Lung Mets

Options
Monicaemilia
Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi guys: It has been three months since I have come back home and it has been wonderful as I have felt the first sense of normalcy since I was dx in November 2005. The chemo does cause fatigue, but for the most part is manageable. The good news is that the liver is in great shape with no sign of recurrence, but the nodules in the lungs that we were keeping an eye on are definitely cancer. The onc says that it is inoperable and when asked why he said because 'he would not put my body through another surgery'. Of course, for those of you who have known me over the last year, that answer is not good enough so I sent my results to Argentina for a second opinion and will be going to Roswell Park next week. You may ask, why Roswell Park? Well, here in Ontario, although Erbitux is an approved drug, it is not covered by insurance or the government, but if I go out of the country the government does cover it. Go figure.

Here's my question....I had a c-scan done two weeks ago that showed total stability to the lungs. I went to the doctor a week ago, and again yesterday, where they reviewed my lungs and say it sounds clear. I am currently on a chemo holiday break for another couple of weeks (a total of 6 weeks) partly because my body needed one, and partly because I have to wait till I go to Roswell Pk to be scheduled for additional chemo. Since last week I have been feeling a little out of breath and fatigued. I have been known to have panic attacks and I would hazard a guess that is partly my problem, but today I ran 10 steps to the phone and I was out of breath, which really concerned me. Rationally I'm thinking probably not too much changed in two weeks. And very little really changed in a year, even though there was some growth. What do you guys think? Am I losing my marbles? Any advice or experiences would be really appreciated. Monica

Dx Nov. 2005, Stage IV with mets to Liver. Liver resection July 30, 2007 in Argentina (they would not operate here in Canada).

Comments

• shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi Monica,
    All I know is that I had 2 nodules on my right lung for 8 months before I finally had them removed. They did not cause any breathing problems whatsoever. I would never have even known anything was wrong with me. I would lean towards saying that you are having some sort of anxiety reaction. I also don't think anything would have changed that much in 2 weeks. Best of luck on getting those mets out of your lung. How many are there? Where are they located? Sorry I don't remember. Anyway, let us know how it all goes!
    -Susan H.
  • alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think is normal...I do go tru this short of breat while in chemo....You know ??? The mind does play tricks on you...God bless and good luck in Argentina !
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    alta29 said:

I think is normal...I do go tru this short of breat while in chemo....You know ??? The mind does play tricks on you...God bless and good luck in Argentina !

Hi Monica, I recieved my treatment from Roswell Pk and love my Dr and the staff. Who is your Dr? I hope you find it to be a good experience for you like I did. Take Care and keep believing

Michelle
  • oneagleswings
    oneagleswings Member Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Hi Monica:
    You will love Rosewell Park..are you at the Amhurst Center? Where in Argentina did you get your resection and who was surgeon?..thanks..
    My husband had mets to lung and any time he got short of breath it was usually due to his blood counts (hemoglobin) being down..
    Best of luck
    Bev
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi Monica,

You may also want to ask about Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) done on your tumors in the lung. I just had this done and it beats surgery. I had 1/2 my left lung removed in 11/2004 and just had a recurrence in the same lung and did the RFA. Just a suggestion. You may want to ask the docs at Roswell Park. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Debbie
  • Monicaemilia
    Options

Hi Monica,
    All I know is that I had 2 nodules on my right lung for 8 months before I finally had them removed. They did not cause any breathing problems whatsoever. I would never have even known anything was wrong with me. I would lean towards saying that you are having some sort of anxiety reaction. I also don't think anything would have changed that much in 2 weeks. Best of luck on getting those mets out of your lung. How many are there? Where are they located? Sorry I don't remember. Anyway, let us know how it all goes!
    -Susan H.

Hi Susan: The nodules seem to be in three places, both lungs. Two at the top and one at the bottom. Apparently the middle seems to be clear. I am also looking at RFA as an option. Monica
  • Monicaemilia
    Options
    hoagiemom said:

Hi Monica, I recieved my treatment from Roswell Pk and love my Dr and the staff. Who is your Dr? I hope you find it to be a good experience for you like I did. Take Care and keep believing

Michelle

Hi Michelle: I believe it's a Dr. Ravi. I'll have to doublecheck to make sure. M.
  • Monicaemilia
    Options

Hi Monica:
    You will love Rosewell Park..are you at the Amhurst Center? Where in Argentina did you get your resection and who was surgeon?..thanks..
    My husband had mets to lung and any time he got short of breath it was usually due to his blood counts (hemoglobin) being down..
    Best of luck
    Bev

Hi Bev: Yes, I will be going to the Amhurst Centre. I had the surgery in Buenos Aires, with Dr. DiSantibanez. He is considered one of the three best liver surgeons in the world. I was really lucky. M.
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi Monica,

I just wanted you to know that weekly erbitux and biweekly irinotecan has been my husbands protocol since 11/05--that is right over 2 years now. A few breaks for a few reasons, but the chemo has kept him stable with slight progression. Brief history -diagnosed 10/04 - Stage IV - one month 5FU with irinotecan and leucovorin and avastin and 12/04 - colon resection and liver resection and ablation - then small rest and chemo till 8/05. Thought he was NED, but found reoccurence in abdomen and chest in 10/05. Now there is also numerous areas in lung...but, erbitux and irinotecan are still working. His breathing is a bit labored at times, but he exercises daily and keeps very busy. If you want more details or info -let me know. Keeping you in my prayers......
    Mary Kay
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Monica, I agree with the others but I also know that panic attacks can cause shortness of breath also (my mom had severe ones) No experience with Roswell Park, however the surgeon who did my hubby's liver resection trained there so even though he is practicing in Albany now, I give them a big thumbs up. I also heard they are great from others here who have gone there. Is rfa a possiblity for the lung mets? Roswell may surprise you. Please keep us posted. God Bless
    Diane