9 MILLION dollars!!!!!

Options
chenheart
chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So...What do you think of this one??? One of our Breast Cancer sisters , after surgery and mid-chemo, was dropped by her insurance company!!! Funny thing is, it is my insurance carrier as well~ YIKES! This brave warrior thankfully was able to finish her treatment through help available in her county, no thanks at all to HealthNet.

The good news is: The courts awarded her a whoo-hoo whopping 9 million dollars!!! The justice system being as it is, it's anyones guess if she will ever see the money, but at least she was able to finish treatment....and send a BIG message to the insurance company.

She definitely put the GRRRR in girl-power, didn't she???

Makes me wonder about these executive decisions~ what happens when they or their children get diagnosed with cancer? Do they cancel themselves or their babies? I think not!

So...as if doing battle with the Beast isn't enough, our sister battled and prevailed over the insurance company too! YEAH!!!

hugs,
Claudia

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Who can figure out Insurance companies? Good for her for being persistent, and getting her treatments done. our Insurance is generally very good, and has covered almost everything for me so far. The only thing they did not do is cover the prophylactic mastectomy I had. They covered the side with cancer, and they will cover the reconstruction for both, but not to remove the noncancerous side because Docs all said it was not "medically necessary". I don't understand why they cover the rebuilding, but not the demolition...but I am not complaining about that.

Thanks for sharing, seof
  • There IS a God, chen :-)
  • She helped all of us. Wish she could get 9 million "hugs" emails!
    Joyce
  • She helped all of us. Wish she could get 9 million "hugs" emails!
    Joyce
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Oh Chen,
    That absolutely thrills me because of the stress that insurance put her and her family through. This is one reason I always keep notes and dates and times when I have to deal with them. Kudos to her!!!!!!
  • ladybluepgh
    ladybluepgh Member Posts: 76
    Options
    wow..talk about winning a battle...good for her!...when I first saw your post..I thought you hit the lottery...I was going to offer to be your longlost cousin..lol
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    That's despicable! Dropping someone in the middle of their cancer tx. I'm sure they don't mention that when they sign people on. I hope she sees every last dime and soon too.
    jan
  • jackiemanz
    jackiemanz Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I hope she does get to see that $$$$ after the stress they put her through. Tell her I said You Go Girl.

Jackie
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I am also happy for her....it wasn't right AT ALL!!

But, at the same time, I see the second shoe...I hope I'm wrong...Health Net will raise it's prices, so less can afford health care insurance, etc...believe me, THEY will not be paying the 9 mill out of their OWN pocket!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    KathiM said:

I am also happy for her....it wasn't right AT ALL!!

But, at the same time, I see the second shoe...I hope I'm wrong...Health Net will raise it's prices, so less can afford health care insurance, etc...believe me, THEY will not be paying the 9 mill out of their OWN pocket!!!

Hugs, Kathi

You are right Kathi, they probably will, but if that's how they keep their premiums down, it isn't worth it. Perhaps when they raise their premiums less people will join them. Looks good on them. No point in paying any premium if it doesn't get you anything.

My husband said he saw it on CNN, but couldn't remember if they mentioned the insurance company, I certainly hope they did and I hope America was listening. Apparently the woman who made this decision as well as cancelling a slew of other people was given a bonus for performance. How does she sleep at night?
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

You are right Kathi, they probably will, but if that's how they keep their premiums down, it isn't worth it. Perhaps when they raise their premiums less people will join them. Looks good on them. No point in paying any premium if it doesn't get you anything.

My husband said he saw it on CNN, but couldn't remember if they mentioned the insurance company, I certainly hope they did and I hope America was listening. Apparently the woman who made this decision as well as cancelling a slew of other people was given a bonus for performance. How does she sleep at night?

Yes, HealthNet~ gave "incentives" for cancelling or at the very least not paying on claims filed. Sleep at night, indeed~ that's a good question! I dare say, this company no doubt is not alone in this practice, and as I said, it is MY insurance carrier!!! I have more reason than I even thought not to have a recurrance, don't I?

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I know this because I am a subscriber to them, as well. More unfortunate, because of my 2 cancer diagnosis, I am uninsurable by anyone else...I am sooooo surprised they have not dumped me...but, I make sure to pay my premium on time, and just take the $560 monthly hit stoically...if I would have self-paid all my treatment, it would have been over $800,000.

Hugs, Kathi