and Avastin. dx 5/06 with Stage IV with "too many to count" liver tumors. I had a six month respite until new activity showed so I am now on Folfiri and Irinotecan. Hair thinning is my worse side effect. I will be doing round 5 of this tomorrow, I hope. It is very interesting to go to a different treatment center and a little scary. I don't know them and they don't know me. I am feeling great now that the anxiety and stress of the move is over. That "stress thing" is REAL! I get all sorts of sharp pains, etc., but now recognize it as as stress.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    So glad you can put that stress behind you!!! This is good to be close to family...I moved close to my mom, and my daughter...
    I'm so glad the hair thinning is the worst side...whew!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    I really admire your strength and energy, especially when dealing with chemo. I do know that being around family is the very best medicine that could be prescribed to anyone. And don't worry about missing the odd chemo, your body is telling you to take a break. Monica
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Are you keeping up with your training or are you up to that? Did you find a gym in FL? Hope all works out smoothly.
    Jo Ann
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Good to hear that you're all settled in. It is always comforting to be close to family and that has to be good for your health as well! Soon you will be familiar with your surroundings and hopefully you will be more comfortable with your new treatment center. Relax now and take care!

Faith
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    With two newfys to take care of you, you'll be fine. Our newfy decided to stay with us when a weird neighbor locked him out for digging beds for himself in the lawn. Lucky us.
  • apache4
    jams67 said:

Are you keeping up with your training or are you up to that? Did you find a gym in FL? Hope all works out smoothly.
    Jo Ann

I am looking for a new Taekwondo school. It has to be affliated with the American Taekwondo Association and the closest are a little far from home. It is the first thing to check out next week. Need to continue as I am a Brown Belt now :)
  • apache4
    KathiM said:

So glad you can put that stress behind you!!! This is good to be close to family...I moved close to my mom, and my daughter...
    I'm so glad the hair thinning is the worst side...whew!

Hugs, Kathi

I was close to my son and family in Texas, but he got promoted and the company moved him here to Tampa area. So, I just followed, again. That is why I originally moved to Texas from California :) My daughter is cool with it all...she even paid cash for this new home for me.
  • apache4
    PGLGreg said:

With two newfys to take care of you, you'll be fine. Our newfy decided to stay with us when a weird neighbor locked him out for digging beds for himself in the lawn. Lucky us.

That neighbor sure is weird. Newfs are the best (if you like big, furry slobbering dogs). My two also dig holes for themselves, but at this house are doing it in a very convenient area. They are so good! I am happy to meet another Newfy owner!
  • dn220
    dn220 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Congrats on your move to Tampa, that is my hometown and i would almost give my right arm to be back there. My sister lives there still. She is coming up here to Ms for my surgery this weekend. I hope you enjoy it there. Its a real culture shock for some.
    Deb