Recurrent Obstructions

Options
davidsonxx
davidsonxx Member Posts: 134
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have had 3 small bowel obstructions in the last 2 weeks. I also had one last March but nothing in between. All of the obstructions have cleared in less than a day. My surgeon would like to go in and have a look around but is leaving the decision up to me (for now). Has any one else had to deal with this type of problem? Did you have surgery? How did it turn out?

Comments

• apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I have no answers to your question, but I have a question for you. If the obstruction cleared in a day, how did you know you had one? Just curious as I know that obstructions can be a problem and do not want to overlook something. Also, what is your dx? Thanks.
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've had quite a few of them as well a few of them resulting in staying in the hosptial. I think my doctor is over protective. We haven't discussed surgery and I'm not sure I would want that. The obstructions as I'm told is because of scare tissue. If you are male you now know what labor feels like I swear it reminds me so much of it. Lots of luck and if you decide to get the surgery please keep me posted.
  • davidsonxx
    Options
    apache4 said:

Sorry, I have no answers to your question, but I have a question for you. If the obstruction cleared in a day, how did you know you had one? Just curious as I know that obstructions can be a problem and do not want to overlook something. Also, what is your dx? Thanks.

I had all the typical symptoms of an obstruction; severe abdominal pain, bloating, pressure, nausea and vomiting. In the ER the obstruction was confirmed by an x-ray. The x-ray showed that a section of the small intestine was dilated. Once you have had an obstruction it's pretty easy to recognize the symptoms.

If the obstruction doesn't clear quickly you have to have surgery to clear it.
  • neon356
    neon356 Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I went thru 4 years of obstructions, and had surgery twice to correct the problem. The first time I had surgery for it the surgeon fixed the adhesions, but there was little relief. The second time he removed a few sections of colon that were damaged by the radiation treatments. There were two sections each about 6 inches long that had no peristalsis, and that turned out to be the problem. My surgeon is very conservative, and really didn't want to remove more intestine than was necessary. He was afraid that taking out too much would really affect my ability to absorb certain vitamins, and that I would have to take shots fot the rest of my life. He also felt that I could have permanent diarrhea, and you can imagine what that might be like dealing with.He also siad that in his experience sometimes the surgery to correct adhesions could lead to new adhesions from the surgery to relieve the adhesions. A real catch-22, isn't it? To make a long story short, since the second procedure I've been blockage free for the past 10 years now, and I don't need shots, and my bowels are pretty normal. I don't know when you had your first surgery for the cancer, your body may still be in the healing stage and the blockages will go away, the adhesions will tear on their own as you regain activity and exercise. If it really begins to severely hamper your quality of life you should consider having more surgery.
    Carl
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Grand total, I have had 8 obstructions. Only one, the first one that was in the small bowel, required surgery....it was about 6 months after my resection. The others, I have taught myself what helps to clear them....One, ramp WAY UP my water, and walk ALOT (Both of these things I had to do in the hospital before my surgery. This is where I learned them, sadly, that one time, it didn't help). Two, whenever I start to cramp, I bear down like I'm at the pushing stage of childbirth (not like a bowel movement, tho). AND I take pain meds early...

I have not had one for months now, and I am almost 3 years out from my resection...altho I make sure I drink plenty of fluids each day to 'keep things moving'.

I'm sorry you must go thru this, too, dearheart...

Hugs, Kathi
  • davidsonxx
    Options
    apache4 said:

Sorry I forgot to add my dx info to my earlier post. I was stage II rectal cancer. Short course of high dose radiation then resection with temporary ileostomy 12/06. Chemo then reversal surgery 4/07.
  • davidsonxx
    Options
    neon356 said:

I went thru 4 years of obstructions, and had surgery twice to correct the problem. The first time I had surgery for it the surgeon fixed the adhesions, but there was little relief. The second time he removed a few sections of colon that were damaged by the radiation treatments. There were two sections each about 6 inches long that had no peristalsis, and that turned out to be the problem. My surgeon is very conservative, and really didn't want to remove more intestine than was necessary. He was afraid that taking out too much would really affect my ability to absorb certain vitamins, and that I would have to take shots fot the rest of my life. He also felt that I could have permanent diarrhea, and you can imagine what that might be like dealing with.He also siad that in his experience sometimes the surgery to correct adhesions could lead to new adhesions from the surgery to relieve the adhesions. A real catch-22, isn't it? To make a long story short, since the second procedure I've been blockage free for the past 10 years now, and I don't need shots, and my bowels are pretty normal. I don't know when you had your first surgery for the cancer, your body may still be in the healing stage and the blockages will go away, the adhesions will tear on their own as you regain activity and exercise. If it really begins to severely hamper your quality of life you should consider having more surgery.
    Carl

My surgeon also told me about the possibility of new adhesions from the surgery to fix the old ones. He also told me that he might have switch to an open procedure if he couldn't see around the existing adhesions. So far the obstructions haven't been a big enough problem for me to get past those possibilities. If I have another bout like this last one I am sure I will change my mind.
  • davidsonxx
    Options
    KathiM said:

Grand total, I have had 8 obstructions. Only one, the first one that was in the small bowel, required surgery....it was about 6 months after my resection. The others, I have taught myself what helps to clear them....One, ramp WAY UP my water, and walk ALOT (Both of these things I had to do in the hospital before my surgery. This is where I learned them, sadly, that one time, it didn't help). Two, whenever I start to cramp, I bear down like I'm at the pushing stage of childbirth (not like a bowel movement, tho). AND I take pain meds early...

I have not had one for months now, and I am almost 3 years out from my resection...altho I make sure I drink plenty of fluids each day to 'keep things moving'.

I'm sorry you must go thru this, too, dearheart...

Hugs, Kathi

Thanks for the tips. I used them when I had my ileostomy but for some reason forgot about them after the reversal. I guess I just wanted the whole thing to be behind me.

I do about 25% travel for my job and the thought of having an obstruction while out of town scares me. At home I know and trust the hospital and doctors. In a different city it would be a roll of the dice. It's not something I want to be faced with. Hopefully these tips will help me prevent that.
  • KierstenRx
    KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
    Options
    I HARE obstructions!!! I had one in July (2 weeks after finishing chemo). I have never felt pain like that. Anyway I did end up having surgery after spending 3 days in the hospital. Not fun at all. My surgeon said I had a lot of adhesions and one had kinked my small intestine. So far I have not had any other problems. However I tend to freak out a bit every time I feel an upper stomach area pain. If they clear in less than a day I would probably wait for surgery. Best of luck with your decision.

Kiersten
  • NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Although I haven't had the obstructions, prior to my whole colon cancer thing I always found exercise and lots of water always kept me "normal". I saw another post to this effect and I wholeheartedly agree. On a separate note, my sister-in-law always swore that just one McDonald's cheeseburger worked for her. Just thought I'd throw that in for a laugh!
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I have had many obstructions. During one of my surgeries the surgeon removed small intestine that looked like it had been radiated. He thought it might have somehow gone into the radiation field. I still had some obstructions after that. I think i finally have outgrown the obstructions. Knock on wood. They are so painful. I would only have surgery as a last resort.

Maureen