Need Information

Options
paula57
paula57 Member Posts: 93
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I have been on taxol/carboplatin which was changed to taxol/cisplatin for 7 cycles for a recurrance. It's not working so my chemo is being changed to topecan. Any info on this chemo would be appreciated. I will stqart this chemo next week. Thanks, Paula

Comments

• BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Hi Paula, sorry to hear you have to do another chemo. I have been on topotecan and it wasn't one of my favorite, though most women say it is easy. I felt like I had the flu all the time and my hair slowly fell out. It did however knock my ca125 back down into the normal range and I know women who have had a long remission from it. It didn't last long for me, 7 weeks after we stopped it jumped right back up.

I also had to have transfusion when on it, it knocks your counts really low even with the shots. Docs give it different ways and I think that makes a difference too, you know the cycles are different. I got it for 5 days straight and then a couple weeks off I think. I dont' remember really well.

Pray this is the one that knocks the cancer out of your body. Hugs n Prayers Bonnie
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Hi Paula57,
    Sorry the other chemo isn't working for you. Currently I'm on Topotecan and just finished my 1st cycle. I get it once a week for 3 weeks, then 1 week off. I have had some headaches,nausea and fatique. It really does hit your white cells pretty hard, so I have a cbc before any treatments, my counts did fall but no enough to need a shot or to postpone the treatment. But like I said I've only had one cycle. You can also have it 5 straight days then 2 weeks off, and from people I know having it done this way, they seem to have much harder side effects,plus my onc said I actually get a bigger dose having it 1 time a week. He also said it dometimes takes Topo a couple of cycles to kick in, so I'm not expecting alot when I go to see him in a week. Good luck, I'll keep you in prayer..(((hugz)))..Joanne
  • collins
    collins Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Paula,

I had nine cycles of topecan and carboplatin. On the ninth cycle I became allergic to the carboplatin. I had one week of both drugs and the following week of just topecan. I tolerated both quite well except that they wreck you blood counts and I had to have shots every day to keep my white counts up. My hair thinned but I didn't loose it all and could get by without a wig.

good luck
    eleen
  • paula57
    paula57 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Joanne I'm going to be on the same cycle as you. (3 wks on and one off) The 7 cycles of taxol/3 carboplatin and 4 cisplatin did not bring my CA125 to normal so I'm hoping this will. Bonnie, I don't have a a hair on my body right now so the hair loss isn't a problem. Ha! The Dr said that I might have some hair grow back in. We'll see? Thanks again! Paula
  • paula2
    paula2 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    paula57 said:

Thanks everyone! Joanne I'm going to be on the same cycle as you. (3 wks on and one off) The 7 cycles of taxol/3 carboplatin and 4 cisplatin did not bring my CA125 to normal so I'm hoping this will. Bonnie, I don't have a a hair on my body right now so the hair loss isn't a problem. Ha! The Dr said that I might have some hair grow back in. We'll see? Thanks again! Paula

Hi Paula, I had Topotecan for 4 mos. last year and appreciated the brief remission and almost no side effects. We started to do it every week for 3, like you, and then went to every 10 days. I welcomed the time to travel and wish the lowered ca125 had lasted longer. Some hair thinning, but compared to other chemos, it was easy for me. You will probably get some hair back. I sure hope this works for you and that your side effects are minimal. Paula2