Help!!! Doctor is not

Options
lv2scrap
lv2scrap Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi there,

My dad is stage iv with mets to the bones. He has not been able to get chemo for two months because he was having severe reactions to the premeds. Has anyone had this experience? I took him for a second opinion and the doctor seem to think there were things that could still be done. Unfortunately, the second opinion doctor is not covered by my dad's insurance. He spoke with my dad's doctor and told him what he thought. Our doctor said that after speaking with him, the second opinion doctor now agrees with my dad's regular doctor. Long story short...our doctor said there is nothing further their office can do for my dad. She said(the Physician Assistant because the doctor never returns calls or answers the questions. He has her do everything)that the second opinion doc was going to see about getting him into a clinical trial.

My question is:
Aren't clinical trials not always free or covered?

Is it me or is the way the doctor's office said there is nothing further their office could do for my dad just wrong?

My dad is in severe pain in his back. They gave me absolutely not direction on what to do now. Is that normal?

Can any of you help?

Lv2scrap

Comments

• rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Options
    How frustrating! I am sorry you have to deal with this. I would keep on top of these doctors and demand answers, the second opinion doctor sounds like he can help you. I dont know too much about clinical trials but have heard a lot of success stories from them. Call the American Cancer Society and see if they can help you. Also, the pain needs to be taken care of asap so your Dad can use his strength to fight. Call that doctor today and ask what can be done. Good Luck.
    Robin
  • lv2scrap
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

lv2scrap
  • purzns1
    purzns1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    My situation sounds similar to what you are going through. My husband was diagnosed in Oct 2007 with stage 4 colon cancer with metastisis to the lungs.He was in a clinical trial with Avastin and yes our Ins. covered it. It just means they monitor his prognosis and the results are logged into the study. After 3 treatments they stopped everything and said the chemo failed because it has now spread to the spine . On Monday they told us there is nothing further they can do for him. I am looking for a second opinion, I am considering Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion,IL or the University of Chicago Hospital. Does anyone have an opinion on either one or any other suggestions?
  • lv2scrap
    Options
    purzns1 said:

My situation sounds similar to what you are going through. My husband was diagnosed in Oct 2007 with stage 4 colon cancer with metastisis to the lungs.He was in a clinical trial with Avastin and yes our Ins. covered it. It just means they monitor his prognosis and the results are logged into the study. After 3 treatments they stopped everything and said the chemo failed because it has now spread to the spine . On Monday they told us there is nothing further they can do for him. I am looking for a second opinion, I am considering Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion,IL or the University of Chicago Hospital. Does anyone have an opinion on either one or any other suggestions?

Has your husband been on any other treatments other than the clinical trial? Was it a phase 1 clinical trial? There are chemo regimins available to your husband. We are trying to switch oncologist as advised by the second opinion doctor. He is also offering us a clinical trial. We will wait and see if we can get a new doctor and see what he says. Check into chemo for your husband.
  • purzns1
    purzns1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    lv2scrap said:

Has your husband been on any other treatments other than the clinical trial? Was it a phase 1 clinical trial? There are chemo regimins available to your husband. We are trying to switch oncologist as advised by the second opinion doctor. He is also offering us a clinical trial. We will wait and see if we can get a new doctor and see what he says. Check into chemo for your husband.

Yes, the chemo combo was Avastin,(Leucovorin, I think this was an inhanser) Oxaplalatin and and a 48 hour infusion of 5FU Oct 12, Oct29 and Nov 12 Chemo was held 11/26 because he had a low grade temp 11/25 following the reinsertion of the PICC line and he was readmitted to hosp before next chemo because of pleural effusion they drained 2100 cc of fluid from r lung and then they did bilateral chest tubes and pleurodesis. He was placed on O2 therapy after pleurodesis and was sent home on 12 L of o2 and now he is on 8-10L and his pulse ox is 98-100%. He was given 1 more chemo of Ironotecan and Cetuximab (Murine) on 12/18. While he was on The first combo of chemo his CEA went from 23 to 11.9 and the onc said he failed because of the pleural effusion. He is 59 and we have a 16 yr old still in school.
    Sandy
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi. How frustrating, but I urge your dad to check further with the insurance company. There are appeals that can be filed and depending on the insurance company , the utilization board may approve the options that the second doc was proposing. My husband was on a phase 3 trial. The doc had to file an appeal with the insurance company to get approval, but we did get it. Also, was your dad assigned a case manager from the insurance company? Usually one is assigned in serious/cosly situations. Try reaching out to that person. If that fails, you may be able to reach out to the state insurance board in your area for assistance. Good luck and God Bless
    Diane