Question...

Options
pink05
pink05 Member Posts: 550
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone. Just have a question. After my dad had his surgery two years ago,his bowel movements haven't been the same. He gets constipated more often than before. Over the past few months, it seemed as if his bowel movements were regulated again. Now, he told me that he has been constipated for a couple weeks. I am worried because that is what his symptoms were prior to his diagnosis. He doesn't have any pain, just constipated. He had a CAT scan 1 1/2 months ago which was clear, and his colonoscopy last year was clear. Does anyone know why this could be happening, and any advice for getting him more regular?

Thanks and God bless,

-Lee-

Comments

• shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    The Holidays?
    If he had a scan that recently I would not worry too much about it. If it continues, he could call the doc about it, or try Senokot, drink more water and eat more veggies....
    Best wishes,
    Susan
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Hi Lee,

Happy New Year!!!!

I agree with Susan. Sounds like he is just a little backed up after the holidays.

I was told by a doc a long time ago that if you are constipated and want to poop, you should eat soft foods so your poop is soft too.

If he reallyw wants to "open" things up, tell him to try a fleet enema, they work every time!!!!

Lisa P.
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The dietitian at the cancer center told me that I should eat 25-30 grams of fiber a day. You might keep track of how many grams of fiber a day he's eating and adjust his diet as needed.
    Joy
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi Lee,

I agree with everyone. Another thing to try is Miralax. Make sure he doesn't let the constipation get worse. I know I worry when I get that way but I'm 2 yrs out and still not regulated. I'm sure I need to get back on my good diet to help it. LOL. HUGS and tell us how it goes.

Lisa F.