Not good news

Options
CanadaSue
CanadaSue Member Posts: 339 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,

First off I would like to Wish everyone the best in 2008.

My hubby was dx in Jan 2006 stage 4 colon cancer, 2 surgeries later, and an illostomy, 9 rounds of chemo, we thought we had it beat. But alas the beast has returned. It is now on his bladder, now I do not recall anyone having it show up there. We have already seen another oncologist surgeon,who now wants to talk to a Urologist to see if surgery is possible.

Has anyone had the cancer spread to the bladder?
Please let me know.

Hugs

Sue

Comments

• vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear the news about your husband. The cancer can spread anyplace and to the bladder region is not uncommon as it is a fairly local spread. Hopefully they can do surgery to remove it as that still gives the best chance of returning to NED status. We will pray for a good outcome.

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Happy new year to you, too! I'm so sorry to hear the news. The spread to the bladder is not uncommon, especially for those with HNPCC or Lynch Syndrome. My aunt got mets to the bladder after her second go-round with the colon. Her entire bladder was removed, so she has a permanent ileostomy. She says it isn't bad and that the worse thing is checkups for the opening. She gets around; 2 colon, 1 endometrial & 1 bladder cancer. She is 73 and going strong! So think positive and keep going! One day this will be as ancient history as the Black Plague or Polio or Smallpox. God Bless!
    Kirsten
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    kmygil said:

Hi Sue,

Happy new year to you, too! I'm so sorry to hear the news. The spread to the bladder is not uncommon, especially for those with HNPCC or Lynch Syndrome. My aunt got mets to the bladder after her second go-round with the colon. Her entire bladder was removed, so she has a permanent ileostomy. She says it isn't bad and that the worse thing is checkups for the opening. She gets around; 2 colon, 1 endometrial & 1 bladder cancer. She is 73 and going strong! So think positive and keep going! One day this will be as ancient history as the Black Plague or Polio or Smallpox. God Bless!
    Kirsten

I like the thought of irradicating cancer. Maybe we need Dr. McCoy from Star Trek to beam our researchers some new breakthroughs.
    Good luck with the bladder surgery Sue and let us know what you find out.
    Jo Ann
  • CanadaSue
    Options
    vinny3 said:

Sorry to hear the news about your husband. The cancer can spread anyplace and to the bladder region is not uncommon as it is a fairly local spread. Hopefully they can do surgery to remove it as that still gives the best chance of returning to NED status. We will pray for a good outcome.

Hopefully we will find out this week if the surgery is a go or not.

Thanks for the prayers, we sure can use them.

Hugs,

Sue
  • CanadaSue
    Options
    kmygil said:

Hi Sue,

Kirsten

Kirsten,

Thanks for your reply. What is HNPCC and Lynch Syndrome?

It is nice to see some sucess stories on this site.

Hugs,

Sue
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Sue, best wishes to you also in 2008. Keeping you both in my prayers. Please keep us posted.
    God Bless,
    Diane
  • davidsonxx
    davidsonxx Member Posts: 134
    Options
    CanadaSue said:

Kirsten,

Thanks for your reply. What is HNPCC and Lynch Syndrome?

It is nice to see some sucess stories on this site.

Hugs,

Sue

HPNCC is Hereditary NonPolyposis Colon Cancer. Lynch Syndrome is just another name for the same thing. It is a genetic mutation that has been linked to a predisposition for colon cancer and other related cancers.
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that the cancer has spread. I know this is the last thing you wanted to hear. I don't know much about this, but hopefully it is possible to remove this with surgery. He has been through so much, I know he can beat it again. keep the faith!

Faith
  • m120407
    m120407 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Like Vinny3 said colon cancer seems to spread in areas of the pelvic region. Mine went to my liver. My prayers are with your husband and you that you will get to the right surgeon who will be able to help. God Bless
  • CanadaSue
    Options

HPNCC is Hereditary NonPolyposis Colon Cancer. Lynch Syndrome is just another name for the same thing. It is a genetic mutation that has been linked to a predisposition for colon cancer and other related cancers.

Thank you for your reply. As far as we know it is not hereditary.

Hugs,

Sue
  • CanadaSue
    Options
    m120407 said:

Hi Sue,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Like Vinny3 said colon cancer seems to spread in areas of the pelvic region. Mine went to my liver. My prayers are with your husband and you that you will get to the right surgeon who will be able to help. God Bless

Thank you all for your replies, it is greatly appreciated.

You are all in my prayers!

Hugs,

Sue