last chemo treatment!!

Options
rmap59
rmap59 Member Posts: 266
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi All,
I havent posted in a while but have tried to offer advice when I had knowledge of the subject or sympathy and prayers when I didnt. I have just finished my chemo regiment and am happy but I have been sicker then ever this last time. Question for you oldies(not in age but how long you have been on this forum) How long before you feel better?? I was on xeloda and oxaliplatum. Thanks for all your help during this journey in my life. Hope I can help someone like people have helped me on this site.

Cheers, Robin

Comments

• jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congrats to you about finishing chemo! My prayers are that you don't have to do it ever again. I'm still taking chemo this is my third time so I've always been tired.
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congrats Robin. finishing up a round of chemo is a big deal. you should be proud of yourself and celebrate just a bit.

I noticed the sickness feeling going away right away. within a month I was feeling pretty good except for the side effects that have been long lasting like the neujropathy.
    best of luck to you
    Mark.
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Congratulations on finishing your chemo! I know that is a huge relief. I did not do Oxaliplatin, but I think I started feeling pretty much back to my old self after about 3 months, maybe less after finishing FOLFIRI with Xeloda. I still have poor circulation compared to before doing Xeloda. I guess I'll never be able to climb Mt. Everest, alas! Anyway, I'm glad you found the site and all of our posts helpful. There is a post on colonclub.org about supplements and herbs. I can't remember what it said, but there is something that helps with neuropathy from Oxy, if you are still having problems. Check it out!
    Best wishes - and help out those newbies!
    Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA!!!

NAKED HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

It took about a month for me to feel 'good' again...but even before the month was up, I was working again....

Chemo is cumulative....that's the way it works....so you becoming sicker is not a surprise....

(Hummmmm, I guess I am both an oldie AND an old sucker....lol!)

Hugs, Kathi
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Getting off of chemo is a wonderful feeling even when you don't feel wonderful! Congratulations!
    My onc said it would take a year for the chemo to get out of your body and that even though you are not getting infusions your body is still reacting to the chemo. Truthfully, I gradually felt better and about 8 mo out I realized that I was feeling a lot better. I still suffer from neuropathy and chemo brain after 21 mo. I think I'll get to keep them both to remind me to be thankful after all that I've experienced.
    Jo Ann
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin,

Congratulations on your last treatment!!! You are a warrior! As usual, everyone is different. I started feeling less nauseated almost immediately (3-4 days), but I remained very weak for about 2 months. I still get very tired (I'm 9 months out from last treatment), still have neuropathy & bone pain. HOWEVER!!!---Consider the alternative. My onc said that I will probably always be quick to fatigue and that the neuropathy usually resolves all it's going to within about a year. Hope this helps.
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Congrats Robin. My hubby's last regular treatment was in August. He is starting to feel really good now. He may go back on the xeloda only for adjuvant therapy , but we hope for a limited time.
    I'm sure it sometimes takes longer, but I hope you will be feeling better in no time. Keep the faith and I hope you have a happy holiday season. God Bless
    Diane
  • KierstenRx
    KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Robin,
    Congratulations on being done!!!! I'm very happy for you. I know you feel like crap, but I agree with the others that it will take some time. For me I ended up with a bowel obstruction and more surgery 2 weeks after finishing chemo.
    After the surgery and dealing with fatigue and neuropathy it took a good 2-3 months to remotely start feeling like my old self. It has been 5 months now and the neuropathy is still there, but it seems to be getting better every month. I am getting more energy, but still have moments of extreme fatigue. I also have had some emotional issues show up post treatment that I was not expecting. Give yourself plenty of time. You have been through an ordeal. I would think though the sick feeling will be gone in time for you to enjoy the holidays.

I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.

Kiersten
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Congrats Robin!!!!!

I remember when you were wondering if you could finish.

I did not do the same chemo regime as you did but do know that the length of time you do the chemo seems to prolong the recovery time as well as cause more permanent lingering side effects.

Try to exercise and drink lots of water.....flush it all out!!!!!

Lisa P.

Lisa P.
  • jenalynet
    jenalynet Member Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin,
    I'm happy to read that you are finished with chemo. I hope you start feeling better soon, Audrey.