Brain mets

Options
tmd
tmd Member Posts: 39
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My wife had the Gamma Knife done at the Cleveland Clinic three weeks ago for 7 brain mets. She has
been very tired and weak. I`m not sure if they did her any good or not. The other night she thought she was ready to die. Her breathing was very shallow and slow. It appears her time is very short. Can anybody tell me who has experience this as caretaker how short of time is left and how lifes ends for somebody like this.
I`m a real believer in quality of life.

God Bless

Comments

• PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Options
    I think you should make sure her doctors know about any difficulties your wife is having, and follow their advice about dealing with the problems. They're the experts -- try to help them.
  • jenalynet
    jenalynet Member Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have no answers for you, I only want you to know that I will be praying for both of you. Audrey.
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I only know from my own experience during chemo that I thought I was going to die twice. The problem I had was dehydration and subsequent failing blood pressure. My breathing got very shallow and slow and I couldn't even summon the energy to explain to my husband that I thought I was dying. Fluids really helped. That is all the advice I can give you--to make sure she is hydrated. I will be praying for you and your wife.
  • mindy10
    mindy10 Member Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi Sorry to hear about your wife. When my dad had stage 4 colon cancer I too wondered when his life woudld end. The Dr's pretty much told us when he was failing and how much time he had left. With my dad his blood pressure started to go down and his kidneys started to shut down. We could tell because his urine was red/orange. The drs told us he had 2 months and he died 2 1/2 months later. She could be feeling like this because she just had gamma knife done. Talk to her dr's and see what they have to say. If you really want to know what to expect at the end of life you can email me and I will tell you what we went through with my dad. Mindy
  • valeriec
    valeriec Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    tmd,
    Talk with your wife's doctor. What are they saying?? When my mom had Cyberknife for adrenal mets, they said she would feel like she "hit a door" about 2-3 weeks after the procedure. My mom did get very tired around that time. I don't know anything about Gamma Knife, but it could be that it is what is causing your wife to be so tired and weak. I think it would be best to talk with the doctors. We were also told to call in pallitive care, and finally hospice. I can not say enough good things about these people. They are very kind and are willing to help you sort things out. One of the best things they did for us was to get my mom's pain under control. They did all the leg work. We did not have to call doctors or even go pick up the prescriptions. They also made sure that we had everything we needed to take care of my mom. Again, I would try her doc first. Maybe she is low on fluids. Good luck to you, and you both will be in my prayers.
    You could email me if you have any other questions. I would be glad to answer what I could, or just be there to listen. I know how hard this is.
    God bless-
    ValerieC