OHilly is back

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello to all who have wished me good luck. I had my mastectomy and reconstruction on Feb. 21 and just got home from the hospital. I woke up with very little pain and still don't have much, which is amazing. Of course, the final path report (which was my biggest fear) has not come back yet, but the surgeon said the node appeared clear to her as far as she could see right now. I just got home and believe it or not, my biggest challenge has nothing to do with the cancer: I could not urinate after the operation. Apparently, the catheter they had to put in during the surgery irritated my urethra or something. Actually, I did urinate a little bit, but I had to strain so hard and only a little bit came out (sorry for all these details). Then it stopped, like a faucet that has been turned off. I would have preferred staying in the hospital until they fixed the problem, but nowadays hospitals want to send you home, so they did and I have a an appt. to see urologist at Rush Presbyterian St. Luke's where I am getting my cancer treatment on Tuesday. I am very worried about this and feel out of control with my body. I am worry what if I can never pee again, which I know sounds crazy but this is my fear. I also find it hard to take care of all the drains, etc. at home. Anyway, just wanted to give all of you an update. Has anyone ever experienced this problem with not being able to pee and how soon did it get resolved? Ohilly

Comments

• So glad to hear you are doing well. As for the peeing...don't worry, that too will pass! I know it is hard, but try not to worry too much. You are taking a long drive, sometimes you will be in the drivers seat, and sometimes, in order to rest, let yourself be in the passenger seat. You will get where you need to go even if you don't drive all the time. Part of this journey is a ride.
    It was good for me to learn this. I like to control EVERYTHING. Some of my other drivers now include family, time, distractions, healing and quiet. Don't know if this makes sense. Most importantly, BE well.
    love and good wishes,
    Joyce
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    It is sooo wonderfu to hear you are on the other side of this now. Any time they put a cather in, it does cause a bit of a problem. I emailed you with a possible solution that worked for me. With the drains, the hospital I went for my bilateral, gave me a camosole that had pockets for the drains. I ended up getting diaper pins and there was a plastic loop on my drains. I put the pin through the loops. If you didn't get a camosole, you can use a t-shirt. In the shower, I got a long shoe string and put the four drains with the loops and the string and hung it around my neck. This allowed my arms to be free. I'm so thrilled you are finished with that part and praying for the report. Angela
  • ladybluepgh
    ladybluepgh Member Posts: 76
    Options
    so glad you made it through the worse part..now is the time for healing...I was looking last nite to see if you had come home yet ...happy you did..take care of you...now is the time for living
  • congrats on getting through your surgery! so glad you are not in a lot of pain.hang in there, soon you will be getting back to your routine. we were praying for you. blessings, eil
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Welcome Home, ohilly! I hope you could feel the good vibes, positive thoughts, prayers and all good things being sent your way! ( and had we only known, we would have included peeing in the supplications that were offered!)
    We look forward to hearing the latest good news from you~ no need apologizing about the details...thats why we're here, isn't it?

Hugs, and happy healing!

Claudia
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Wonderful to hear you are doing well. Sorry I can't help you out about the peeing. Just take it easy and rest. You've been through a lot.
    Best wishes
    jan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome home! Glad things worked out.

I HATED my cath...had it after my bowel resection...I had the opposite trouble...the thing wasn't working right...I had the urge to pee, the guy who removed it said that was impossible...so I went to the toilet and filled the cup...lol!!!!

I made a hook off of a hanger for my drains while I showered...it worked great...and I pinned my drains to my waistband otherwise...

Hugs, Kathi
  • OregonSeaStar
    OregonSeaStar Member Posts: 41
    Options
    So glad to hear that you got thru the surgery well! Like you, pain was never a real problem with me. AND, like you, I experienced the same problems with peeing! The nurse assigned to me in the hospital told me that some patients react this way to the anesthesia - that it can cause various organs to be 'sleepy' for several days until all the anesthesia is out of one's system. And, true to her words, everything 'woke up' and began working properly a few days later. I experienced the same thing with each of the 3 surgeries I had right after this. With each one I became less concerned about the functions returning.

I sincerely hope that thats how it works for you. By all means see the urologist on Tuesday. Hopefully, he can reassure you that everything will return to normal soon. Good luck!
  • jackiemanz
    jackiemanz Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Glad to hear you are doing well. Don't worry about not being able to pee right now it will come back soon. The drains were my problem also I made my husband take care of them for me.

Again glad to hear your doing fine. Just kick back an rest and let your family and friends take care of you.

Hugs,
    Jackie
  • Great to see you back ohilly!
    I did not have a catheter so no 'p' problems.
    But I am sure they can fix that.
    And very encouraging words from your surgeon.
    Congrats and be GOOD to yourself. :-)
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options

So glad to hear that you got thru the surgery well! Like you, pain was never a real problem with me. AND, like you, I experienced the same problems with peeing! The nurse assigned to me in the hospital told me that some patients react this way to the anesthesia - that it can cause various organs to be 'sleepy' for several days until all the anesthesia is out of one's system. And, true to her words, everything 'woke up' and began working properly a few days later. I experienced the same thing with each of the 3 surgeries I had right after this. With each one I became less concerned about the functions returning.

I sincerely hope that thats how it works for you. By all means see the urologist on Tuesday. Hopefully, he can reassure you that everything will return to normal soon. Good luck!

Hi Ohilly! So glad everything worked out well for you and it's now over! I never had alot of pain but more discomfort. As far as peeing, I did have a catheter for the first 2 days but didn't really have any issues following. I don't know about you but when I woke up and the surgery was over, I felt so releived as if the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders. Good luck in your recovery! Thank you for letting us know how you're doing. HUGS!! Cathy