Chemo--need some advice

wendye43
wendye43 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed in Sept., had a double masectomy in Oct., I am now going through chemo...just started last week. I'm feeling like I just can't handle this. My recovery from surgery was very difficult, then when I had a mediport put in my lung was nicked and I ended up spending 5 days in the hospital for a "day surgery"...not to mention having a chest tube inserted. Now I'm 5 days out from my first chemo, feeling very tired, very nauseated & could barely eat anything & simply miserable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting through these chemo treatments and maintaining somewhat of a life?

Anything would be appreciated, I know I'm a wimp, and there are many strong women and men who have battled this disease successfully. I guess I'm just looking for some kind of advice or inspiration. Thanks for reading. God Bless.

Wendy

Comments

• 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Hi Wendy

I have great doctors, but I still believe that Laughter is the best medicine. I used to crawl in bed after chemo for a couple of days and watch DVDs of my favorite comedians. For eating I was always able to get a bottle of BOOST down (couldn't handle the ENSURE).

It is a long haul - and we all understand exactly how you feel (the nurse hit me in the incision when she was trying to get the BP cuff off and I had to go back into surgery the next day and stay longer). We also all know you'll get there - one foot in front of the other. Really, laughter cures. Keep on keeping on!
    She
  • toninasky
    toninasky Member Posts: 102
    Hey Wendy,

I know that chemo is different for everyone, and when you start out with problems before starting it must make everything seem more scary. I had chemo and had no side effects with the first , but could not take the neulasta. It darn near killed me. I did have a problem after treatment 5 of the second part of chemo which was taxol. Most people breeze thru that one, and I did not. It put me in the hospital and stopped chemo. Radiation was a breeze for me, but then they started me on Femara. I had to have a doppler because of the pain in my legs, and I just had to see an orthopedic man for 4 trigger fingers. That took 4 steroid shots, and we are still not sure if it will help. So my point is, everyone is different, but I agree that you must try to stay positive, because THIS TOO SHALL PASS. I have been Cancer free for 1 year plus 4months. Be positive, and if you need to talk this is the place to come. It helped me tremendously. Chemo will not last forever, and someday you will be helping someone else who feels just like you.

Blessings to you, wishes for return to good health.

Toni
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Hi Wendy, you've had a terrible go of things before the chemo had even started!! Please don't be hard on yourself, feeling tired, nauseated, lacking appetite and grumpy is natural. You might find you start to feel a little better in the next couple of weeks.

Personally, I didn't try to "maintain a life". I just did what I felt I needed to do to get through it. I just took a deep breath and pushed on. And I wasn't very positive either. Good if you can but don't chastise yourself if you're not. Your feelings will change over the course of your tx and for years after. The good news is....nothing stays the same. Toni is right, this too shall pass. And you will gradually get better and better days. And 3Cbrca is right as well..laughter is good anytime and I too believe that it helps us heal.

KathiM (I believe) is a great advocate of drinking lots of water the day before, day on and day after your chemo. Perhaps if she is around she will tell you more of what worked for her.

Best of luck Wendy, we are here rooting for you.
    cheers
    jan
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I agree with the others. I think it is OK to be negative, just try not to stay there or let it prevent you from doing what you can to get better. Do not feel bad about taking care of yourself, or letting others do that for you for now. Just live as well as you can and take it moment by moment.

Best wishes, seof
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Along with the others here, let me extend you a personal invitation to be the TEMPORARY Queen of the Pity Party! We have all been there, and we share the crown as the need arises. Of course you are discouraged and feel you can't handle it. But you can, Wendy, and we are here to help you. We all ride this rollercoaster together, and even if we have had a different experience, we certainly empathize with each other.

Keep your DR's phone number close at hand~on speed dial if need be! If you don't feel well,or are nauseated, it doesn't matter what time it is-- call your doctor. It doesn't matter if it is 2AM on a rainy Saturday night, it doesn't even matter if your Dr is there or not. Someone will be on call to help you and even prescribe meds if need be.

Many of us found it helpful to sip ,sip, sip water during and after chemo. It keeps the system hydrated and flushed. It does wonders for the body.

Also know that chemo too does end~ and its side effects will disappear as well! And the cancer? Well, you are already a survivor! Let the chemo do its work, and just know there is life Before, During, and After Cancer.

We are walking this journey with you, Wendy~ and you now have the good thoughts and prayers of untold sisters who wish you health , and a full remission.
    Keep in touch with us.
    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Hello wendye...
    I also lost both breasts (at different times) and had chemo, rads, etc.
    One way to get through this is to lock onto something you REALLY want to do in the future (a cruise? skydiving lessons?....well maybe not) and start planning that WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE now! Whenever you feel up to it do a little more of the planning exercises...even if you change everything later...no sweat. The idea is to lock your focus onto something other than 'reality' for now.
    This WILL pass....there is life after cancer...
    It's been 21 years since my first diagnosis.
  • billandpatty
    billandpatty Member Posts: 86
    If the nausea is bad, make sure your doctor/nurse knows about it because they can prescribe different meds for the nausea which may help make the first few days after each chemo treatment more tolerable. Advice from my aunt that had chemo before I did: always try to eat "something" each day. I found that when my appetite wasn't good and I couldn't figure out what I might be able to eat, I would go to the local deli and find some prepared food that I thought was appealing. My prognosis wasn't good 7+ years ago, my oncologist credits the chemo I received to my survival -- so hang in there, it's not easy but you can get through it one day at a time.
  • wendye43
    wendye43 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for all of your kind words and advice. It is much appreciated. I know you are right, I just need to take this as it comes and keep the big picture in mind.

I do have another question..has anyone ever tried accupunture for nausea and other side effects of chemo..wondering if there is any validity to it. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks and a blessed holiday season to all.

Wendy
  • deb2001
    deb2001 Member Posts: 23
    Wendy,
    Have you tried Zofran?