After bilateral Mast and chemo...what's next?

Options
survivor51
survivor51 Member Posts: 276
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a bilateral Mastectomy March of 07 and finished chemo. I've had the reconstruction and coming up on my one year mark. I keep hearing where cancer has come back after 2-3 years. How do they determine this...what is the first sign? Is it protocal for them to do a Pet Scan at the one year mark? Can they tell from blood test? Now that I have finished my one year almost....what is next? I know that there are no guarantees but what can I expect next as to the doctors? Thanks,

Comments

• Congrats on your 1 yr survival! I also hear the stories of recurrences a couple years into survivorship. My Aunt had her recurrence in her neck at the 2 1/2 year point. I just don't think that there is a full proof way to predict. I too have that fear in the back of my mind---some days more than others. But I think that we must try and tell ourselves that we will be ok and its over--time to enjoy life! The mind is a powerful thing. I know where you are coming from though. tc, eil
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Hi Angela, I've read that 60% recur within 3yrs. It's a worry for me too. Just keep checking yourself and keep your app'ts.

Check out webmd for their checklist. Hope this helps.
    http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/guide/follow-up-checklist

jan
  • survivor51
    Options

Hi Angela, I've read that 60% recur within 3yrs. It's a worry for me too. Just keep checking yourself and keep your app'ts.

Check out webmd for their checklist. Hope this helps.
    http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/guide/follow-up-checklist

jan

Thanks Jan and I will check out this site. Most days are really good but then for some reason that little black spot in the mind gets ahead of me. I wonder if there will ever be a time that I can just relax. Thanks for the patience. Angela
  • survivor51
    Options
    unknown said:

Congrats on your 1 yr survival! I also hear the stories of recurrences a couple years into survivorship. My Aunt had her recurrence in her neck at the 2 1/2 year point. I just don't think that there is a full proof way to predict. I too have that fear in the back of my mind---some days more than others. But I think that we must try and tell ourselves that we will be ok and its over--time to enjoy life! The mind is a powerful thing. I know where you are coming from though. tc, eil

Hey Eli,
    Thanks and I will try to keep my mind in the right frame. Most days it is easy. I guess I'm juste hearing more of reoccurances. thanks for being there.
  • I asked my doctor this question but didn't listen too hard to the answer because I was too scared. There seems to be several ways that the beast will be back: as an onsite recurrance (even at the mas. site, a new lump), a nearby recurrance (muscle wall, lymph node under breastbone) or mets in distant location. I think each of these require different tests, from mammograms, to blood tests, to just patients saying that they have pain. My doc explained that it is not good to have constant scans due to the radiation. Different degrees of severity are associated with different recurrances. That's the best I know.
    Since recieving my dx, a part of me has been shattered. It is the part of me that used to believe "everything will be okay" because the news that one has C is news that everything is not okay, and in some ways never will be again. It is SUCH a shame that the main tool we need for spiritual healing is optimism, and our girlish optimism is the first casualty of our dx! Or at least was for me. But as my mind races with fear occasionally, I reason with myself. Just like I once thought everything was going to be okay - and it wasn't -the opposite can be true, too. In other words, just because I am thinking bad things may happen does not mean that they will. I am sure that ALL BC women go through this fear, the ones who never see C again and the ones who fight it twice. Going through the fear has no impact on the outcome. Fear does not mean consequence, just like naivite did not mean I wouldn't get C.
    Well, that was convoluted perhaps. I just wanted to pass on what peace I have been able to come to in case in anyway it can help someone else. Because it is darn scary, no? All my love to all of you, in all we go through,
    Joyce
  • survivor51
    Options
    unknown said:

I asked my doctor this question but didn't listen too hard to the answer because I was too scared. There seems to be several ways that the beast will be back: as an onsite recurrance (even at the mas. site, a new lump), a nearby recurrance (muscle wall, lymph node under breastbone) or mets in distant location. I think each of these require different tests, from mammograms, to blood tests, to just patients saying that they have pain. My doc explained that it is not good to have constant scans due to the radiation. Different degrees of severity are associated with different recurrances. That's the best I know.
    Since recieving my dx, a part of me has been shattered. It is the part of me that used to believe "everything will be okay" because the news that one has C is news that everything is not okay, and in some ways never will be again. It is SUCH a shame that the main tool we need for spiritual healing is optimism, and our girlish optimism is the first casualty of our dx! Or at least was for me. But as my mind races with fear occasionally, I reason with myself. Just like I once thought everything was going to be okay - and it wasn't -the opposite can be true, too. In other words, just because I am thinking bad things may happen does not mean that they will. I am sure that ALL BC women go through this fear, the ones who never see C again and the ones who fight it twice. Going through the fear has no impact on the outcome. Fear does not mean consequence, just like naivite did not mean I wouldn't get C.
    Well, that was convoluted perhaps. I just wanted to pass on what peace I have been able to come to in case in anyway it can help someone else. Because it is darn scary, no? All my love to all of you, in all we go through,
    Joyce

Thanks Joyce,
    Sometimes I wish there was a magic ball...seems my ups and downs lately are close together. Thanks for being here.
  • jackiemanz
    jackiemanz Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Congradulation on your 1 year mark. I too have the same feelings. Somedays I'm scared to death that it's going to come back and will I catch it early like I did this time other days I don't even think about it. I guess all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and say our prayers.

Hugs,
    Jackie