Duration of Side Effects

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've been told and read extensively about the side effects from my chemo drugs, taxotere and cytoxan, but what I can't seem to find out is how long do some these symptoms last? For instance, the bone pain, the metallic taste in the mouth (mine just started today), the fatigue? Do they go away before you start your next round of chemo or do they just hang around until well after all chemo is over? Thanks a bunch. Marilynn

Comments

• hi Marilyn, well the good news is the side effects don't last forever! I had 4 rounds of AC(Adriamycin/Cytoxan) and 4 rounds of Taxol. The AC was worse-vomitting was only the first day, then I was dizzy, nausaus(sp?), could only eat bananas and applesauce for the next 3 days. I was tired and jittery for another 5 days or so. The taxol was not as bad though. With that, I was really tired and had bone pain in my lower back, ankles, and hands for a few days and then it went away pretty much. I found that I was a bit tired in general during my taxol treatments but was still able to go to work etc...I would say that within a couple of months after all chemo ended I was starting to get my old energy level back. Please know that throughout chemo you can function and do the things you want. It is not fun but it is doable. Drink a lot of fluids, get plenty of rest, and try and eat enough. You can do it. Good luck, tc Eileen
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I was out on speaking engagements the month after chemo was over...

I still, to this day, believe that the large amounts of water I consumed made the difference. To this day, 2 years after chemo, I have no neuropathy or anything other than the damage to my heart from the Adriamycin...and that is minimal. But, each person is different, so other than the water, my best advice is take VERY good care of yourself...nap when you need to...eat whatever tastes good (even if it is ice cream with bananas and chocolate sauce..lol!!). I was, with each round, pretty well thru it within a week after infusion...

Remember, this is temporary...your life is waiting for you beyond this moment!

Hugs, Kathi
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Hello Marilyn, Let see now for me the metallic taste lasted till all treatment was done which is why I used the plastic utensils the whole time. The bone pain was ususally the day of treatment and about 3 -5 days after. The fatigue is another animal all it's own. Mine got worse as the treatments went on. This last time I only had to have 4 sessions of chemo so I was pretty much back to my normal energy level roughly 3 months latter. Even though you are tired you should still try to get out. I always made it a must to go somewhere on the weekends for a day out. Not on the week I had had chemo of course. Just a ride to the ocean to watch the waves, out to a movie or just a drive to the mountains. It always helped to refresh me. My prayers are with you! Many hugs!!!! Rena
  • For me, I am definitely back up and running a week after treatment. My metalic taste was only bad with the first chemo and lasted a week. I do treatments every other week, and my no treatment weeks are almost like normal. Today, one day before my next infusion, I feel just like the old Joyce (minus hair). I do not anticipate being overly incapacitated for months after my chemos, just bald. (As you can see, I really hate the hair loss).
    Of all the side effects, I would say the bone pain lasted the longest (with Taxol) and that was at least a week till it went away last time.
    You can see each of us writes something a little different. I hope you are feeling better as you read this from a day ago.
    Ask your onc to be sure, but mine told me to take Tylenol, and if things got really bad with the bone pain a stronger pain med (which I have left over from the mas). And drinking water is so important. Not only is it good for dealing with side effects, it makes getting the IV easier for the nurses.
    If you think you have to be brave and never complain, you are wrong. Unless it helps you get through things not to wallow in them. But if you feel a little need to list your symptoms and complain - do it! We have all been there. I am convinced while going through this experience that there is just so much happening at once you need to open the gates and get as much out as possible from time to time. Or cry, or laugh, or curse. You can write me privately or vent here, of course. I will say this. The sisters who have gone before us, and respond on this board, are incredible! They help so much! But sometimes you might feel like everyone is so brave, and fought so strongly that a complaint is sissy. Not so! I am sure everyone will agree...there are days when you just gotta feel sorry for yourself for a while. It is because you love yourself, like commiserating with a friend that is you. So let loose if you need to.
    Just like AA. Hello, My name is Joyce and sometimes I cry.
    Sometimes, however, I feel just fine!
    best wishes,
    love,
    Joyce
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Gee Marilyn I don't know if I can remember. It's been almost a year since my last chemo. I had mine every 3 weeks and I think I was pretty good the week before my next tx for 2 rounds anyway. I didn't want to do the 3rd, just felt really bad....depressed or something. But they did it anyway. I think that it depends on how often they give it to you. I had read that less chemo more frequently is the way to go to lessen sideeffects. I would have wanted that. I also hear it is more effective.

For me I think the bone pain diminished over the 3 week period but I can still feel a buzz in my shins. But it doesn't bother me anymore. But then again I had a really bad rx to the taxotere. I don't remember a metallic taste and well the fatigue, I am still dealing with it. It comes and goes and p%%$$#$es me off!!!

Try and drink lots of water, I tried but it turned my stomach so I had to force it down. It was quite some time till I could drink water again. Weird uh?

Hope this has helped Marilyn, soon it will be over.
    Big hug
    jan
  • loisbarrie
    loisbarrie Member Posts: 12
    Options
    side effects
    I did not have the metallic taste, though I was aware of that possibility. Bone pain was awful for me. I was a hospice nurse when I got my own diagnosis, and was surprised when the onc put me on vicodin for bone pain. I might as well have taken jello water. I made several trips to the ER out of my mind in pain. There is no need for that! My onc expected pain, but she had no plan or protocol in place. So, I faxed her my hospice pain protocol or treatment that I used for my own patients. I took it with me to the ER. They were nervous about giving opiates. But, opiates and bone pain are short term, so I pushed for it. I ended up with dilaudid 2mg orally every 4-6 hours as needed....and it worked great. I slept a little more often...but hey, that was doable. Dilaudid 2mg is about the same as morphine 20 mg.
    So, once we had a good plan in place....it was very doable. I had some neuropathy and used neurontin for that. That had a lingering effect, and I still have a little of that...but it is not bad. I'm ok with that aspect.
    Just keep going to your doc with questions and suggestions. I think they are often open to learning new things, too.
  • Stormy8281
    Stormy8281 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Duration of Side Effects
    Hi, Marilynn,

I had the metallic taste in the first round of chemo (A/C). The second round (Taxol), which I had every week for twelve weeks, caused terrible bone pain. After treatment, and at the first follow-up appointment with my oncologist, made me so angry. I told her that I still had terrible pain in my legs, feet, and hands/fingers. She told me that if the pain didn't go away in the next two weeks, I could have fibromyalgia. I was livid, so I made an appt with my primary doctor, and she called another onc for me. That evening, my former dr called me (after my primary dr called her). She told me not to let anyone tell me that I wouldn't have pain so soon after completing chemo treatments. She said that the pain could last as long as six months. Fortunately, most of the pain is gone. Occasionally, I do have pain in my feet, but not as bad. The 'buzzing' sensation in my fingers and toes are still there. I am still experiencing a lot of fatigue. BUT.....one positive thing about my fatigue, I can go to my room and relax away from the rest of the world.

I have now completed 17 out of 34 treatments of radiation. It's been a long road, but finally (with your helpful support) I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Marilynn, while I was going through the scariest part of treatments, you were my rock. I am so happy to be able to give you some of my experience.

How did your radiation treatment go? How many treatments? How did you treat the burns (mine are just starting). I have been using Aquaphor, and today my nurse gave me samples of Lidacaine.

My daughter finally called me after giving birth to my first granddaughter. Although we haven't talked about the months she put me off completely, I can tell by our conversations that she regrets it. I'm still leery about our relationship, because the hurt was so strong. I haven't gotten to the point of forgiving her. The one positive of that time, I was able to put on the back burner what I was dealing with with cancer treatments. I have finally learned that with every bump in the road, there are smooth trips.

I think of you often, and please know that you are still in my prayers.

Lots of hugs,

Gale