arm pain during chemo

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After my third a/c chemo I started feeling a pain in the arm I get my chemo in. and the pain has stayed about the same for a month. It seems to be just above the elbow and hurts when I extend my arm all the way and doesn't always hurt when in other positions. Of course I went into a funk thinking it was c in my bones. Anyone else get a pain in their chemo arm? Just when I was feeling a little more upbeat this silliness came along. I did tell my doctor but she didn't seem to take it seriously. Still....you know how it is...I worry. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Hi Joyce,

I don't know if you had a port put in, but if you didn't it could be damage from the adriamycin. The stuff is caustic and my vein is hard as rock now. This can happen if they put it in too fast. My nurse took forever putting it in but it damaged my vein anyway. I noticed it by reaching for items and feeling it pull in my arm. No one had mentioned that this could happen. Other than that I get pain in both of my arms now. Up around the shoulders and in the funny bone of my chemo arm.

Hope this helps
    jan
  • Hi Joyce,

I don't know if you had a port put in, but if you didn't it could be damage from the adriamycin. The stuff is caustic and my vein is hard as rock now. This can happen if they put it in too fast. My nurse took forever putting it in but it damaged my vein anyway. I noticed it by reaching for items and feeling it pull in my arm. No one had mentioned that this could happen. Other than that I get pain in both of my arms now. Up around the shoulders and in the funny bone of my chemo arm.

Hope this helps
    jan

Yes! That is just when I feel it - when reaching for things. I sure do love this discussion board and kind people like you who respond. I feel alot better. THanks and hope your aches and pains go away soon!
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Joyce:
    I had a port put in for the chemo because my oncologist said it would be a good thing because the adryomicin kills the veins, and I still felt pain in my arm where the port was. I have now ended my chemo sessions and the pain is diminishing every day. Now I only feel a slight pull every now and then depending on the position my arm is in. Keep the strength. We are all in this together. Lili
  • Hi Joyce:
    I had a port put in for the chemo because my oncologist said it would be a good thing because the adryomicin kills the veins, and I still felt pain in my arm where the port was. I have now ended my chemo sessions and the pain is diminishing every day. Now I only feel a slight pull every now and then depending on the position my arm is in. Keep the strength. We are all in this together. Lili

THanks for replying. I am glad to hear the pain is going away a little every day. Things that get better every day sure beat the opposite! I have finish my adriamycin so I guess that's that. Now I will join you in getting better. Smiles.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Hi Joyce, it's unfortunate that your doc didn't take your complaints seriously because if the vein hardens like mine, they won't be able to take blood from it. You might be out of arms at that point. (ha ha) Anyways, they take blood from my hand.

Did you ask the chemo nurse about this?? She may suggest putting heat on the arm for short periods of time which may help you. Best check with her.

You will develop new veins to compensate but that can take a long time according to my onc.

Good luck to you and I hope you educate your doc. These strange things that happen to us that no one told us about can be very scary. And you don't need anymore scary.
    hug
    jan
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Joycelouise, I've enjoyed chatting with you on Chat. I suggest asking your oncologist and nurses. I did not have that problem but thinking of you. Angela
  • Joycelouise, I've enjoyed chatting with you on Chat. I suggest asking your oncologist and nurses. I did not have that problem but thinking of you. Angela

I also have enjoyed our contact in chat! Thanks for responding to my question, even if just to say you care! That is priceless.
  • Kitty3571
    Kitty3571 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I can only tell you that I also had pain during chemo, my doctors also didn't take it too seriously - I did have a port on the opposite side but the arm that ached was on the same side as my lumpectomy and I was told that it can remain tender for quite some time because of the surgery, especially in the arm pit area where they removed 5 nodes - My 2 year anniversary is Feb 13th and I still have problems from time to time. Pain in the upper arm, to the elbow - dull aches, numbing and tingling at times - when I reach for things and sometimes just doing nothing at all. Pains grow into same side shoulder - I've been off treatments now for 6 months so I'm not sure if I will ever feel "normal" again - Also having pains in same side rib area, had xrays and recently this week, a bone scan - nothing shows up but I know the pain is real - Since my dx I feel like a hypochondriac/maniac - get nervous with every little symptom/pain - I try not to think that way but it's very difficult at times. I'm Her2 positive so my chances of reoccurence are high - Feel like I'm just waiting - Don't want to mis-diagnosed if the beast comes back!
    Thanks for listening - Good luck with your remaining treatments and I hope that your pain subsides soon. Kitty