Friday Riddle

Options
nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Sitting on the school bus are seven boys and seven girls, with three vacant seats as shown. Another boy, Pablo, gets on the bus and sits in the first vacant sit, next to the window. He notices that there are the same number of girls in front of and behind him. If Pablo had sat in the next vacant seat he would have had the same number of boys in front of him, behind him and to his left, but more on his right-hand-side. What was the distriubtion of children before he got on?

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    "...with three vacant seats as shown..."

Is this a visual thing? If it's anything like the distribution of children on MY school bus when I was growing up the answer is:

- The goodie-goodies are sitting in the front

- The burn-outs are sitting in the back getting stoned (I'm sure it's medicinal MJ)

- and Carla Lawson is trying her best to sit on the bus driver's lap

- SB
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Options
    I don't think what I have here is right, but perhaps it's close. The bus looks like this (hope it's readable):
    _d GG_
    BG GG1
    B2B BBB
    _B3 GG_

where:d = driver
    _ = wheel housing (no room for a seat)
    G = seated girl
    B = seated boy
    1 = first vacant seat
    2 = second vacant seat
    3 = third vacant seat

There are two girls in front of the first vacant seat (next to a right window), and two girls behind it, so the first condition is satisfied. There is one boy in front of the second vacant seat, one boy behind, one boy to the left, and more than one to the right, so the second condition is satisfied. Not counting Pedro, there are seven boys and seven girls.
    But why are there only two seats just behind the driver, instead of three? I don't know.