Question About IV Chemo (5-FU) vs. Xeloda

Options
marzz26
marzz26 Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,
I am now approaching the end of my 2nd two-week cycle of Xeloda. I seem to be getting the hand-foot syndrome pretty bad (though not to the extremes that I have read others get... at least not yet). My concern is how much worse it will become over the upcoming cycles and how bearable it will be. I am wondering whether it might be worth investigating if I can switch to 5-FU mid-stream in my treatment. From what I understand, the side effects from 5-FU would probably not be as painful or uncomfortable. My question is can I change mid-stream? Your replies are all greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Marc

Comments

• dn220
    dn220 Member Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have been on xeloda for 4 weeks now. They decreased it one time but that was from frequent bowel movements. I have not had any problems with my hands or feet but I started taking B6 before I started chemo and I have been using udderly smooth lotion by the tube fulls. That stuff is wonderful but if you already have the syndrome they will probably change it, but I hope you do better soon.
    Deb
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hello Marc,

Yes you can change anytime. I did.

I had taken Xeloda and Oxil for 3 or 4 treatments but couldn't handle the side effects so I was switched to the "pump" for the 5FU. I had an IV of Camptosar then had a pump that I wore home (that was 5FU) for 46 hours. This treatment was much better for me.

Not many side effects except the usual tiredness. Seems like after the pump came off, two days after I was really tired then I got over it (well..not as bad as those two days).

It wasn't to uncomfortable either. I didn't sleep real well because the needle is in your port so you don't want to turn over on the port but I much rather it be that way then taking the Xeloda.
    Can't remebmer the mgs of Xeloda I was taking but started out taking 5 pills in the morning and 5 at night for 14 days. This lasted for 3 or 4 treatments.

All the skin peeled from my hands and feet (on Xeloda) Doc didn't want me to get an infection.

Hope this helps and I hope you can get a treatment that is more comfortable for you.

Claudia

PS...I had 12 treatments all together and finished mid October. This past Dec, had my first colonoscopy (since i was Dx'd) and I'm NED!! (No Evidence of Disease).
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi,
    I was on Xeloda 12 weeks and didnt get hand foot until after I got done?? The convenience of Xeloda comes with a price. It or the radiation or both really worked on my bowels. So you have to decide and yes your onc will change you in the middle of the road if needed. I also think dosage has something to do with it. I took 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Good Luck and I always try and pray about decisions I have to make. God will give you the answer. Be still and listen.
    Robin
  • dolphinsfly
    dolphinsfly Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I will tell you what my Dr told me about Xeloda. It is still in a trial phase, so there is no conclusive evidence that it is as effective as IV Infusion 5-FU.She said she would not recommend using Xeloda until it is proven to be a treatment method.
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I took 15 weeks of xeloda and developed very bad hand and foot syndrome about the third week. It got progressively worst. I took 5 pills in the morning and five at night total 5000 mg which I think is the max. I'm pretty good size guy 601 220 so I needed the max. Obviously the more you can take the better but this is based on your cancer and your size. I wanted to avoid a pump because of the risk of infection and the other problems like clots. It was very very hard to make it through 15 weeks. Bag balm cream really helped and it is so thick it helps avoid infection. My hands and feet did bleed and I lost a couple of toenails and sensitivity to contact with anything to your feet and hands were very painful. I found letting my nails grow long allowed me to use the keyboard so I could work. I had to wear cloth gloves 24-7. Walking very difficult. Pain medication towards the last few weeks was useless. BUT I made it through and nearly two years later I am NED. I don't know what your max dosage is for you but it seems that lowering the dose would lower the max chances for success (NED). If you already have a port and can switch my onc told me one is as effective as the other. Further 5-fu has been around for quite awhile and xeloda is relatively new but very convenient. I know people who took 5-fu who had extreme nausea and diarrhea I had very little of that with xeloda so I could work. Whatever you chose stay with it until you complete treatment if you can. Interuption of treatment seems to give advantage to the little beasties floating around in us. Never give up!
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Xeloda since October I started out taking 3 at night and 3 in the morning. Got a few sores in the mouth so he dropped it down to 2 at night and 2 in the morning. I'm doing well with that and I don't have any systems of hand foot. I do want to say that at this time I'm NED however my onc has continued me on the Xeloda. I would take a pill over infusion any day. Lots to think about and good luck to you.
  • marzz26
    marzz26 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Thankfully, tomorrow is the end of this cycle. I am meeting with my onc this afternoon and will be discussing my options (and the difference in cost of the different options). FYI, I started out with 4 pills in the AM and 4 in the PM (4000 mgs/day). Last week my onc reduced it to 3 and 3 (3000 mgs/day). I've been using B6 since before it started and use Eucerin and Jojoba regularly. Besides for the hand-foot syndrome, which, by the way, is not causing any bleeding or cuts/blistering yet, I do get very tired in the evening. This could be from all of the other meds I am on, also.

I just hope that I make the right decision.

Have a wonderful day.

Marc
  • NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm on oxiplatin (sp?) and 5-FU with the pump. I have a port that delivers the 5-FU into my body over a 48 hour period. When I start radiation, the doctor is taking me off the oxiplatin and I'll just have the 5-FU for 6 weeks - 7 days a week. Annoying to have to carry around the pump and shower around it, but you do get used to it. My oncologist said that he thinks most of my nasty side effects are coming from the oxiplatin and not the 5-FU. From his experiences, the 5-FU is much easier to take - less side effects. For diahhrea I use immodium and it clears it right up.

I have no experience with Xeloda, but hope this helps a little in making your decisions. I've also found that the anti-nausea drug Emend has helped me tremendously with my nausea problems. Good luck on finding a treatment that works for you.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    One of my patient partners did just that. She was having alot of trouble with Xeloda. Her onc switched her to 5-FU IV...and, other than the inconvenience of the infusion day, she did much better. She is now thru it all, and is recovering nicely!

Hugs, Kathi