lost

Options
lornie
lornie Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm 19 years old and I when I come home from college I see my father withering away. A year back he was diagnosed with colon cancer and underwent chemotherapy. We thought the worst was over when he went into remission. However, just this Christmas the cancer metastasized to the bile duct and duodenum. He's now on a feeding tube and only weighs 120 pounds. The man who used to wake up with the dawn can't get out of bed. He's too weak to do chemo and surgery is not an option. The doctor says in his 25 years of work he has never seen anything like it. Has anyone else heard of similar stories? I’ve lost most hope and need some kind of reassurance that everything will be okay.
I am hoping for a miracle. Please pray for my family. I wish everyone else the best of luck and my thoughts are with you.

Comments

• jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am so sad you are going through this. I'm sure your dad is an awesome guy and deserves none of this.

Are you there with your dad? It might be time to take a break from school to be with him now.

I have stage 4 colon cancer (and i'm not even 40 yet) and have a daughter who is 18 and away at school and I would want her around for support and just be with me and our family. Do you have a support system of friends and/or family?

Prayers from my family to yours are coming your way ASAP!!!

Just A Thought...

Cancer is so limited
    It cannot cripple love
    It cannot shatter hope
    It cannot erode faith
    It cannot eat away peace
    It cannot destroy confidence
    It cannot kill friendship
    It cannot shut out memories
    It cannot silence courage
    It cannot invade the soul
    It cannot reduce eternal life
    It cannot quench the spirit
    It cannot lesson the power of the resurrection

Why must I bear this pain? I cannot tell, I only know my Lord does all things well, and so I trust in God my all in all. For He will bring me through what ever befalls. Our greatest enemy is not disease but despair.
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for what you are seeing your dad go through. It is always so difficult to watch as your parents or any other loved one battles this disease. Has your dad had a second opinion? Just wondering if there may be other options available that have not been offered.

I am praying for your family. Try to stay positive and have faith. My thoughts are with you.

Faith
  • Fergus2007
    Fergus2007 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Is he on steroids to get his appetite back?
    Even at this stage I think nutrition and exercisers (along with emotional support) might restore his spirit and strength.
    My father lost 40 lbs in 4 weeks and gained 25 lbs back (so far) being on steroids. We stuff him with nutritions foods every couple of hours. At times it was nothing more then cooked oats with fruit put into the blender (so he would drink it).
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry your dad & your family is going through this. Definitely seek a second opinion, definitely encourage your Dad and definitely keep trying different nutrition options. Miracles happen. God Bless.
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My dear I am so soorry for this mountain in your path. My baby girl is just 20 and I at 47 have stage IV CC that has metastesized. God gives us memories so we can alwyas remember the happy and good times. It sounds lke your dad certainly made a few of them for you. The way i see it, is never ever give up and always beleive the tomorrow may be the turning point for the cure. I wish you and your dad peace child.
    Mark.
  • changing
    changing Member Posts: 134
    Options
    So sorry for you all:( Praying God's will whatever the outcome to bring and comfort for all of you.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Oh dearheart....everything will be ok, just give a deep breath. Know that your dad REALLY appreciates you being there...my daughter was during my treatment (I lost 35 pounds and looked awful, poor thing even had to re-mark my radiation guide points on my behind!).

Hope is a wonderful thing...share it with your dad. Standing by as a caregiver is the hardest, I have been that, too...

Talk to your dad about memories, cheerful stuff. Bring him a funny movie you both can watch. Whatever the outcome, these are times to be with each other and show your love.

Miracles happen every day. I was told I had 6 months to live, 3 years ago.

Hugs, Kathi
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your dad is very proud of the compassionate son he has raised. If there are other caregivers there to help your dad, don't drop out of school! If at all possible, switch to one closer to your home so that you can help out. The job of being a caregiver is so overwhelming sometimes, and I appreciate my husband very much. I don't know where you live, but get a second opinion from a large hospital.
    Your dad may just be going through some tough times and eventually be ok. I'll be praying for him.
    Jo Ann
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Keeping you and your family in my prayers.
    Mary Kay