Cancer Center Treatments of America Tulsa

Options
alta29
alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was accepted...and know I am scared.....I love my onco but I always wanted to go to Tulsa because they do work with the whole "BODY MIND SPIRIT" believe and of course diets....and even though they are out of network, they are going to charge as if I am in network. They are also paying for traveling expenses (milage or plane) its a 4 1/2 hour drive....but its scary to leave my onco here..I do like him a lot.....Any input ??? any of you have been to any of their treatment centers ???
Thanks and God bless

Comments

• jcavanaugh
    jcavanaugh Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Which center are you going to? I really want my dad to go to the center in Philadelphia but his local oncologist says it is not worth it. He was not very positive about cancer treatment centers of America. My parents who are both on medicare worry about the expense. Can you tell me more about your experience? I would really appreciate it.
  • alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Which center are you going to? I really want my dad to go to the center in Philadelphia but his local oncologist says it is not worth it. He was not very positive about cancer treatment centers of America. My parents who are both on medicare worry about the expense. Can you tell me more about your experience? I would really appreciate it.

I will be going to the one in Tulsa and even though they are out of network they will charge my insurance like I was in network... lieke I mentioned before, they even pay for travel expenses My thought is, that is not going to hurt.I can go back to my onco at any time...I just want to give myself and them a chance.
    Go to their website and ask them questions....I hace everything dome in 4 days....Good luck..
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hey! That is wonderful. I am excited for you. I hope you will share what all they tell you with us. I am particularly interested in what diet they put you on and what supplements they recommend. It sounds like a great place. There is a man here locally that I know of that went there for a different type of cancer. I know they put him on a strict diet in addition to his traditional treatments. He had excellent results.
    Best wishes,
    Susan H.

P.S. I am sure they will work with your local oncologist so that you can get chemo at home. It isn't like your local onc is totally out of the picture...When I went to MD Anderson for surgery, etc. I continued to get my chemo here. Now that I have been NED for a while, I don't have to go down to MD Anderson anymore. All of my followups at this point are here.
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi Alta I am glad that you were accepted,and as you said you could always go back to your oncologist,I'm sure as a cancer center they will have the latest in agressive treatments and on top of that they pay a lot of attention to suplements and diet,go there with a fighter attitute,and a lot of faith, I will be wating for great news from you, I will continuing praying for you.
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    A co-worker of mine with lung cancer went to the one in Philadelphia. They paid for her expenses there, etc. She loved the place at first but then found she couldn't get into seeing the "whole" team. They would be all booked up. I would be curious to what you think. Keep us posted. I thought about going to one - just to see what they would do about nutrition, etc.
    Best of luck,

Debbie
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I am sending big hugs to you, my dear. I personally don't know much about these centers, but must admit I agree with their philosopy.

Please keep us posted,

Hugs, kathi
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    sladich said:

A co-worker of mine with lung cancer went to the one in Philadelphia. They paid for her expenses there, etc. She loved the place at first but then found she couldn't get into seeing the "whole" team. They would be all booked up. I would be curious to what you think. Keep us posted. I thought about going to one - just to see what they would do about nutrition, etc.
    Best of luck,

Debbie

Great news and good luck!! Keep your family posted on everything you can. Keep the faith :)
  • dolphinsfly
    dolphinsfly Member Posts: 16
    Options

I called them regarding Medicare. Medicare will cover 80% of the bills. The other 20% is roughly $200,000. Out of pocket.
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Ahoy, Alta -

I am glad you are taking charge of your treatment! Leaving your onc is probably VERY scary! It's probably a feeling much like you had when you left home for the first time. Leaving a "known" and striking off into the unknown... Go forth and do great things! know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

- Sponge
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Alta. good luck. Cancer treatments centers is well known for mixing altedrnative and traditional methods. I considered them quite strongly before going to Mrexico. Please let me know how it is going.
    stay strong annd positive.
    Mark.