symptoms

tiffanyann1215
tiffanyann1215 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
hello all, i have not been diagnosed yet but im fearing it. for the past 3 months i have been dealing with horrible back pains, feals like labor pains,they go into my pelvis and down my legs its auful. i always have had pelvic pains especially with intercourse. also have been having constipation. diareah and gas. saw the doc did a pelvic exam and told me i pulled a low back muscle and probably ibs. i am 25. i had a ultrasound about 6 months ago due to my chronic pelvic pain and a transvaginal and all was normal.i guess my question is did anyone elese have these symptoms? ive also gained about 20 lbs. can a normal ultrasound 6 months ago ease my mind about avanced cancer? any help would be appriciated im waiting to see my gyne

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Tiffany:
    Please try not to worry. You had a clear transvaginal ultrasound which is the best you can get as far as ultrasounds go. IBS can definitely be the cause of many of your symptoms. Have you been check for endometriosis? That usually requires a laparoscopy (simple, out-patient procedure), but this could also be the cause of all those problems. What is your doctor doing for you? Has he/she done a CA125 blood test? It's really only a screening, but might be a good thing to get.

Still, if the symptoms persist and you are not content with the diagnosis, keep going until you find a doctor (preferrably a gynecologic oncologist) who will look further into the situation.

Hugs and prayers to ease your worries. Let us know how things are going.

Monika
  • tiffanyann1215
    tiffanyann1215 Member Posts: 5
    mopar said:

Tiffany:
    Please try not to worry. You had a clear transvaginal ultrasound which is the best you can get as far as ultrasounds go. IBS can definitely be the cause of many of your symptoms. Have you been check for endometriosis? That usually requires a laparoscopy (simple, out-patient procedure), but this could also be the cause of all those problems. What is your doctor doing for you? Has he/she done a CA125 blood test? It's really only a screening, but might be a good thing to get.

Still, if the symptoms persist and you are not content with the diagnosis, keep going until you find a doctor (preferrably a gynecologic oncologist) who will look further into the situation.

Hugs and prayers to ease your worries. Let us know how things are going.

Monika

thank you for your kind words, i try not to worry. they have told me it could be endo or pcos. right now my pcp isnt doing much and im waiting to be seen by my gyne, she suggested a lap last year but put me on bcp to see if it would help first, and it hasnt. i will ask about the 125 i know i havent had that just reg blood work up and hormone tests that show i have too much testosterone. im hoping it is something elese thats causing it all and not ovca. im hoping to at least get a repeat ultrasound at the least or a ct
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Hi Tiffanyann,
    I hope that all your tests for ovca come back negative. I agree with having another transvaginal ultrasound just to be sure, and I agree with Monika,endometriosis has the same type pain and nothing shows on a scan or ultrasound,you might need to have the lapro done now. The ca-125 blood draw would also be elevated if you do have endometriosis, but it is also a handy test to have.Good luck...sending prayers that all is well...Joanne
  • curlee8661
    curlee8661 Member Posts: 56
    Hi Tiffanyann,

As Monika said, what you're experiencing is probably not as serious as you fear, although apparently very painful for you. Was your weight gain "normal", or faster than normal and mostly in the belly area? Before I was diagnosed, I gained weight as well, but not so much in pounds but more in inches around my waist. To give you an idea, my waist measurement grew about 8 inches in 2 months with no signifficant diet change. My doc initially suspected IBS, and I had a negative trans-vaginal ultrasound about a year prior.

I aggree that you should ask for the CA-125 test, and repeating the ultrasound, and/or doing a CT scan should put your mind at ease. Just don't let your doc talk you into doing nothing! I don't mean to frighten you, I just want to make sure that you take care of yourself. Obviously, there's something going on with you that needs to be taken care of, and it's probably not as simple as IBS. Even on the off chance that it is ovca, you don't need to jump to the possibility of it being advanced. It's good that you're concerned enough to look into this, but don't drive yourself crazy by jumping to the worse case scenario! Just do the testing you need to get answers, and take care of it one step it a time!

Please let us know what happens after your appointment! Best of luck!

Marianna
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Marianna has my advice. I lost weight but my stomach grew. I would demand a CA-125 blood test, they are not expensive if only to get a base line number for later. Ultrasound missed my OVC completely. CT scan picked it all up. If your gyn doesn't do more testing I would change to another doctor. Hugs to ease your worries. Saundra
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Hi Tiffanyann,

Another ultrasound (if you can talk them into it, a color doppler ultrasound would be best) is certainly in order, as is a CA-125.

A CA-125 test is not a really good indicator, because they often don't show low-stage OVCA, and they can be affected by so many other things. I had a regular vaginal ultrasound (3 mos. before) and a CT scan (less than a month) before I was diagnosed; the only thing they showed were uterine fibroids. My OVCA was staged at 1C, so it was apparently not large enough to be evident to the scans.

I think a visit with a gynecolgic oncologist is in order, in light of your problems. They are far better trained to look into such continuing problems, and may have the simplest solution for you.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • I definatly aggree with everyone that has said to insist on a CA-125 blood draw and a CAT scan. im only 20 (19 at the time) and i had to pretty much force them to do the tests because they wouldnt because i was "too young" I had constipation, horrible back pains, and my stomach swelled. i thought i was pregnant. I will be praying for you hoping that it is just endometriosis. I also have that and that and would choose that over cancer any day. you just cant have anything with small seeds. depending on how bad you have it. All the woman here are wonderful and knwo that we are all praying for you, and are always here for any help and advice! try and keep positive. Love and hugs-Jennarose