Newbie - Hi

HDLadyRider
HDLadyRider Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello all. I've been reading with much interest the postings. So glad I fell upon this site. My husband was diagnosed Stage IV colon cancer with mets to the liver, both lobes, in September. Surgery was planned for a resection of colon until they saw all of the spots on the liver. Sugery then cancelled, instead had a stent put in and is going on his 4th line of chemo. (Horrible side-effects and had to have the dose reduced) He is 53 years old and has lost 30lbs in two months. I'd be lying if I didn't say "I'm scared *$%^&#$!!!!
So, just wanted to say Hi, and I'd love to be a part of your great little community here since I'm so busy I can't find time for a support group where I live.
I'm remaining optomistic, even when they say he only has a 5-8% chance of 5-year survival. I tell my husband that someone has to be in that group so it might just as well be him as well as anyone else.

Thanks.

Comments

• sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Hi there,

I'm sorry you are here on this board but you'll get the support and answers that you need. First of all, don't read the stats. I did the same thing. I was diagnosed in September 2004 at age 48. I am also a Stage IV. I've had 3 recurrences (2 in the liver and one in the lung). Hopefully the chemo will shrink the tumors so that your husband can have the surgery. I lost a bunch of weight at the beginning too. He needs to eat anything that tastes good. I lived on glazed donuts, cheetos, and spaghetti O's for 9 months. If the anti-nausea medicine is not working have the oncologist subscibe another one until you get the right one. I tried everything and finally one concotion worked. Most important, keep a positive attitude.

Happy holidays to you and your family.

Debbie
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Hi HD. Sorry you had to find us but glad you made it here. First, throw away the statistics. They are worse than a weather report and they only minimize the power within us. I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion for going ahead with surgery. Also, did they discuss oblation (radio frequency). it can often be very effective in the liver.

don't hesitate to let us know of the side effects. It seems this group has a remmedy for everything. I have been going through a rough time lately myself and I can honestly say, without my core group here on CSN, life would be quite a bit harder. It means allot when a fellow survivor or supporter understands what you are going through.

Never forget that the cure is only one day away. That day may be tomorrow so hang on baby.
    peace to you, your husband, and family.
    Mark.
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Sorry that you had to even look for this site, but glad that you found us. There is so much information and understanding here!
    Jo Ann
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Sorry your hubby and you have to go through this, but there is hope. I was diagnosed June, 2006 with Stage IV and so many mets in the liver that they couldn't be counted. (Note: past tense!) My liver looked like it had freckles there were so many tumors. Anyway, they took out the colon tumor ASAP, then put in the port and I did 16 rounds of chemo. I am now NED (no evidence of disease). I am really wondering why they are not getting his tumor out of there. Did they give any reason? That is usually the first line of defense and I am surprised they haven't done it. I stared the chemo 1 1/2 months after surgery. The mets aren't going to take over in a short time. I would encourage that you question this and/or get a second opinion. Let him know that the chemo is his best friend for now. It CAN work...it just sucks when you are on it. What kind of chemo is he on?
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm only a stage III rectal, but I can tell you about a patient partner of mine (I am on my 12th...lol....even talk wierd subjects)...
    He is a 34 year old stage IV, mets to the liver and aorta. He was told 'no surgery' at first. He went on a VERY aggressive chemo routine....slammed him, but he kept his positive spirit, and, 3 months after being told 'no surgery' he had 60% of his liver removed, 12" of colon, and something around the aorta.

He became cancer free after that.

It's a strong word, HOPE, but it's effective. He didn't give up, and he is back to work less than a year after diagnosis, when originally he was told to 'get his affairs in order' (MAN do I HATE that...even tho we ALL should, even non-cancer people....).

Welcome to the site....we are here to help. I didn't know about this site till after my rectal cancer was over....and I was being treated for my stage II breast cancer...(I obviously got in line twice....thought I was getting seconds on food...)

Hugs, Kathi
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Hi and welcome. I'm also the spouse of a stage IV survivor with liver mets. I hope you can take time to review previous posts. My husband had colon resection in Jan, told inoperable for liver mets.(too many) 9 chemo treatments later, had liver resection when in actuality there were 2 mets (not the original 5 or 6 thought). This doesn't happen unfortunately for everyone, but it does happen. So please keep the faith , be sure you get second opinions and research all options. Email me here if I can answer any questions you have. I'd be happy to do so. God Bless
    Diane
  • tamil
    tamil Member Posts: 13

Hi and welcome. I'm also the spouse of a stage IV survivor with liver mets. I hope you can take time to review previous posts. My husband had colon resection in Jan, told inoperable for liver mets.(too many) 9 chemo treatments later, had liver resection when in actuality there were 2 mets (not the original 5 or 6 thought). This doesn't happen unfortunately for everyone, but it does happen. So please keep the faith , be sure you get second opinions and research all options. Email me here if I can answer any questions you have. I'd be happy to do so. God Bless
    Diane

I am also stage IV with no surgery option. YET, I say that cuz I hope for surgery option in my future. They say I wouldn't make it to chemo if I had surgery on colon because of fast growing cancer. I was diagnosed beginning of September and just finished 6th folfox with avistin treatment, we are seeing shrinkage, I just need for some of the spots on my liver to disapear

It is great to see stories of people that were told not operable to go to operable. Please keep up the positive stories, they mean so much to people like me that are looking for hope
  • sandyjg
    sandyjg Member Posts: 71
    Welcome to your new best friends. My husband is similar to yours, 55 years old dx July 05 Stage IV colon with lots of liver mets. He is struggling a bit now, but until recently he golfed several times a week, took lots of trips and did almost anything he wanted to do. We are now on a new chemo as 1st chemo's stopped working. I know how scared you are as I share your fears. Tell your husband to get those stats out of his head. we are all very different and they learn new tx's daily. I will share our surgeon's advise to us. He said you can either focus on living or focus on dying. Those words have helped me tremendously (most days). Take care and go out there and live your life.