News Release ~ sounds promising

Options
BonnieR
BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Goodmorning everyone, I heard this on the news this week and wanted to share it with all of you.

A discovery made by a University of Minnesota scientist may give women diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer a greater chance for long-term survival.

Dr. Timothy Hallstrom, in collaboration with his former colleagues at Duke University, has found how key genes cause the breast and ovarian cancer cells to either multiply or die. The scientists have spent 7 years working on this project; their recently released data is based on tissue samples taken from 408 women diagnosed with breast cancer and 153 women diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

Hallstrom says cancer begins in pathways in the body that become extremely active through mutations. The new research, he explained, shows that certain pathways converge to block target genes from causing the cancer cells to die.

Hallstrom presented his research to the highly reputable journal "Cancer Cell" last summer, after performing a few more necessary experiments, his findings were released Tuesday morning.

Comments

• floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Thanks for the info Bonnie..wouldn't that be great,if we could all just get a shot or what ever it is too stop those cells from mutating and multiplying?? Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed!!!As well as praying had for the cure this year...(((hugz)))..Joanne
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Bonnie! It's always encouraging to hear they are working on something, and even moreso, that they are near an answer. We sometimes never hear more after the intial release of information, so knowing the source as you have provided helps us to keep tabs on it.

Again, your Caring Bridge journal blew me away! Will you be posting the good news here, or did I miss it? Either way, this is THE DAY that the Lord has made - lots to rejoice about!

Luv and Hugs,
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bonnie, I am going to google this study as soon as I leave this site. God's blessing on you. Saundra
  • lizper
    lizper Member Posts: 199
    Options
    Hi Bonnie, first of all Happy New Year, may God fill you with blessings this 2008. This news sounds great although I`m confused. dis you hear how this will be treated?? Will it be a clinical trial or is a new medicine? Is this targeted also for women with advanced OVCA?
    I pray that this is the begging of the cure for OVCA. Tks Bonnie. Liz
  • aussie59
    aussie59 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks Bonnie for keeping us informed on this substantial development and hopefully it will lead to a cure in the very near future. It is comforting to know that every day major advances are being made and I am sure if someone does discover the magic bullet the Ladies on this website would be the first to know and would have no hesitation in letting us all know the great news. Irene
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator