Options
Cindy54
Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello Everyone. I am new to this board. Spent much time on the ovarian board when my Mom was going through things. Now I guess it's my turn. My story is not as much sad as it is about hope. I had never had a mammogram in my entire life..I am 53. It just seemed that between working and being the family caregiver there was not much time left to do much of anything else. This past October, one of our local hospitals held a 24 hour mammomarathon. I went at 1:30 in the morning. Most of the ladies at my workplace described in tortured detail how much it was going to hurt. Well it hurt a little...for five minutes. A few days went by and I got the call that it did not look right. Well two more mammo's, a sonogram, and a biopsy confirmed things. Breast cancer. I have already had the lumpectomy. And soon I will have my CT and tattoo, then start 7 weeks of radiation....five days a week, 35 treatments. It was two different types of early stage 1, and my prognosis is good. The doctors feel that it has been caught in time. I will have to be on a pill for 5 years, but that is a small price to pay. Now I tell those same ladies at work .... would you rather have 5 minutes of pain or a lifetime away from your loved ones. I am blessed to be here in so many ways. I have great doctors and great fiends. I am the last of my family living so I call myself a survivor of sorts. Yes, I know that there is always a chance that the beast could revisit me. But I cannot live that way..there is so much out in the world that is wonderful yet. So much to be lived. To all of you here who have much harder fights than mine, I am sending you a hug. Cindy

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the good attitude, sometimes that is hard to pull off. It sounds like they caught your's early and that is wonderful! I love your uplifting spirit, it will carry you far. I agree there is much life left to live after cancer. I do as much of it as joyously and as often as possible. Welcome Cindy, and hugs right back at ya!
    Rena
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our board...if that's the right thing to say to a group we wish no one had a reason to join. Anyway, I second the sentiments...congrats on the positive attitude. You definitely do have a lot to live for. Take each day as it comes and live as well as you can for as long as you can.

seof
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Welcome Cindy, sorry to see you've joined our club but thrilled that you caught it early. I was 52 when I felt my lump and then went for my first mammogram. Never thought it could happen to me. Guess I learned! Congrats on your wonderful attitude, I myself failed Cancer 101 and had to redo it :)

The gals here are wonderful and if you ever have any problems there is always someone around that has been down the same road to help you out.

Best of luck with your treatment.
    jan
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Cindy,
    Thank you so much for sharing. Cancer has been in my family for a long time so at the age of 32, I have had mammograms yearly. At the age of 50, January 07, I was called back in and discovered after all the scans and biopsy that I had cancer in one side and questionable in the other. I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. Even though it was devasting news, I could not be happier. I've had the rounds of chemo and reconstruction and may I say, my new "girls" look fantastic. Attitude is major important. It is a roller coaster ride so we will be here think and thin. There is a chat in Room 2 on Tuesday, Ga time 9PM.
  • Welcome Cindy. It sounds like your cancer was caught very early esp. because it sounds like you are not having chemo. You have a great attitude. Hang in there, radiation is not bad. Check out the chat rooms---there a lot of support there. Take care. Eileen
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Sorry we must 'meet' like this!

I am so happy to hear that it was caught early!!!! And your attitude is fantastic!!!

The biggest trouble I had with radiation was the skin burns. I am allergic to aloe vera (me and one other person on the PLANET..lol), but have gotten plenty of feedback that says this works GREAT....use it on the red spots after the treatment. I had to find something else, and found Aquaphor, applied right after treatment, really cut down the redness. The trick is to catch it early...when it looks like you have been in the sun a bit too long...

Hugs, Kathi
  • jackiemanz
    jackiemanz Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Welcome Cindy. It sounds like you have a great attitude to beat this disease. Just keep it up.

Jackie
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Options

Welcome Cindy. It sounds like you have a great attitude to beat this disease. Just keep it up.

Jackie

Thanks to everyone. You have made me feel most welcome. This week I am smiling because I now have some bright new teeth! Prior to getting radiation it was recommended to me to try and get my teeth fixed as they were pretty bad. So I did. Don't want any risk of infection. Got them yanked on Friday morning and replaced with plates. Today went for my followup and all is well. My mouth just needs to heal. But I'll tell you what...I would walk on my ears to just be able to eat a hamburger. I'm not good with the chewing just yet. Next week, Tuesday, I go for the Ct scan and my official tattoo. Let's get this started!! Cindy