Off the Oxaliplatin!

Options
cheryltaco
cheryltaco Member Posts: 39
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Saw my onco last week. Apparently I did have some sort of reaction to the Oxy drug. He said it is rare to suffer from the kind of symptoms I had but not unheard of. He thinks it was either an allergic reaction ,or the dose could have been too high. Either way he's not taking any chances. So he pulled me off the drug, and has decided at least for now to keep me on the Xeloda only. I will have more testing done in March and depending on the results, he will decide what treatment if any will be needed or changed. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for your posts to my meltdown blog, and share the awesome news that I have been removed from that toxic treatment regime!

Comments

• cahalstead
    cahalstead Member Posts: 118
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was on oxy and it was horrible. My onc took me off of it after 5 treatments, I had real problems with my legs. I had mixed feelings about it, I know it's the newest and most successful drug as of today but the side effects are nasty. It felt so good to be off of it, I just pray I won't be sorry about it next month.

I feel so good now, so good to be off chemo!! There is life after chemo...
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That Oxy is a long term issue. I managed to have 16 treatments of it along with the 5-fu and Avastin. I am now 8 months from the last treatment and still have the neuropathy in my feet and my throat is so sore in this cold weather. My fingers are OK so that is something. After my NED and recurrance, I am now on Folfiri and CPT-11 and doing pretty well on it. One thing I have learned is to just accept the fact that I will be very tired on chemo week and not get upset with myself. I just sleep alot and do the necessities and remain thankful I am still in great shape the next week. Good luck to youl.
  • NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your doctor is working with you on this and didn't just dismiss your symptoms. I'm on Oxaliplatin but I've only had 2 treatments so far. My doctor checks with me each week to see what's going on as far as side effects. So far the neuropathy only affects my tongue and mouth a little bit, but I will be watching very closely for other adverse effects.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    How great that is! I was on Oxil for 3 or 4 treatments and had to go off because of the side effects. I was then put on Camptosar which was much better for me.

Glad to hear you won't have to go through that suffering.

Best of luck to you

Claudia
  • Starleen
    Starleen Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's nasty stuff. I'm toward the end of a 6 month Folfox, and my doctor nixed the Oxy last week. I can't feel my feet, fingers, my teeth feel weird, plus I was having the most caustic nasty bm's on earth. I'm starting to feel better. I'm also taking Neurontin, and it makes me feel weird and doesn't help too much. Now I worry...was it enough? Do you ever worry like that? Every time they decide to skip treatment I get scared.
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    You are right about the oxi being nasty stuff. I'm glad you were able to get off of it. I know it must help, but it does cause a lot of problems. After almost 2 years, I still have neuropathy in my feet, legs, and hands.
    Jo Ann
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Glad you were able to get off the oxal and feeling better. God Bless,
    Diane
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    This was the drug that gave me my two 'NDE''s. At one point, I was so afraid to sleep, because I felt that I needed to think to breathe....WHEW! I'm glad to hear that your onc is so close in touch with you...AND is willing to accept that his treatment regime needs to be changed for you!

Hugs, Kathi