second mastectomy

ladybluepgh
ladybluepgh Member Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
HI..I had a unilateral mastectomy in sept but now I am trying to get my insurance company to give me the ok for a prophylactic 2nd removal...I am not comfortable with the prosthesis and I'm having back pain ...anyone have an suggestions for getting my insurance company to cover the surgery.

Comments

• 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Check to see what the laws are in your state. I live in Mn and the law is that they have to cover everything related (including the prophylactic mastectomy any cosmetic follow-up, redos etc.

She
  • ladybluepgh
    3cbrca said:

Check to see what the laws are in your state. I live in Mn and the law is that they have to cover everything related (including the prophylactic mastectomy any cosmetic follow-up, redos etc.

She

ty she..I will do that...and merry christmas to everyone..may 2008 be the year that breast cancer researchers will find a cure...let this race come to an end...God bless you all.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I am not sure how to find out beforehand. I checked with my insurance and had the Dr. check in advance and they said they would not cover the prophylactic one, so we paid out of pocket. I just got a letter from the insurance yesterday (procedure was done the 21st) that the procedure would be covered. I guess we'll talk to the Dr. about reimbursement after Christmas. Good luck with it.

seof.
  • ladybluepgh
    seof said:

I am not sure how to find out beforehand. I checked with my insurance and had the Dr. check in advance and they said they would not cover the prophylactic one, so we paid out of pocket. I just got a letter from the insurance yesterday (procedure was done the 21st) that the procedure would be covered. I guess we'll talk to the Dr. about reimbursement after Christmas. Good luck with it.

seof.

ty...i checked with my insurance...they said payment would depend on how the doctor codes the procedure..geez..then i have to call again to see if it will be covered...i'm still paying my portion of the first mastectomy..i cant afford to pay a part of the second