How soon after chemo....

kris43
kris43 Member Posts: 275
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi everyone. Today is the one month anniversary since my last treatment. What I want to know is how long did it take you to feel as if you were getting back to normal.

I went back to work on Jan 2nd after being off for 6 months and find myself just tired - nights & weekends I can just fall asleep at a drop of the hat. I am cold all the time yet my underarms are constantly sweating. I am still getting puffy in my hands & legs and I've been trying to get back in to my work out routine and just can't seem to do it like before.

Now I realize my body has been through a lot - and I've been to the doctor (last week) and some of my blood work is low, but not low enough for a transfusion, so they just started me on some iron. But other then that they can't give me a reason as to why these symptoms are hanging on and I'm frustrated. And sometimes scared. I mean, I didn't know I had ovarian cancer in the first place so now I have all these things going on and nobody seems to be all that concerned.

So do I just let it go and watch it like they say (I go in for a recheck 2-18) or pursue it?

Just looking for some guidance from the experts. Thanks!!

Kris

Comments

• Hi Kris!!
    I just had my 2 month anniversary on the 24th since my last treatment, im still not feeling back to normal. my blood is still low, but im also on iron for that, and im extremely tired all the time, its hard for me to get out of bed. im also cold all the time but my under arms are extremely sweaty. My doctors told me that i would have these symptoms for a while but eventually they would go away and there was nothing to worry about. If you are scared just keep getting tests done. I wish i was more of help but i myself am not out of the rut that you are in. Im often scared, but my doctors are always reassuring me that its completely normal. everyone is different. I aggree very much its extremely frustrating but staying on top of it and getting tests done always keeps me reassured that the doctors are right and its normal. Your in my thoughts and prayers please email me and let me know what u decide to do or what happens!
    Love
    ~*JennaRose*~
  • Steph65723
    Steph65723 Member Posts: 12
    Hey Kris!!!!! First of all, CONGRATS on your one month anniversary. My name is Steph. I'm a survivor of two years. My last chemo treatment was the end of Nov. 2006.

The normal before cancer is not necessarily the normal after cancer. That was something that took me a little while to learn.

I'm usually cold during the day, but don't cover up at night because I'm hot.

Even though my counts were coming back normal, it still took my immune system 9 months to recover from the abuse it experienced.

I worried about everything. I was extremely worried about catching something and ending up in the hospital. More than once, I was told that I was being a little to sensitive. However, by being that sensitive, I did catch a few colds and things before they got bad enough to even need high dose medications.

So, my best advice is to listen to your body. It will tell you what you need to know. If you feel something should be pursued, then do it. Even if nothing comes of it, at least you will have peace of mind.

Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Email me and let me know what happens.

Steph
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Hi Kris, its funny we were just talking about this at our support group. Most people said the 3month mark they could notice a difference. Others said it was closer to a year. I think when I have taken a 3month break from chemo I am just starting to feel like a human being again. Its like I am not as tired or quite as cold.

So hang in there, you've made it through the worst of it now. Congratulations on being done with chemo.

Hugs n Prayers Bonnie
  • BonnieR
    Hi Kris, its funny we were just talking about this at our support group. Most people said the 3month mark they could notice a difference. Others said it was closer to a year. I think when I have taken a 3month break from chemo I am just starting to feel like a human being again. Its like I am not as tired or quite as cold.

So hang in there, you've made it through the worst of it now. Congratulations on being done with chemo.

Hugs n Prayers Bonnie
  • BonnieR
    not sure how it posted twice. sorry
  • aandj
    aandj Member Posts: 33
    BonnieR said:

not sure how it posted twice. sorry

Hi there Kris
    It's interesting to hear from people who are at the end of their chemo. I was recently diagnosed, operated on etc, and am about to go for my 3rd dose this week. I am still working full time, although in the week of my chemo I take a couple of days off. I am going to see if I can manage to continue this way until the end, but will have to take it as it comes. I am only on Carbo, so side effects are not too hectic. In my mind I see myself being back to "almost normal" in June. It will more than likely be a different story in reality!
    I hope you start feeling stonger sooner.
    Take care
    Angela
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Congrats, Kris! Every day is reason to celebrate. And yes, it will definitely take time for your body to get back to what will be 'normal' for you.

I always thought it was just me that was cold most of the time, but I've read it in nearly every post on this subject. As far as iron, look into 'dessicated liver' supplements instead if you can. There are three types of 'iron' and some can cause constipation and other problems. If you want a suggestion on the liver supplement, let me know - they work much better.

Since the chemo drugs never really leave your body completely, it will take a long time for things to taper off. To this day I do not have taste buds to speak of. I really had a rough time with mouth/tongue/gum issues both the first and second times (2000 and 2006). But, it's something I've just become accustomed to. My neuropathy went away, I believe with the help of L-Glutamine and B-6. Of course, my hair came back in several months. My hands are still a bit shakey, though, even from the episode in 2000. My visiion and hearing got better after a while. I was able to go back to my eyeglasses, whereas my vision changed during chemo and it was hard to use them.

The weight issue I have found is a much longer process and requires 'extra' work. I did get the leg swelling, and the only thing that worked for me was to get back to exercise and rev up my good eating habits. DON'T FORGET BROCCOLI for lots of reasons. It's one of the best veges you can have. Drink lots of good fluids - ironically, it helps to get rid of excess fluid. All in all, you're right - your body has been through a lot, so don't expect too much too quickly. Continue to get good rest, keep up your immune system, and just take one day at a time. As for exercise, think resistive training. It boosts testosterone, which is good for females, builds muscle which is good in preventing bone loss also, especially now that we are low in estrogen.

Take care. Visit us often. And enjoy the moments!

Luv & Hugs,
    Monika
  • curlyq1971
    curlyq1971 Member Posts: 56
    Hi Kris,
    Congrats on your "1" Month Anniversary!!!! My name is Leslie and I am a 2 1/2 year survivor of OvaCa..My last chemo treatment was January of 2006....Just wanted to let you know that my doctor told me that it could take up to a year to feel "NORMAL" again...after treatment was over I experienced the tingling in my fingers from the taxol..and it took a few months before that went away...my blood counts bounced back fairly quickly tho' so I don't remember being tired for very long...the only other thing I suffer from as of right now is "Chemo Brain"!!

It will take some time to get back to "NORMAL", whatever normal is...you will find after some time it will not be the most present thing on your mind..I think about reoccurence less and less, the only time I really start to worry is when it is time to have another CA125...I would like to recomend a very good book that I read after I was done with treatment, it is called "Cancervive"...it helped me alot and I think I read the book in one day!

I agree with Steph, listen to your body and if you feel something isn't right then you have every right to pursue it!!

I hope and pray that start feeling stronger with each and every day, and I am sending lots of "Hugs" your way.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Take Care,
    Leslie
  • curlee8661
    curlee8661 Member Posts: 56
    Hi Kris,

It's been 5 months for me since my last chemo, and I still have days when I hardly have any energy. The other day, I wore myself out just by vaccuming the house. So, as impressed as I am with Angela for being able to work right through chemo (can't imagine doing that), please don't think that there's anything wrong with you for still feeling weak at this point! Everyone is different. It took me about 2 months to feel relatively back to normal. I think the fact that my hair was starting to grow back helped a lot.(LOL) However, since I had another surgery at that time, followed by depression, I had a bit of a relapse for another 2-3 weeks. I only returned to work 2 weeks ago. My job is a physically demanding one, so I wasn't sure if I was ready, but working out a little more every day to get my strength back helped. After the first week of work (being extra tired and having a sore back) it got better.

With the treatments behind you, it's not uncommon to experience stress, anxiety, and depression at this point, which you could get meds for. If you're feeling emotionally down, that will effect your energy level too. The sweating and feeling cold is most likely due to hormonal changes, which should settle down after a while. For me, as the hot flashes are tapering off I feel cold more and more, but I'll take cold over hot any day!!! I heard that it can take up to a year to recover from surgery alone, not to mention the added stress on your body from the chemo. Like you said, your body has gone through a lot, and it takes time to get your stamina back. In the mean time, try not to do more than you feel up to, and rest whenever you feel the need! Go easy on yourself! Try not to worry too much about things you have no control over, and remember to eat healthy!!!

~Marianna~
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Kris,
    I agree with what everyone has written to you...some feel better after 3 months others it seems to take alot longer. This is one of those subjects that you can get a million different answers about....we are all different but yet the same!!! Give yourself some time..you have just fought the fight of a lifetime..be gentle to yourself, and do things little by lttle. Good luck...I wish that all those terrible side effects disappear soon...(((hugz))~~Joanne
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator