new drug

vac
vac Member Posts: 97
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
it has been 5 years i have been on tomoxofen now my occ wants to put me on femara(i hope this is how you spell it) for 5 years. are there any weird side effects from this drug.

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Hi Vac! Yes, there are some unpleasant side effects from Femara but not everyone gets them. I had been on Tamoxifen for 5 years the went to Femara. I lasted 8 mos then went to Aromasin , for 1 1/2 years,which is the same type of drug. I had joint pain in multiple joints(2 trigger thumbs too) as well as increased Cholesterol(on meds for this now), sleep problems,weight gain, dry eyes as well as the continuation of hot flashes, more so than when on Tamoxifen. These are a few of the side effects.You have to decide if you want to continue on the preventative route or just hope that after the Tamoxifen, things will be allright. I was willing to stay on but it really was a major impact on my daily life. The medical community isn't really sure if after the initial 5 years, this med will really help. You should talk over your concerns with your MD and then make the best decision for you. Good luck with whatever you decide. You can e-mail me here if you have any specific questions. Take care. HUGS!! Cathy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm only sitting in my 2nd year post treatment. Taking Tamoxifen. I have decided that after 5 years that's IT! I will have given 7 years to cancer. That is MORE than it deserves!

My mom (granted, she was post menopausal) did 5 years...and no more...and no reoccurance....

I learned from the sides from Adriamycin that sometimes even the stuff meant to help, actually hurts...

If you do, watch your bone density. These drugs tend to compromise it. Ask about Actonel or Boniva at the same time.

Hugs, Kathi
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    I've been on Aromasin for several months now and haven't had any side effects that I can't live with. It bothers my sleep but I'm taking sleeping meds for that and I'm not sure that I can blame the weight gain on Aromasin-it had started well before the Aromasin. I haven't had any of the side effects that most people get, so it can be okay. Best of luck.
    Sheilah
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    I was given a choice of the same family of drugs and tried 3 of them out before I found one that worked for me without too many side effects. They are Arimidex, Femara, & Aromasin. I found that Femara made my stomach queezy... I found that Aromasin was the best for me.

So if I were you I would try one... if you don't like it try another .... I would give it a month at a time to see the real effect.

My Onc... is very understanding... and let me switch them around until I found the one that worked for me...

Hope you luck...

God Bless...

Susan
  • manna1qd
    manna1qd Member Posts: 46
    I have been on femara for over a year. I haven't felt side effects but I have to have a dexa scan periodically because it causes osteoporosis. I do experience a kind of grinding in my hips and lower back so I expect my next dexa will show changes. My oncologist told me I would need to go on fosomax for osteoporosis. I do take calcium supplements and I going to look into something called strontium instead of another medication. It a natural therapy in pill form.