Big Day

Options
barbc
barbc Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, All! Yesterday was a huge milestone for me - I got my port removed! Funny thing is that this turned out to be the biggest emotional lift yet; bigger even than the clean biopsy in October and the clear PET in December. I finished treatment in Sept, and since then have really been struggling with the fear of recurrance thing. But yesterday, for the first time, I had the feeling that this could actually be over.
Of course, my doctors will continue to follow me closely, but now I may actually believe them when they say not to worry. Leading up to the port removal yesterday, I really did not expect it to be that big a deal. But when they wheeled me into the procedure room (the same room, same doctor and same tech team as when they put the port in), I felt like I had come full circle. Wow; what a rush! Normally, I am more of a lurker than a poster, but I just had to share this news. It has meant so much to me when others have shared their news, and I really appreciate the support. Thanks, everyone! Barb

Comments

• tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Options
    Congratulations, Barb.

I've become somewhat of a lurker myself. But, I had to post this: I had my port removed yesterday as well. And my name is Barb ( M.)

I finished up my treatments some time ago. Actually, come June, it will be 4 years from my original surgery.

Not sure why I waited so long. I know I wanted to reach that 3 year mark. Then, I guess I just didn't find the right time to do it.

So, go celebrate!!!! Enjoy life!!!! And, hey, do another happy naked dance!

Barb (M)
  • NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both Barb's!!! I love hearing good news. :-)
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for you! BELIEVE that it really is over and move on with your life. My husband finished his treatments about 8 months ago. I understand the fear of recurrance---but we can't let that keep us from living. It is over! Thanks for sharing---have a great weekend!

Faith
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Barb Congrats ! God Bless and keep the faith
    Diane
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    That is a big day! Congrats to both Barbs.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Barb,
    That's great news to hear. It sure does feel good, doesn't it?

I have to tell you that I cried waiting to have mine taken out, too.

Best of luck to you and enjoy everything!
    Claudia
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hi Barb,
    You are so right about the emotional lift. I, too, was almost manic when the port was removed; also more elated than when NED arrived. It's wierd, but it is wonderful. Enjoy life.
    Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great news!! I'm really looking forward to this day myself. I really hate this thing in my chest but thankful for the use of it. I ended my treatments end of aug. My Dr wants 2 clean scans so I'm waiting for March 17th for my 2nd CT scan. I'm a bit nervous. I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop . Thanks for your post it made my day.

Michelle
  • dn220
    dn220 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on such a big milestone and I hope it continues to be that way.
    Deb