rash! ouch

tdb1985
tdb1985 Member Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
has anybody had the rash from doxil and if u did, was it very painful? i'm having such terrible pain, taking pain meds, but it doesn't seem to touch it. thanks for your help

Comments

• Keelie
    Keelie Member Posts: 97
    Oh, how well I remember the pain!!! I had a bad rash on my bra area, and then the worst of it was on the back of my legs. They told me to wear only mumu's, and no underwear. It seems to have a lot to do with pressure, because you also get it on your feet from your shoes. Bonnie, on this board, has some great advice! One cream, the original Eucerin helps, and cool sea salt baths too. Did you just start it? How long are you going to be on it? Here's hoping it works for you and puts you in remission. Hugs, MM
  • aussie59
    aussie59 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks Keelie for the advice. The rash on my legs is driving me insane. I am worried about infection. I have had 3 treatments and my numbers have gone berserk. My medical team cannot work out if it is from dead cells or the doxil is not working, so they decided to leave me on it for a few more treatments. I had doxil in Sept 2003 and I had no side effects including no rash and after 6 treatments it gave me 18 months remission. It is a very different result this time. Irene
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    The rash is bad, are you eating ice or drinking ice water during infusion? Also don't forget to follow all the rules and actually follow them a few longer than they recommend. I used cold rice packs for hands and feet. Also cold gel packs.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, it can become awful as MM mentioned. Eucerin creme, the original is great stuff and the soaks in tepid bath with the sea salts really helped. Once you can take lukewarm water. I also used it in cold water for my feet. My feet were the worst.

You are so right the pain meds don't help. But ativan or ambiem did help me sleep or else I would have gone crazy.

gentle hugs and lots of prayers coming your way.

bonnierose
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    TDB,
    I have had doxil and I did have a very bad rash...it left scars on my legs. I did not have any pain with it,just very itchy. Call your Dr., you may be having a very bad side effects from the Doxil,are you taking any benadryl or some cortisone cream for the rash?? They both helped me alot....hope you feel better soon...((((hugz)))..Joanne
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    floridajo said:

TDB,
    I have had doxil and I did have a very bad rash...it left scars on my legs. I did not have any pain with it,just very itchy. Call your Dr., you may be having a very bad side effects from the Doxil,are you taking any benadryl or some cortisone cream for the rash?? They both helped me alot....hope you feel better soon...((((hugz)))..Joanne

TDB, don't use the cortisone unless you get the okay from your dr. That is one of the nono's on the list for doxil. Hope you are doing better already. And for sure if you haven't talked to your dr about the rash call them!
  • v_jackson31
    v_jackson31 Member Posts: 1
    Hello...I just signed up with this mailing list and I saw your post...
    When I started Doxil, I was given a little kit that Doxil put together for patients. These kits were left with the doctor. In the kit is a cream called BIAFINE. It is a cream that is used by the firemen when they fight fires...At the first sign of the rash, I use the cream, and the rash goes away. The doctor can write a prescription for it. I am not working at the moment, although I would like to go back in the next month, but I also do not wear underwear or bras, and I wear long loose cotton nightgowns for about 2 weeks. The cream helps, and I would recommend it. You may need to use it more than once, but you also have to drink cold water and keep hands and feet on the ice packs (I went to Walmart and bought 4 large "blue ice" containers. They freeze well, are large enough, and cost $1.99 ea).

When I had Doxil last month, I had the prickly sensation on my hair/head on top, and a migraine that no pain medicine would touch...just stayed in a dark room with low noise and lot's of water. It went away after about 4 days. Would that be the pain that you are talking about? Hope I don't have it this time, but I at least know what it is like if I do.

Good luck.
    Vicki in Wylie
  • tdb1985
    tdb1985 Member Posts: 35
    Thank you all for your replies! I love this site, I have been a member since 2005 and come back to read constantly. Everybody has such a positive attitude and you all are so helpful!
    The doxil is working very well. I have had 5 treatments. My CA-125 went up to 170 and is down to 59, I have a treatment tomorrow, maybe. This rash is so bad, I really cannot do too much. Ono may set me back, hope not, but I can understand if he does, I dont like that, but the rash is blistering. The pain I have is where the rash is at. Been to the ono and he gave me a script for the Biafine (thanks Vicki in Wylie) Didnt know about the ice packs, have to do that. I was using the Eucerin and bag balm, but I called the ono because pain meds weren't touching this, so they wanted to see me. thats when they gave me the biatine and said to take the saline or salt baths.
    Again, thank you all, for the thoughts and prayers, you are in mine also. This message board is one of the best things for helping in my fight against OC.
    Debbie